OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019, 17:52 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Unfortunately the Geblock TT video is probably not a good indication of how Explosion will play as a BH rubber as they had OX LP on the other side hence the hard sound due to lack of dampening when they were doing their bouncing ball test.

Would like to know from any one who has played Explosion if it is ok for occasional chopping and chop blocking as this was to me the main weakness of Keiler.

What I have realised with the new balls even at local club level is that speed and sink wins points and it is better on balance to risk the odd wild shot in return for being able to exert pressure from the BH side and hit unreturnable shots as opposed to just keeping ball in play. Tried the control game the other night with a slower set up and lost to players I have been regularly beating as they had just more time on their shots and I could not hit clear winners due to lack of speed.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2019, 18:17 
Super User

Finally taken the plunge and attached a sheet of explosion black 1.5mm to my B&W blade.

Pleasantly surprised at the weight 47gm uncut and about 32gm cut. Quite a hard feel but no doubt may soften a bit after at few hours play.

Hope to try out on Monday evening. Looking for speed and control but more sink than I have been getting with Breakout and 388C1 both of which are a bit harmless with the latest balls.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 22:26 
Super User

After a few months trying this out on both my hard low throw Bloodhound blade and softer Black & White blade I am pretty disappointed with this rubber for backhand use.
Very little disruption but no real grip to put spin on ball either.
OK for blocking but again no noticeable disruption.
Quite fast when hitting but not easy to control - easily goes long on B&W blade
Very low throw made it difficult to use on Bloodhound.
Dense sponge gives very little feel for the ball so as a result when combined with other factors above very one dimensional.

Probably better as an aggressive rubber for FH play where flat hitting through spin is required. Overall a bit confused about what Dr Neubaer was trying to achieve

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 12:41 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
ChasFox wrote:
After a few months trying this out on both my hard low throw Bloodhound blade and softer Black & White blade I am pretty disappointed with this rubber for backhand use.
Very little disruption but no real grip to put spin on ball either.
OK for blocking but again no noticeable disruption.
Quite fast when hitting but not easy to control - easily goes long on B&W blade
Very low throw made it difficult to use on Bloodhound.
Dense sponge gives very little feel for the ball so as a result when combined with other factors above very one dimensional.

Probably better as an aggressive rubber for FH play where flat hitting through spin is required. Overall a bit confused about what Dr Neubaer was trying to achieve

Your estimation is right on target, not sure who this is marketed towards (I tried it on my backhand also). There are so many rubbers out there that do things better than this one. Even with it's shortcomings, I'd prefer SpinLord Keiler over this anyday. Best I can tell this is marketed to the same market as Dr N Killer, Pro, and Pistol 2 (which I tried and didn't stay with any of these either), I like the premise, they just don't bring enough to the table for my game. The closest would still be Killer or Killer Pro for me. Each has its own strengths, but not the whole package causing gaps in my game I wasn't comfortable with.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 23:02 
Super User

Practiced this morning with Explosion 1.5mm on my Black & White blade and a very old sheet of Keiler 1.2mm on my Bloodhound blade.

The Keiler was surprisingly better for varied play with more disruption but also more spin when needed.

I believe from other forums the new Dr Neubaer Killer Pro Evo with its softer lighter tension sponge is more like the original yellow sponge Keiler.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 03:35 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
ChasFox wrote:
Practiced this morning with Explosion 1.5mm on my Black & White blade and a very old sheet of Keiler 1.2mm on my Bloodhound blade.

The Keiler was surprisingly better for varied play with more disruption but also more spin when needed.

I believe from other forums the new Dr Neubaer Killer Pro Evo with its softer lighter tension sponge is more like the original yellow sponge Keiler.

Thanks for the tip on Killer Pro Evo, it does seem to work well as an alternative for the yellow sponge Keiler. Not a replacement exactly, but close enough. I've only had a couple of weeks using it so far, but it seems to suit my game. I finally got around to trying it while TT11 had it on sale, and haven't been disappointed. Best of all, I can tell people it is a short pip, since that is how Dr N markets it. :devil: I have it in the 1.5 thickness and red, which looks darker with the blue sponge underneath.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 06:45 
Super User

Look forward to more feedback on Evo as a Keiler alternative. Does it have plenty of gears i.e can you play passive/defensive easily with it when needed. Does the soft sponge give better feel than explosion and more spin capability?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021, 03:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
ChasFox wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much Explosion slows down as the factory boosting wears off.

interesting you mention that-my 1.8 seems slow-got it second hand though