OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2022, 16:43 

Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki Jpen
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1
Hello forum

I am wondering about perhaps getting a backup bat: a cpen bat with Friendship 802 (2mm) short pips on one side and DHS Cloud and Fog 3 (1mm) on the other side — to play a single sided (twiddling) block/hit/smash game to muck around with occasionally. I want to get a stiff 7 ply blade, but don’t know whether it should be hard or soft in feeling.

I am interested in knowing whether you, as cpen short pip/long pip hitters prefer a hard or soft feeling to your blades? Is a hard/soft feeling blade preferrable for either long pip or short pip hitting styles? What would you recommend?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2022, 05:57 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I prefer soft blade particularly Stiga Clipper Wood. Sunwei Fextra is very similar but cheaper. AFAIK Liu Guoliang played with either Stiga Clipper Wood or Stiga Clipper CR.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2022, 19:20 

Blade: Avalox P-900
FH: DMS Firestorm soft 2.1mm
BH: Spinlord Strahlkraft Ox
But also remember Liu played with a 38 mm ball which was much slower, Soft carbon blades seem a better option for Short pips.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2022, 23:40 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
My thoughts are that traditional firm sponge Chinese pips probably worked best with a hard blade to give them extra punch. The newer softer FKE sponge types probably suit a softer feel blade otherwise the sudden transition from soft sponge to bottoming out on a hard blade can cause loss of spin and control etc.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2022, 16:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

camrong wrote:
But also remember Liu played with a 38 mm ball which was much slower, Soft carbon blades seem a better option for Short pips.

From recollection the balls weren't slower, but the spun a lot harder. A loop that ended up in the net would remain there spinning for about a half second. Slow loops were hard to block, which is why a lot of people used anti back then.

ChasFox wrote:
My thoughts are that traditional firm sponge Chinese pips probably worked best with a hard blade to give them extra punch. The newer softer FKE sponge types probably suit a softer feel blade otherwise the sudden transition from soft sponge to bottoming out on a hard blade can cause loss of spin and control etc.

Looking at the blades in use back when penhold pips out hitting was the Chinese national style of play, they were those hard, heavy basswood blades, usually heavily lacquered.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2022, 05:53 

Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki Jpen
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1
iskandar taib wrote:
camrong wrote:

From recollection the balls weren't slower, but the spun a lot harder. A loop that ended up in the net would remain there spinning for about a half second. Slow loops were hard to block, which is why a lot of people used anti back then.

ChasFox wrote:

Looking at the blades in use back when penhold pips out hitting was the Chinese national style of play, they were those hard, heavy basswood blades, usually heavily lacquered.

Iskandar

Thanks for that info. I have researched those blades and the impression I get is that they are quite expensive and difficult to get. Since it would only be a fun backup bat, that might make things a little difficult. What fundamentally appeals to me about short pip penhold is the idea that you can buy a cheap 7 ply chinese blade (like He Zhi Wen) with £10 short pips and still have a good bat.

What sort of blades would be a good replacement for these antique hard basswood blades?
Would Rosewood or Walnut ones work well enough? (I am considering the Palio Way 002/003/005 series)