OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 12:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:22 

Def-attack wrote:
Attacker wrote:
i can second the statements from Beta 100%. Spectol forever !

Me too now, Spectol is a lot lighter.

Agreed! And I'm glad you made the switch. After trying LP chopping for a few months, I decided the pros of SP chopping far outweighed the cons, and only figured that out after trying Spectol on my Defplay Senso. If the blade is slow enough, Spectol seriously shines as a perfect all around easy chopping rubber, while being more than capable of offensive service returns and emergency close-to-table blocks.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:29 

As an addendum to my review, I must add a bit of frightening news:

After ordering a couple more sheets and comparing them..

Both sheets were 1.9-2.1 (it comes with a stated approximation, given that TSP does forwardly allow themselves some room for error)
However, I've seen many people assume that this is 2.0, and label their equipment as such. Be aware of this: when you order from TSP, it is a gamble!!! Hence their large margin for error/inconsistency as stated on the packaging.

As for a weight cut to the blade (the blade being a Stiga Clipper), the two 1.9-2.1 sheets I ordered clocked in at 36 grams and 44 grams, respectively. What the $%&! ? And true to my order, the "1.9-2.1" stamp was printed on the backs of both sheets, just to reassure me that I wasn't going crazy. The black sheet felt, between my fingers, like a 1.7mm or barely a 1.8mm, while the red sheet felt like at the very least a 2.2mm. The weights prove my assertion, and I only decided to weigh them after noticing such a pronounced discrepancy.
And I know it's not just a color issue, because last time I ordered, the black felt a bit thicker!

I'm not sure what's up at the TSP factory; I completely love and support their products, but I must say this gross lack of competence is a little disappointing.

However, given the other options on the market, I'd still order Spectol or SuperSpinpips over anything else, even given the inconsistency of sponge thickness. Just saying. (and no I'm not getting paid by TSP, but I wish I was!)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 00:44 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Beta wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
Attacker wrote:
i can second the statements from Beta 100%. Spectol forever !

Me too now, Spectol is a lot lighter.

Agreed! And I'm glad you made the switch. After trying LP chopping for a few months, I decided the pros of SP chopping far outweighed the cons, and only figured that out after trying Spectol on my Defplay Senso. If the blade is slow enough, Spectol seriously shines as a perfect all around easy chopping rubber, while being more than capable of offensive service returns and emergency close-to-table blocks.

Aside from the obvious benefits in attacking, what other benefits does SP chopping afford over LP chopping? I've never gotten clear on that.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 09:26 

Japsican wrote:
Aside from the obvious benefits in attacking, what other benefits does SP chopping afford over LP chopping? I've never gotten clear on that.

As far as I can tell, SP is better for spin variation, LP better for consistent, heavy backspin. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 09:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I just started using TSP Super Spinpips 21 Black 1.9-2.1mm. Very accurate compared to 802 and even Legend 105. Excellent for blocking off the bounce, and of course, for whacking the #$@! out of the ball. Spinny serves cause a surprising amount of trouble including a good many whiffs.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 10:24 
Super User

http://youtu.be/xVotE4cLLHQ

spectol and baraccuda on x.series defensive combi

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 15:11 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
I just started using TSP Super Spinpips 21 Black 1.9-2.1mm. Very accurate compared to 802 and even Legend 105. Excellent for blocking off the bounce, and of course, for whacking the #$@! out of the ball. Spinny serves cause a surprising amount of trouble including a good many whiffs.

Do you play cpen?? well the millon dollar question what will be the modern equivalent of spectol and spin pips with tensor technology, I ve heard that victas 102 is like ssp21 and 101 is like spectol

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 14:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I play shakehand, SP on FH / LP on BH.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 05:07 
Super User

Beta wrote:
One of my new favorite short pips from my single favorite pip-out manufacturer, TSP. I got the 2.0mm, due to my previous experience of TSP Spectol feeling too thin in 1.8 and too thick in 2.2. If only they made Spectol in 2.0mm too.. I don't see why not, seeing as they did for Wang Tao. Anyway, onto the review.

The look: More opaque and unimpressive than any TSP pip I've ever seen! It rivals Chinese-pip cheapness in looks, to the point that it even looks like the mold used to cast the pips looks like it was very slightly overfilled... while all the pips are flat on top and more or less the same shape, some of the tops are slightly wider than others in a way that could not be intentional. Looks like a version of 802-40 with even lower quality control. What I love about it, however, is the slightly conical shape that the pips have (the quality that made the original Spinpips so amazing). because of the wider base and narrower tip, the sides of the pips can grip the ball to maximum potential on spin shots, but still deliver a perfectly flat SP shot on flat shots that only involve the tip of the pips hitting the back of the ball.

The feel: Semi-soft semi-firm rubber comprising the topsheet.. Amazing spin potential for a SP rubber, without excessive spin sensitivity. Again, this depends on where the ball is struck; if you block loops flat it gives a very user-friendly SP-effect block (but nothing like the truly non-spinny pips), while incorporating the sides of the pips gives you control over imparting spin onto the ball. The sponge for this is Perfect.. Somehow, TSP has managed to create yet another sponge on par with Spectol, which is undeniably one of the best sponges for a SP rubber out there. (Wang Tao, Hou Yingchao, and Tan Ruiwu couldn't all be wrong, right?). Very soft, allowing exceptional control on blocks and SP-topspin-drives, yet JUST hard enough to achieve good flat hits (something that I could never do as well with TSP's 21 sponge).

The throw angle: Medium for a SP, which, the more I play with, the more I come to appreciate. A low-throw SP is the most straight-shooting and easiest to block with, however a throw just slightly higher than low provides one with many more attacking options, provided they have good enough control on blocks to keep opponents' high-spin shots on the table. Super Spinpips balanced throw angle and trajectory-length perfectly, giving a very high landing percentage on your shots, and allowing you a greater arsenal of shots, from pretty solid opening loops against backspin, to driving anything from completely dead relatively low balls to high-spin loops.

Against chop: This is the business. Never have I used an SP that could do BOTH hitting through of backspin or looping it with significant topspin with such ease. Again, I attribute this to the conical shape of the pips. A+, TSP.

Serves:Remember Liu Guoliang? Remember his serves? Okay, so I can't serve as well as him, not even close. But the point is this; very, very easy to change your point of contact on the rubber (side of pips or top of pips) to produce what your opponent would perceive as the same stroke, while producing wildly different spin/no-spin variations. The strongest serving SP I've ever used, hands down.

Against Topspin balls:
Heres where it takes a little more skill, and a little more Johnny-Huang'ing of the stroke to be successful. This is not Zhan Jian's Short pip; if you use little-to-no stroke and slap every ball, you'll invariably hit a lot of seriously heavy loops from your opponent well off the other end of his side of the table. Given the softness of the sponge and the spin-potential of the topsheet, you can imagine that this isn't the least-sensitive-to-topspin rubber out there. So think of the stroke like half-way between inverted and SP. Start higher and finish lower than an inverted loop stroke, but still maintain the right-to-left, down-to-up, 45 degree angle stroke of a Real stroke. Digging into the ball like this provides enough friction to counter the opponents topspin and prevent your shot from going off the table, while at the same time making your return fairly dead and allowing you high accuracy for placement on your return. Anyone serious about playing SPs on both sides should study Johnny Huang like the bible, and really get into making a Full SP Stroke with their forehand and backhand. [If you're only an SP backhand player, the whole game and strategy is entirely different, so I wouldn't say this philosophy applies. When I played SP BH Inv FH, my SP backhand was best used place-blocking, punch blocking, and hitting through spin with short wrist snaps, mostly setting up FH loop-kills]

Overall: A rubber for the SP connoisseur.. One who doesn't know a lot about SPs or how to execute a stroke properly with a spinny, soft-sponged SP would hate this, and would be better off going with Haifu Dolphin or RITC 802 (boosted) for polyball slapping. However, the Johnny Huang enthusiast would and should crave this rubber, I highly recommend it. If you aren't playing in ITTF tournaments, boosting would help a great deal in bringing this rubber to its full potential, but I haven't boosted it thus far and I still love it.

why its better than 802 or dolphin? what can SSP can do than 802 cant(both boosted)?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2018, 14:34 
Super User

Beta wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
Thanks for these informative elaborations!
I have been using 802 for awhile and I fully understand what you are saying about being able to produce spin or no spin. Not that 802 is good at this since pips at close togehter, not at all conical and not very soft or grippy. But I want to be able to do different spins with small modifications of bat angle, that was one of my main reasons for changing to SP 2 months ago (also because I was a little bored with LP).

I do have a sheet of TSP Super Spinpips on Chop Sponge 2 1,0 mm. I tried it almost 2 years ago and very shortly 4 months ago without not knowing much how to handle SP. Now I know a little more and I will try it again but I really didn't like the supersoft sponge. I also have a sheet of Globe 889-2 (Wang Yang was said to use this) that looks rather similar to Super Spinpips but with pips slightly less wide apart, and perhaps a little thinner pips. These are my two next pips to test, they will play rather different from 802 I guess.

But I am also very curious about Spectol. How does this pip fit into this picture? Cylindric or conical pips? Widely spaced enough? I know they are vertival aligned and that can do a little for spin production. I uses my SP mainly for chopping and pushing, but also some hitting. I would like to be able to block also, but that has proven very difficult with 802 on a 1,0 mm sponge (at least to block aggressive looping/smashing). I also posted my wonderings in this subject a few days ago in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16270&p=289239#p289239

Spectol is perhaps the best all-around pip currently on the market. People often fall for the fallacy that 'new technology' makes for the best equipment, but Spectol in itself proves that assertion completely wrong, being decades old and still beating out today's competition.

Spectol's pips are not at all conical and are semi-glossy, as opposed to the untreated look of Chinese pips, and are very small relative to all pips on the market. While they don't have the unique effects of the conical pips of Super Spinpips, they are smaller and more flexible, while being equally clustered (meaning that there is more room between the pips as opposed to Super Spinpips or 802-40, because the pips are smaller), which gives them perhaps the most superior feel and control in passive/active blocking, and most definitely chopping.

Something like Super Spinpips is something I would recommend only to those who play it with penhold FH, or SP FH (best combined with SP BH) with shakehand. The reason being, the variation in shots is useful when you can set up the right follow-up shots to make the most of it. Where it most lacks is in the passive or out-of-position blocking, and even when active blocking, does not produce as powerful a block as a pip like Spectol. That of course being because of its inherent capability for spin variation; you must be in control of the pip to use it to your advantage. This makes it especially suspect for chopping, and while I know TSP has manufactured a Super Spinpips with chop sponge (which I haven't tried), the topsheet indicates that it would be less reliable for controlled manipulation of shots under the duress of facing heavy loops and drives.

Spectol, while slightly more spin insensitive, can produce immense spin against topspin, dead balls, or even backspin. (This is a separate future post, but to sum it up, short pips can produce heavier spin than even inverted rubber if used properly, because the ball does not 'catch' on the rubber and get propelled forward; all the forward momentum is created by the user, as is all of the spin. So a short, extremely heavy chop will travel a lesser distance and with lesser pace across the table, therefore requiring your opponent to apply more of their own force to return the ball back onto your side.) The control of Spectol in defensive shots, as well as in flat-hit aggressive shots, far outweighs that of Super Spinpips.

Super Spinpips most excels being used extremely close to the table (preferably on both sides, or if you must, LP on backhand), because of its incredible short game variation, and its greater potential for a wider variety of aggressive shots able to be employed to finish off a point, or at least stay on the offensive. Anything passive, defensive, or crucially counter-play (which most closely treads the line of offense and defense, and is therefore important to mention) is much better served with Spectol.

When I play with inverted on the forehand, these days Spectol is my first choice, due to its ability to counterdrive loops close to the table, and allow my backhand to be passive so that I can focus my energy on stepping around to take 80%+ of shots with my forehand.

Addendum in regards to Spectol:
I play with Spectol on the backhand of OFF to OFF+ composite blades, and can beat most players under 1850 USATT playing as a chopper, which I'm not very good at at all and rarely practice. Keep in mind these blades are looping blades, fast as all hell, and not at all condusive to a defensive game. Spectol in 1.8mm with its regular sponge has to be the best BH chopper rubber I've ever tried (I've tried countless SP and LP testing this purpose), because of its relative ease of chopping combined with its potential for variation away from the table, and its passive or aggressive potential close to the table.

I want to know if there s a cpen player at least 2200 who plays with sppips not he zhiwen who must use a special version

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 22:28 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
bbkon wrote:

I want to know if there s a cpen player at least 2200 who plays with sppips not he zhiwen who must use a special version

I thought the claim that HZW was using 802 pips was well established?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2018, 13:34 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
bbkon wrote:

I thought the claim that HZW was using 802 pips was well established?

But since hzw is famous is very likely he has a special rubber like gao jun had and the rubbers used by pros are very diffrent from the comercial version.

Karlsson had a clipper that was very diffrent from the comercial version

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 06:32 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
Hope Beta is still on the forum.

Anyway reading between the lines for a shakehand player with inverted fh, you seem to be suggesting spectol is preferable.

My bh is still a bit pseudo inverted and not always flat enough for SP or MP, I currently use Spinlord Keiler, having switched from Spectol red.
After 2 years I think I want to go back to Short Pimples to attack a little more often and a little more.

I like the sounds of Spin pips, I have a sheet of Victas Spin pips d2 and a sheet of spectol s1.

I tried both briefly, and I guess spin pips just feel easier to transition from the kieler.

Do you still think Sp relevant with the poly balls on bh?

I just want to block and hit with them and play the odd low push, 90% at the table. I often favour my bh over my fh, and would want to be very aggressive with the pips.

Just wandering which way you might advice.

I could post a lot of video links of me playing if it helped.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 10:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I think aggressive play with SP is one of the best options with ABS balls, especially if you develop the ability to serve well and play a spin shot as well as a hit.

At higher levels there's an increase of players using SP on FH or BH, and some youngsters coming through the ranks using SP too.

I think Victas Spectol S1 is as close as you can get to the original Spectol with the 35 degree sponge.... it's very soft - much softer than Keiler. Maybe Victas Spectol S3 would be worth a try?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 16:15 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
i used spectol red before switching to kieler

i find kieler does not offer quite enough with abs balls personally, too easy to play against, whilst being quite difficult to be very very aggressive with

s3 might be worth another try

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!