OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 06:52 

Thank you nathanso. You're right.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 07:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sorry if I missed it, but are there any downsides to the new ax version compared to regular Moristo?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 08:41 

Blade: Toni Hold White Spot
FH: Rakza 7, 2.0mm
BH: Mark V, 2.0mm
I still have a lot of experimentation to do with it. I played with it again tonight (team matches), but the slower blade really bothered me. If I'm going again tomorrow (just practice), then I might glue the Ax on the opposite side of the blade so the comparison is more apples to apples (still 2.2mm vs 2.0mm though).

The Ax is a lot more sensitive to incoming spin and there is no deceptiveness to it at all. I think nobody I was playing with today even would have noticed I played with pips if I hadn't told them.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 16:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I have returned to Nittaku Moristo SP Ax, having completed testing of Andro Blowfish+ and Joola Express Ultra. Considering testing Spectol RED and Victas 102 next..

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 18:34 

Please do. :rock:
Quote:
Considering testing Spectol RED and Victas 102 next

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 18:36 

I glued my Ax on the opposite side of my regular Moristo yesterday for a practice session.

The regular being 2.2mm and the Ax 2.0mm.

I believe I was wrong in my initial review. The soft wood that I was testing Ax on had more impact than I expected. On my Innerforce ZLC it felt less sensitive to incoming spin (I couldn't tell which Moristo was more sensitive), but strangely enough also less precise.

Swapping back and forth between the two rubbers during rallies were quite telling, and I *really* wish they had been the same sponge thickness too.

Overall, surprisingly, I much preferred the regular Moristo. It was faster, but also more precise. The two aspects I want from SP. I was hitting BH drives with it that wasn't working out as well with the Ax.

SP really is changing how I play. The harder rubber on Ax meant I had to hit the ball more than guiding it in a direction. Like baseball instead of bowling. With inverted rubber I much prefer the harder rubber; but apparently not with SPs. I'm guessing this has to do with the stroking of an inverted rubber vs the flat hitting of SPs.

I know that is almost completely the reverse of what I wrote earlier. I was very surprised by this myself. Maybe I am no good at reviewing rubbers :)

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 18:44 

I thought the Ax is supposed to be a bit faster than the regular Moristo SP but the difference in sponge thickness could have been a factor.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 21:17 

For sure it did. I am very tempted to buy another sheet in 2.2mm; but they aren't cheap, and I'm almost out of glue. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 16:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
On order..

Andro HEXER PIPS+ 2.1mm black
Victas VO > 102 max black
Sauer&Tröger Hass 2.1mm black

Will post reviews to respective threads.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 05:25 

@nathanso. Thanks. Looking forward to the reviews.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 02:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Doesn't Mima-chan use this, or does she use the regular Moristo SP?

Kinda interesting that there's Moristo inverted, Moristo short pips and Moristo long pips. Looking through the LARC, there's about 8 of the things. There's even a Moristo 44 (which I'll bet is pips out 1.5mm sponge, for the 44mm ball).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 03:46 
Super User

Casperin wrote:
I just got back from playing with it for 2-3 hours.

I used a black 2.0mm sheet on my backhand. Blade was Butterfly Petr Korbel. My FH is easily my most dominant, and my footwork is good enough that I will regularly round the corner to do a FH loop from my BH side.

I usually play with a Butterfly Innerforce ZLC with a 2.2mm MoristoSp in the backhand.

Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/ZXHuDLR

The slower blade and thinner sponge made a huge difference for me. The Ax felt slower than the original, though I'm fairly certain that isn't actually the case.

Ax seemed much harder than the original Moristo too; yet more grippy. Opening up pushes from the opponent with the backhand was easier (also helped a lot by the slower blade of course). In the doubles I played I had no problems opening up serves straight away. Lots of fun.

To me it felt like Ax is half way towards an inverted rubber, but it has all the good things about SP that I like: Accuracy and speed and a lot of insensitivity towards incoming spin, and of course you can hit as flat as with any other SP.

As nathanso already said, it does react more to incoming spin than other SPs. I had problems with one guy's serves, but I beat him regardless and I usually don't.

Since the rubber is harder, you have to work with it more. It was much easier to vary the speed for me, and for what it's worth, when caught away from the table, I managed to get most of my chops to hit the table as well. Lot's of control.

Towards the end I started getting comfortable enough with the rubber to hit really fast and snappy shots with the backhand; maintaining the pressure until I got a ball I could kill with my FH. Felt amazing.

Overall a success. I need to work with it more, but I think I'll stick with this one. :)

Dont understand how come ax cant have insensivity to spin but reacts more to serves?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2020, 04:10 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
German review of Moristo SP AX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ68IgC8Ju4

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 18:16 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
cmugica wrote:
I was thinking to buy 1.5mm moristo ax in order to have deception in blocks and flat hits and fast speed.
I dont mind if it bottoms in flat hits. It will be used on backhand

Bottoming out with the mid 1.4mm sponge will be a definite issue if my experiences of the standard SP relate to AX.

Using an as new donated sheet of SP mid red on my BH I have found out that the sponge is so soft that the blade comes into play even at low impact speed, which produces all sorts of erratic shots some really good some bad. So I would think 1.8mm is a realistic min unless maybe on a balsa blade designed for thin sponge.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2023, 03:58 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
Any comparisons between SP Ax and Victas Vo<102 ? I know they are pretty similar but which one is the spinniest ? Which one is harder ? Sponge of Vo102 37.5deg and SP Ax 40deg but the topsheet can change everything.

BH - Slick antispin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next