OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 02:46 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
nathanso wrote:
I'm using Nittaku Beautry short pips in 2.0mm on a stiff 7W+2C blade. This rubber costs $44.95 from Paddle Palace.

By coincidence, I just started trying out that same rubber this week, though I'm using it in 1.8mm. (You can pick it up a bit more cheaply here: http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-beautry) So far, my impression is very positive. Maybe, not quite as much spin as the Spinlord Waran, which is what I was using before, but it makes up for it with incredible control. Still early, but it seems like a keeper.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 03:15 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
conradyoung wrote:
I recently changed back to short pips after a year-long experiment with inverted. I got the best training available in the U.S., but I feel more comfortable with short pips. Inverted has so many advantages when it comes to topspin attack, but my first days playing ping pong were with dead recreational rubber and I think the mentality has stuck with me.

I am also using dead recreational inverted rubbers, 2.0 mm on both sides. I know for fact that I want something faster on my forehand, but I really want to move on to SP's, and I'm at conflict as to whether I should get Spectol or SSPC 2 (when the time comes). I like the feel of my current crappy racket, but I know for fact that I can handle fast rubbers (I really liked Tenergy 64 with celluloid balls) so I might get something like Xiom Vega Europe in the future, but what to get for my BH... WHAT?!

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:14 
Super User

genrel001 wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:
Your choice of rubber is fine. Is there a specific reason as to why you want to get a different sheet?

Nothing specific. Nathanso said that 802-40 is obsolete and overrated, and doesn't fit the 40+ era anymore. It got me thinking maybe there's a modern SP that plays just like 802-40 but way better in a way that suits to the 40+ ball well.

victas 102 nice sink and good spin .very underrated

PostPosted: 22 May 2017, 23:43 
Super User

Had a hit with a friend of mine's Stiga Royal on a Stiga Offensive CR blade I think it was.

My first impressions is that the pips on it are straight. Not Conical like 802 or 802-40 are. The pip tops are textured just like 802. I would even say the pip size is about the same as 802 but smaller than 802-40. The sponge on the Stiga Royal is nice & springy. Pretty soft.

Honestly? It just seemed very similar to 802 to me which is high praise in my book. But having said that, why go that when you can get 802 or 802-40 at a fraction of the cost? I still prefer the 802 series. Best topsheet for me I've tried.

None of these rubbers, Stiga Royal or any 802 on any sponge I've tried were as fast ast TSP Spectol Red. That tuned sponge was a rocket. However I hated the spectol topsheet. About the lowest grip (classic type) topsheet as I've ever tried for a short pip.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 02:04 
Super User

suds79 wrote:
Had a hit with a friend of mine's Stiga Royal on a Stiga Offensive CR blade I think it was.

My first impressions is that the pips on it are straight. Not Conical like 802 or 802-40 are. The pip tops are textured just like 802. I would even say the pip size is about the same as 802 but smaller than 802-40. The sponge on the Stiga Royal is nice & springy. Pretty soft.

Honestly? It just seemed very similar to 802 to me which is high praise in my book. But having said that, why go that when you can get 802 or 802-40 at a fraction of the cost? I still prefer the 802 series. Best topsheet for me I've tried.

None of these rubbers, Stiga Royal or any 802 on any sponge I've tried were as fast ast TSP Spectol Red. That tuned sponge was a rocket. However I hated the spectol topsheet. About the lowest grip (classic type) topsheet as I've ever tried for a short pip.

but if royal pips are like a cylinder then must play diffrent to 802? how about the spin and control compared to 802?

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 04:07 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
I have been getting surprisingly good topspin with Joola Express Ultra. Flat hits are also extremely fast and precise. I was using Waran but it doesn't have enough grip for looping when I'm out of position for a flat hit.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 22:49 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
suds79 wrote:

but if royal pips are like a cylinder then must play diffrent to 802? how about the spin and control compared to 802?

While I agree with you in practice given the different shape, for me personally if I took a blind test without seeing the label or inspecting the pips, I'd have a hard time telling the difference. It simply felt similar to regular 802 to me.

The sponge was quite nice on the Royal though. Springy.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 02:14 
Super User

How do you guys like to personally handle backspin with short pips.

As far as I can tell, there's several ways to handle this so I guess i'm curious as to what you like to do?

As we all know, short pips doesn't create the arch like inverted so say a well chopped low backspin ball I think can sometimes be tricky to play.

Seems to me you have options of:
- Push or chop it back
- Soft loop it like you would inverted
- Scoop it.

When I loop a backspin ball with short pips, i tend to have a very flat paddle and i need decent blade speed because the ball naturally doesn't pick up very high. However because I'm only an amateur, I would say in a match this isn't a very high % shot for me.

Last night vs the robot in giving me short balls (simulating backspin short 2 bounce serves) and long backspin balls, I found it easier to hit a higher % in if I almost scooped the ball. This idea is new to me but I'm simply contacting the ball with a somewhat open face and letting the spin that's already there do most of the work. It's not very powerful though as I'm somewhat guiding the ball. Vs a serve I'd almost describe the stroke as some type of shovel push/attacking stroke. It tends to return deadish balls. I could see the variation in spin (sometimes it's backspin if I jab at it a little more) giving people troubles.

Is this scooping the ball a bad idea? Does any short pip player here use it? Should I only use it vs tough low balls and smash or hit through easier to hit higher balls?

Thoughts on technique? Thanks.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 20:38 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

nathanso wrote:
suds79 wrote:

PS - Nathanso. What are you playing with now by the way?

I'm using Nittaku Beautry short pips in 2.0mm on a stiff 7W+2C blade. This rubber costs $44.95 from Paddle Palace.

Review please!

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 01:29 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Shoebox9 wrote:
Review please!

I've also been using the Beautry on my forehand (though in 1.8mm), so I can offer these comments on it after having used it for about two months. (I play at around the 2000 level U.S.) Please note that I'm new to short pips (have only used them for a year after using inverted on my forehand for years before that (I use long pips on my backhand, though I constantly twiddle), and thus far, I've only used the Spinlord Waran and the Beautry (both on the same blade and both in 1.8mm), so I can't compare the Beautry to anything else. With that disclaimer, here's what I'd say:

- The Waran has a very soft sponge but a very hard topsheet; the Beautry's topsheet is much softer.

- The Beautry is not slow, but the Waran is significantly faster.

- As I understand it, the Beautry is decently spinny for short pips, but it's FAR less spinny than the Waran. There is a noticeable difference, especially on my serves and on chops; I haven't been using it for chopping that much -- despite the fact that my forehand chop with inverted is very spinny and consistent -- because it generates hardly any spin, and when I do chop with it, my opponent almost always overshoots the table in looping the next ball, so it's good for a change of pace, but as soon as your opponent catches on to the fact that you're getting no spin, he's going to start teeing off on you.

- For blocking, the Beautry is AMAZING. Again, note that I'm only comparing it to the Waran (and inverted), but blocks just have a way of finding the table, both when I use this rubber on the forehand or when I twiddle to the backhand. The Waran was more spin sensitive and thus, more temperamental on blocks.

- For attacking, the Beautry is also great. I loop and hit with it. Loops are not as spinny as with the Waran, but you definitely CAN loop with this rubber, and the ball is still spinning when it gets to the floor. Also great for hitting.

- There aren't too many "funky" effects you're going to get with this rubber (which I'm not looking for from it because I have my long pips for that and am using the short pips to serve, attack, change the pace and finish points), but with that said, depending on your contact, you can get some opponents misjudging the trajectory of the ball and thinking it's going to bounce higher than it does after your block. You can also do some nice sidespin blocks (I assume that's the case for most short pips). The Waran was more dangerous for this because of its higher spin that could really make the ball jump sideways after the bounce, but the Beautry also seems like a good rubber in this department.

- Again, I can't compare this rubber to some of the less spinny short pips people tend to use on their backhands primarily for disruptive blocking and flat hitting, but my sense is that if that's what you were going for, this wouldn't be your best choice.

Hope that's helpful.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 11:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Shoebox9 wrote:
nathanso wrote:
suds79 wrote:

PS - Nathanso. What are you playing with now by the way?

Review please!

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30520

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 06:53 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
Don't forget guys that everyone has a different way to hit the ball [b]for the same shot[b] so the result tend to be different.

Example, lately I have been experiencing the difference between attacking a short underspin push with very low posture, medium posture and high posture. High posture hit tend to send the ball down too often in the net as your body and arm tend to go downward. If you have a low posture the hitting tend to be more neutral or a bit upward. So for high ball I hit with high posture and low underspin ball more with low posture to compensate the underspin. It is more difficult to play with a lower posture as you will feel your legs burning.

As I'm 53 years old, it burn but I like to have these legs working. :D

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 23:08 
Super User

lensmall002 wrote:
I disaggre whith Nathanso in some points.
Only expensive stuff is good stuff? Big companies pay a lot of money for advertising and contract players (which is advertising as well).

:oops: :oops:

Well, opinions are like armpits. Everybody has them and they all stink right? :p

j/k. I think you take what people have to say, remember it but ultimately come to your own decision. We all have different styles & taste. I also try to remember what people like and gauge if their style is somewhat like mine.

Like if someone said they love Spectol, I know rubbers they like might not fit me. I tried Spectol Red ($28) and loved that powerful, tuned sponge but absolutely hated that topsheet. Just not spiny enough.

I prefer the 802-40 topsheet but agree with Nathanso that the stock sponge sucks. I don't know. Maybe he thinks the topsheet sucks also but I like it.

Right now I'm playing with that topsheet on a custom 30 deg air super soft sponge in 2.2. I really like the combination as the sponge is softer and I think gives better feel. I think total investment on that is $15 and without a doubt I think plays better than Spectol Red all be it slower.

I do however really look forward to trying Spinpips Red sometime as I think that just might be the perfect combination which i believe Nathanso or someone else liked. I'll get there in time.

But yeah you have to take into account what people say, try to determine if their taste is similar to yours but ultimately form your own opinions in what works with your game.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 18:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nice post MNNB! :up:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 14:16 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Emily Wang from the video was using Mizuno SPs for a couple of years. I don't think she was sponsored by them.

At lower level, I can't see difference with balls on SPs. My overall favorite is Haifu Dolphin but difficult to get with consistent sponge. Went back to the Friendship cheapies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!