OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: DMS Firestorm Soft
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 20:46 

How does Firestorm Soft compared to Degu?

Hurricane 3 Neo

Still looking for some short pips with the softest sponge available, preferably something with a LOUD speed-glue-effect sound

Whack and Loop for eternity

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 23:12 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
comodoensis wrote:
Much faster, much softer sponge, pips are different, a little more grippy on Firestorm but not as conical and no ribbed top.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2022, 00:45 

Def-attack wrote:
comodoensis wrote:
Much faster, much softer sponge, pips are different, a little more grippy on Firestorm but not as conical and no ribbed top.

Thanks for your kind enlightenment :)

Currently I'm using Waran I 1.8mm sponge, while I find it a deadly weapon on forehand (sometimes I flip it for some quick 3rd ball attack or easy counter for some surprise :lol: ) , it is harder to fully utilized it on the backhand side, I don't have any idea whether it's too hard, or a change to a thinner sponge is needed, or perhaps due to my backhand stroke mechanisms which favors a soft, borderline mushy sponge even way back when I used inverted at the backhand side (mostly 35 degree DHS scale boosted, or 40 degree ESN scale or even lower. The softer, the better :rofl: )

And the bad news is, it's hard to get DMS products from where I live ;(

In case I decided to pick Degu I (which my regular shop says is easier to order it along with their restock schedule), what sponge thickness is favored for backhand side?

Hurricane 3 Neo

Still looking for some short pips with the softest sponge available, preferably something with a LOUD speed-glue-effect sound

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2022, 01:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I must say that it is Degu 2 I was comparing with. Degu is faster with some catapult effect. I would start with 1.5 mm.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2022, 15:21 

Def-attack wrote:
I must say that it is Degu 2 I was comparing with. Degu is faster with some catapult effect. I would start with 1.5 mm.

I terribly sorry for not mentioning which Degu I meant before :angel:

Again, thank you for your insight :)

Hurricane 3 Neo

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2022, 23:23 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Waran is quite a difficult rubber to play with on the Bh as it requires full commitment to attack with few slow gears, rewarding and frustrating at the same time. The 1.8mm is lot more bouncy than 1.5mm which feels quite direct and hard and very spinny.

Degu is now a bit too mushy for the ABS ball and I would recommend instead the new Spinlord Nashorn in 1.5mm which I find has a lot more control than Waran and has a softer feel. See the Geblock TT video

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2022, 19:58 

ChasFox wrote:
Waran is quite a difficult rubber to play with on the Bh as it requires full commitment to attack with few slow gears, rewarding and frustrating at the same time. The 1.8mm is lot more bouncy than 1.5mm which feels quite direct and hard and very spinny.

Degu is now a bit too mushy for the ABS ball and I would recommend instead the new Spinlord Nashorn in 1.5mm which I find has a lot more control than Waran and has a softer feel. See the Geblock TT video

That is what I feel with Waran on backhand, lack of low gears, very uncomfortable to do some rolls and topspin variations during rallies, while it is nice for agressive flat hits/drives and active blocking, so demanding, can't feel relaxed :(

Learning you said it feels mushy actually makes me more interested with Degu, since I currently use Yinhe pro 12s, the backhand side is koto-outer ALC, and it feels too direct compared to the forehand side (limba-inner kevlar carbon), I find it very comfortable when using anything soft, perhaps mushy for my preferred feel :rofl:

Anyway, regarding the sponge, between Degu and Nashorn, which one is softer?

Again, thank you for your kind insight ;)

Hurricane 3 Neo

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2022, 22:32 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
I would stay away from Degu now as it does not seem to work well with the heavy ABS ball and very soft sponge is lowish quality.

Nashorn is a firmer and higher quality in the sponge but feels quite soft overall due to the rubber used in the top sheet - unless you want to aggressively counter hit with topspin I can recommend it.

https://spinlord-tt.de/products/nashorn/

in 1.5mm I would only put on softish blades as it will bottom out and hard counter hits will go in the net or long. 1.8mm is probably best for harder blades. same would apply to Firestorm soft I would think.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 21:42 

ChasFox wrote:
I would stay away from Degu now as it does not seem to work well with the heavy ABS ball and very soft sponge is lowish quality.

Nashorn is a firmer and higher quality in the sponge but feels quite soft overall due to the rubber used in the top sheet - unless you want to aggressively counter hit with topspin I can recommend it.

in 1.5mm I would only put on softish blades as it will bottom out and hard counter hits will go in the net or long. 1.8mm is probably best for harder blades. same would apply to Firestorm soft I would think.

I've given up using the Pro 12S, and go back to ITC challenge speed. Better match-up with Waran 1 on backhand side (I guess pips never goes wrong with any clipper-styled blade :rofl: ). Easy to vary between rolls and 'loop's during rallies, though a bit lack of grip especially against low spin/low power balls.

And of course, the softness of the sponge now can be clearly felt :lol:

I guess it' s time to save some pocket money to buy some spare ITC Challenge Speed, and try both Nashorn and Firestorm Soft :rock:

Hurricane 3 Neo

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2022, 03:24 
Super User

comodoensis wrote:
ChasFox wrote:

I've given up using the Pro 12S, and go back to ITC challenge speed. Better match-up with Waran 1 on backhand side (I guess pips never goes wrong with any clipper-styled blade :rofl: ). Easy to vary between rolls and 'loop's during rallies, though a bit lack of grip especially against low spin/low power balls.

And of course, the softness of the sponge now can be clearly felt :lol:

I guess it' s time to save some pocket money to buy some spare ITC Challenge Speed, and try both Nashorn and Firestorm Soft :rock:

How soft it is? Will break if I remove it from the blade?

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2023, 02:01 
Super User

comodoensis wrote:
ChasFox wrote:

That is what I feel with Waran on backhand, lack of low gears, very uncomfortable to do some rolls and topspin variations during rallies, while it is nice for agressive flat hits/drives and active blocking, so demanding, can't feel relaxed :(

Learning you said it feels mushy actually makes me more interested with Degu, since I currently use Yinhe pro 12s, the backhand side is koto-outer ALC, and it feels too direct compared to the forehand side (limba-inner kevlar carbon), I find it very comfortable when using anything soft, perhaps mushy for my preferred feel :rofl:

Anyway, regarding the sponge, between Degu and Nashorn, which one is softer?

Again, thank you for your kind insight ;)[/quote

Hi. How fast is pro12s? Feeling stiffness?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2023, 16:24 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
Today I had a first brief hit with 2,1 mm Firestorm soft on my spare Stiga Carbonado 90 blade using ABS-balls. I had my main set up also to the table and switched back and forth. It is very light in weight and the sponge is very soft.

Firestorm is s really fun rubber to use, very easy and intuative, just play like an inverted and hit the hard whenever you feel like it. When you hit the ball hard there is a loud smacking sound :). And the ball goes fast and straight.

You can serve, push and also loop like with an inverted but of course with lesser spin. But still enough spin to trick the opponent with spinny serves. You can brushloop against back spin but perhaps not with the same power as with inverted. And at some point the ball will skid off the pips and fall to the floor. But for being a SP it can do a lot in this area.

I only used it for some 30 minutes with my son as opponent so that is about all I can say for now. I will try it more later, but after the weekend. I am looking forward to it but I have no plans for a permanent change already. But perhaps a few sessions with SP on FH will help me get more confident using FH smashes and FH flicks with my ordinary rubber?

What Firestorm rubber is more disturbing ,soft or the normal version?