OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2019, 00:03 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I'm looking for a spinny short pip rubber that could replace Waran on my BH. Waran has conical, horizontally aligned pips so I guess I'm looking for a similar composition. Waran's sponge is a very soft tensor. I'm happy with Waran but it isn't easy to buy in the US, so looking for a replacement that would possess similar characteristics and be easier to get.

So far, I've tried the following 729 pips: 802 (tack-speed), 802-40 (super soft), and Legend 105. All of them feel far too hard compared to Waran, getting my arm tired.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 12:55 
Super User

So far I haven't come across anything with a sponge as soft as the Waran. The 105 comes close, but if that's too hard, you are out of luck :lol: .

I haven't tried yet, but look into the Tuttle Summer 3c. Supposedly a hard topsheet+soft sponge combo in the same vein as Waran.

Cheers,

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2019, 16:02 

I know for a fact that Donic Baxter F1A is softer and Tibhar Speedy Soft D.Tecs is about as soft while both being more controllable than Waran . If you like Waran just buy it online from tabletennis11. You get free shipping if you order more that 80 euros worth of stuff. I doubt you will need to replace short pips that often anyways.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 11:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I'm testing a few short pips right now. Of them, Victas VO > 102 is the softest of these, and for that matter, probably softer than any SP I've tested which now number about 12-15. Horizontal pip orientation, super-fast, easy to use, and a nice click when hit hard.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 22:46 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
In my quest to see how well I can play transitioning from inverted to short pips on my forehand, I've ordered a few rubbers to try. I've only played with Waran so far, but I did just get a sheet of the Dr. Neubauer Pistol 2. It feels like the sponge on that is pretty soft, at least comparable to Waran, if not softer. But again, this is coming from someone who's new to short pips on the forehand.

The other two rubbers I ordered to eventually try out are Waran II (definitely a harder sponge) and TSP Spinpips Red (also feels harder than Waran).

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 23:29 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Was able to play a couple of times with Pistol 2 over the weekend. Sponge is really soft, like the Styrofoam type that some of the antis have under them I think. The rubber is not for me at all, it was too "mushy" and no grip. Very little ability to generate spin either. If you are looking for a short pip with a very soft rubber that is good for blocking, you might want to give Dr Neubauer Pistol 2 a try. It just doesn't suit the style I'm trying to play.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 23:35 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Was able to play a couple of times with Pistol 2 over the weekend. Sponge is really soft, like the Styrofoam type that some of the antis have under them I think. The rubber is not for me at all, it was too "mushy" and no grip. Very little ability to generate spin either. If you are looking for a short pip with a very soft rubber that is good for blocking, you might want to give Dr Neubauer Pistol 2 a try. It just doesn't suit the style I'm trying to play.

Thanks for the update on the Pistol!
I think the softness isn't the only characteristic that's important for me - spin would be at least as important, so I guess Pistol 2 isn't for me either.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019, 23:38 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
I'm testing a few short pips right now. Of them, Victas VO > 102 is the softest of these, and for that matter, probably softer than any SP I've tested which now number about 12-15. Horizontal pip orientation, super-fast, easy to use, and a nice click when hit hard.

Thanks for the suggestion! The price, however...

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 04:02 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Hass is supposed to be similar to Waran in speed and sponge softness.

Firestorm is another option if you want lots of spin as well as speed

Videos of both on GeblockTT

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 04:55 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I was just watching some of those videos. Think I might get a sheet of Firestorm next time I place an order. If you want spin, definitely don't go with the Pistol 2.

Next up is I'm going to test Waran vs Waran 2. I'm not sure if the harder sponge will work better, or if the soft suits my game more. I've been using grippy inverted with very hard sponges for years now, so maybe the harder sponge of Waran 2 will help me even more. Also got a sheet of TSP Spinpips Red to try at some point too.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 05:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hass is nothing like any other SP I've tried except maybe the original 651. Hass' pips are tiny by SP standards, almost LP-like (but shorter). In initial testing it was not to my liking and didn't trouble my practice partner at all, somewhat to my surprise. it's much-vaunted speed is somewhat lower than other SPs I've bought recently such as Victas VO > 102, JOOLA Express Ultra, and Andro Hexer Pips+. Hass is quite soft, however, on both topsheet and sponge.

I bought a sheet of Waran 2.0mm last year and didn't find it to be soft or spinny. The closest match to the plasticky Waran I had might be DMS Firestorm which is similarly hard. I suspect both require more stoke power than I tend to use.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 06:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

How did you like the Victas V>102? That's another one I've been looking at trying.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 08:02 
Super User

ChasFox wrote:
Hass is supposed to be similar to Waran in speed and sponge softness.

Firestorm is another option if you want lots of spin as well as speed

Videos of both on GeblockTT

Firestorm looks promising based on the reviews, thanks!

Hass is reported to be not so spinny, have you tried it?

dwruck wrote:
I was just watching some of those videos. Think I might get a sheet of Firestorm next time I place an order. If you want spin, definitely don't go with the Pistol 2.

Next up is I'm going to test Waran vs Waran 2. I'm not sure if the harder sponge will work better, or if the soft suits my game more. I've been using grippy inverted with very hard sponges for years now, so maybe the harder sponge of Waran 2 will help me even more. Also got a sheet of TSP Spinpips Red to try at some point too.

I've tried Waran 2, and I couldn't play with it. The sponge is much-much harder than the normal version which makes the possibility of errors much greater. I found it very hard to target that margin between going into the net and going off the table with Waran 2.
But I'm only using SP on the BH; perhaps, SP FH has different demands.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 09:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dwruck wrote:
How did you like the Victas V>102? That's another one I've been looking at trying.

I really like the Victas VO > 102.. super fast, spinny, consistent, and nice sound. In max sponge its sensitivity to incoming spin is a bit more than I'd like so I'm considering trying it in 1.8mm. I'm hoping to find time to write a dedicated review of this SP and a couple of others I've been testing in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 17:44 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
ziv wrote:

I've tried Waran 2, and I couldn't play with it. The sponge is much-much harder than the normal version which makes the possibility of errors much greater. I found it very hard to target that margin between going into the net and going off the table with Waran 2.
But I'm only using SP on the BH; perhaps, SP FH has different demands.[/quote]

Hi Ziv
The latest batch of fast short pips are definitely aimed at the FH mainly for those that use LP or anti in the BH. something slower and more controlled is better on the BH you just have to decide on balance of spin versus disruptive effect. Even Waran is quite tricky on BH to get the angle right.