OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spinlord Nashorn
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2021, 07:25 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Review of Nashorn: https://youtu.be/XqIaHneU74A

Post subject: Re: Spinlord Nashorn
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 03:48 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
https://youtu.be/YDPxFoJZq-g (English subtitles). A former pro-level defender advices this rubber in 1.5mm thickness for BH chopping game (ala Hou Yingchao). It creates good underspin on the table and especially away from the table.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 18:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
How is the Nashorn compared to Spectol in terms of grip and speed?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 07:01 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Def-attack wrote:

Shchetinin played with Hou in the same team some time ago and he had thought Hou used Spectol rubber with factory sponge at that time (but exact model and thickness is unknown) as he had never seen custom sponge cooking by Hou.

I can retranslate the opinion of the master Zonenko. Spectol pips on any original sponge are unplayable in defence at high level. Many good players tried nobody except Hou himself succeeded. If one of the former strongest Russian defender cannot control Spectol, it says as final verdict for me.

Zonenko played with Spinpips Chop 2 as his last solution of plastic ball problem. He thinks Nashorn is better especially with custom slower sponge. Better in control, in table play, in chop underspin and spin manipulation.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 22:16 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Here is my first filmed sets with 1.5 Nashorn on BH on DHS Classic 08X blade (allround with carbon):

https://youtu.be/_gUGv3jhd34

This was my 2nd session with this short pimple rubber. I used Spectol 1.8 mm the sessions before this (I normally uses frictionless anti on BH).

The first opponent uses H3 on FH and some Donic on BH. The 2nd opponent uses short pip on both sides, Spectol 1.8 mm on FH and 1.5 mm on BH, on a Stiga Clipper. He is like a wall that sometimes hits back...

Nashorn is an easy to use short pip for drives and some blocks. It has soft ribbed pips on a soft sponge. It reminds of DMS Flashback but with shorter pips and a little more grip.

It is easy to flip with this rubber and attack back spin. Pushes can be effective if kept low (not easy), the travel fast and with little spin, so opponent have difficulties making enough arc on attack to land the ball on the table. Opponents often misread spin from pushes with.this rubber, and it that way it feels more like a medium pip and a short pip.

You can defend from distance with this but Spectol is better for that, that has better spin potential and is more linear in its behaviour. For generating much spin on chops with Nashorn one need to open the bat a lot to chop with the side of the pips and with a forward motion. If you chop more downward you have more control but it is more difficult to generate spin and vary spin.

Attacking and blocking is rather good with clear sink effect if you have an opend bat and with some arc if you close the bat a little. When blocking strong loops you need to follow the ball after the bounce, and brush it forward. This can remove spin and speed very effective causing all sorts of troubles for your opponent. But, on against a little higher ball, you can just slap the ball back with a slightly closed bat angle.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 05:55 
Super User

Omut wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Shchetinin played with Hou in the same team some time ago and he had thought Hou used Spectol rubber with factory sponge at that time (but exact model and thickness is unknown) as he had never seen custom sponge cooking by Hou.

I can retranslate the opinion of the master Zonenko. Spectol pips on any original sponge are unplayable in defence at high level. Many good players tried nobody except Hou himself succeeded. If one of the former strongest Russian defender cannot control Spectol, it says as final verdict for me.

Zonenko played with Spinpips Chop 2 as his last solution of plastic ball problem. He thinks Nashorn is better especially with custom slower sponge. Better in control, in table play, in chop underspin and spin manipulation.

Find hard to believe that hou cant have access to special spectol ,tan ruiwu had special sheets for him.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 22:27 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Just had two sessions now with Spinlord Nashorn 1.5mm black on the BH of my S&T black & White blade.

It is exactly as Spinlord describe a very easy to play, control orientated short pip. Fairly insensitive to spin but you can also impart spin in flips and chops. Also as they say it is easy to take pace off a ball but at the same time can be used to attack when needed with the ball having a low flight which suits the BH. best surprise to me is how easy it is to chop low and controlled at least in 1.5mm as this is often a weak point on SP & MP

ON the S&T perhaps the feeling is a little soft so the next stage is try it on faster harder blade perhaps my Sanwei feather carbon.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 12:40 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
Here is my first filmed sets with 1.5 Nashorn on BH on DHS Classic 08X blade (allround with carbon):

This was my 2nd session with this short pimple rubber. I used Spectol 1.8 mm the sessions before this (I normally uses frictionless anti on BH).

The first opponent uses H3 on FH and some Donic on BH. The 2nd opponent uses short pip on both sides, Spectol 1.8 mm on FH and 1.5 mm on BH, on a Stiga Clipper. He is like a wall that sometimes hits back...

Nashorn is an easy to use short pip for drives and some blocks. It has soft ribbed pips on a soft sponge. It reminds of DMS Flashback but with shorter pips and a little more grip.

It is easy to flip with this rubber and attack back spin. Pushes can be effective if kept low (not easy), the travel fast and with little spin, so opponent have difficulties making enough arc on attack to land the ball on the table. Opponents often misread spin from pushes with.this rubber, and it that way it feels more like a medium pip and a short pip.

You can defend from distance with this but Spectol is better for that, that has better spin potential and is more linear in its behaviour. For generating much spin on chops with Nashorn one need to open the bat a lot to chop with the side of the pips and with a forward motion. If you chop more downward you have more control but it is more difficult to generate spin and vary spin.

Attacking and blocking is rather good with clear sink effect if you have an opend bat and with some arc if you close the bat a little. When blocking strong loops you need to follow the ball after the bounce, and brush it forward. This can remove spin and speed very effective causing all sorts of troubles for your opponent. But, on against a little higher ball, you can just slap the ball back with a slightly closed bat angle.

How does it compares to waran in terms of sink and control?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 17:30 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

bbkon wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Sorry, never tried Waran.

But compared to Zargus (rather close to Waran some says, but slower, more controlled) it has less grip on blocks, pips are taller and softer, sponge is faster. Nashorn has some grip on the too of the pips, it is very good for
attacking backspin, especially over the table. But pushing back backspin is not good, not much control there. Blocking is nice but Zargus can more easy block topspins with a normal inverted kind of block (more passive), while Nashorn requires a more active block (ball goes more flat).

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2022, 00:05 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
bbkon wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

So zargus is better to block?

But compared to Zargus (rather close to Waran some says, but slower, more controlled) it has less grip on blocks, pips are taller and softer, sponge is faster. Nashorn has some grip on the too of the pips, it is very good for
attacking backspin, especially over the table. But pushing back backspin is not good, not much control there. Blocking is nice but Zargus can more easy block topspins with a normal inverted kind of block (more passive), while Nashorn requires a more active block (ball goes more flat).

So zargus is easier to control blocking topspin?
I need to know how is the zargus blocking loops if arc is low and sent balls to the net

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2022, 00:33 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

bbkon wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
bbkon wrote:
[quote="Def-attack"]Here is my first filmed sets with 1.5 Nashorn on BH on DHS Classic 08X blade (allround with carbon):

So zargus is better to block?

So zargus is easier to control blocking topspin?
I need to know how is the zargus blocking loops if arc is low and sent balls to the net[/quote]I think Zargus is more easy in this aspect. But a softer blade can also make a big difference.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2022, 02:33 
Super User

Nashorn at least in 1.5mm is very blade sensitive due to the soft sponge and top sheet. Too soft and slow a blade it just feels mushy but too hard the blade outer veneers and the bottoming out effect is too severe a transition, indicating thicker sponge version needed.. My original Black & White blade had gone a bit soft and slow due maybe to too much water based glue over time, on another newer one it plays just about right.

Currently playing 1.5mm black but keen to try same thickness in red to see if the pips feel a bit harder as black is a bit too soft for aggressive hitting and red may give a bit more speed and disruptive effect.

What is fairly unique about Nashorn is that it can play like a slowish disruptive MP or a fairly spinny short pip depending on technique allowing useful ability to vary ones shots to situation and opponent. It is particularly good against back spin and makes attacking a long pip player quite easy as it does not give them too much spin to reverse. Nashorn is probably not suitable for high level play as the sponge and top sheet are too soft for aggressive counter hitting, but for a variable game at mid club level worth a try. Check out the you tube reviews.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2023, 19:08 
Super User

Recently tried Nashorn red in 1.5mm but very disappointed. just felt like a classic Chinese pip. i,e. much harder and less spin and touch than the black version. Just good for hitting and not much else. just running fingers over the pips showed a big difference in pip softness.

Might try 1.8mm black to see if it is able to absorb hard shots better than the 1.5mm without the bottoming out effect