OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2022, 16:31 
Super User

ziv wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Unless this sponge is unusually soft, it's usually quite difficult to bottom out sponge with BH stokes. Is it possible that it's just really corky, i.e. a loud rubber?! Very soft sponges are often loud like this, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're bottoming out. As far as brushing with SP, you shouldn't need to do that unless you're deliberately trying to introduce spin variations. SP's strong suit is flat-hit balls that arrive on a beeline without any topspin to help your opponent lift their return over the net. Watch some Mima Ito videos on Youtube to get an idea of this. Of course, these are also the most difficult strokes to deliver, so less elite players like us tend to strike a balance between safety/success and the beeline drive. For me, the most rewarding SP drive is one that's so fast and spinless that my opponent hits it onto their side of the table first, as if they were serving. :devil:

The sponge is indeed very-very soft, softer than the Waran's, the softest I've ever seen (although I am no fan of soft rubbers).

I understand what you're talking about, and my BH strokes naturally aren't brushing. But when I hit the ball with the FS, the feeling is like there's no rubber at all, like a bare blade. I haven't had this feeling with any other rubber. With the Waran, you may feel something similar when blocking a really hard topspin shot, but with the FS it's almost every shot.

Is too soft that you could tear the sponge?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2022, 19:33 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Just bought a sheet of Waran 1.8 red to try on the FH on a fastish balsa carbon blade.

Feels really hard and slow and nothing like Waran used to play like. Sponge seems harder and unboosted and top sheet more plasticy, in fact more like 802-40 than a tensor short pips. Spinlords quality control seems really poor and as many forum posts report boosted sponges go off after only a couple of months.

Apparently Spinlord are releasing a revised faster Waran soon which hopefully will have a decent sponge maybe more like the original yellow one.

May try Barna legend fire as it is getting good reviews, Firestorm soft being just a bit too soft and thus inconsistent!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2023, 23:16 
Super User

nathanso wrote:
Hass is nothing like any other SP I've tried except maybe the original 651. Hass' pips are tiny by SP standards, almost LP-like (but shorter). In initial testing it was not to my liking and didn't trouble my practice partner at all, somewhat to my surprise. it's much-vaunted speed is somewhat lower than other SPs I've bought recently such as Victas VO > 102, JOOLA Express Ultra, and Andro Hexer Pips+. Hass is quite soft, however, on both topsheet and sponge.

I bought a sheet of Waran 2.0mm last year and didn't find it to be soft or spinny. The closest match to the plasticky Waran I had might be DMS Firestorm which is similarly hard. I suspect both require more stoke power than I tend to use.

Which one has flatter curve waran or FS?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2023, 14:20 
Super User

igorponger wrote:
THIS IS AN ATHLETIC GAME, ANYWAY. OVERALL STAMINA IS NEEDED FIRST..

Uranus Poly + strong legs makes you a devilish bombard. Lazy ones should avoid using SP.

Igor is a virus

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2023, 14:59 
Super User

ziv wrote:
It seems DMS have just released the soft version of the Firestorm. Quote:
Due to the longer ball dwell time of this new combination, we managed to increase the spin properties to the upper limit. Due to the slightly decreased speed, the control values too are increased. The high disruptional effect when hitting and blocking is unchanged and the blocks continue to create a low trajectory sinking effect.

I wonder if it's closer to the Waran than the original version.

Do you know if the normal and green version are too hard of firestorm what about the disturbing properties of harder firestorm versions?