OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2023, 00:59 

i have trouble reading the spin of the ball coming from backhand long pips, any recommendations of a short pips, its thickness, that is Not sensetive of spin where i can just smash or punch the coming any spin from long pips of my opponent.

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2023, 08:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
iznubadd wrote:
i have trouble reading the spin of the ball coming from backhand long pips, any recommendations of a short pips, its thickness, that is Not sensetive of spin where i can just smash or punch the coming any spin from long pips of my opponent.

Two excellent options : DMS Breakout and Spinfire

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2023, 21:12 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
I find Spinlord Nashorn 1.5mm is very effective against long pips, it is quite soft and not a hit or smash rubber but very easy to lift backspin and does not give the long pip player much spin. The advantage over just trying to hit though the spin is its ability to easily deal with very low pushes, blocks and chops.

The other very effective way of playing against long pips is to attack them with one of the new fast and direct long pips like Dr Neubaer Punch. They literally Punch the ball low and hard without spin but the downside is their poor ability to scrub off speed against fast attacks unless you have a lot of skill with fast LPs and or a slow blade

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 05:28 

I had to switch to short pips on both sides because my loop the loop days are over with. It was the best decision that I have made. I did struggle with which short pips to use, and tried many. I finally settled on Moristo SP 1.8 on both sides, on an Amultart. What i did discover was that hard, stiffer blades work best with softer sponge short pips, and slower, less stiff blades require a slightly harder sponge base to be most effective. Unless you are fighting against a long pips return from a heavy loop, most long pips bump shots can easily be backhand punched back with short pips, using the correct stroke. I spent quite a bit of time being coached on how to do that while in Taiwan recently.If i am playing against a long pips player, I serve either long fast dead serves into it, or very short, and low dead balls to it, both of which are quite easy to do with short pips. The return will usually be returned slow and dead, which is very easy to punch hit, fast and dead.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2023, 00:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

charmander defender wrote:
iznubadd wrote:

The advantage of using Spinfire versus other SPs is that when you push at the table, the ball goes over the net with a lot of rotation and deep into their belly or into the far corner of their backhand.It is easy to be consistent and also you can lift backspin for variation easily .Besides,you can chop the ball from mid distance with good backspin too,however, the technique is very different from chopping with long pips .

I suggest 1.5 sponge for playing at the table,mainly pushing( and driving for variation ) and mid distance chopping.For attacking aggressively, 1.8 and better still, 2.1.A stiff blade works very well with Spinfire .

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2023, 04:30 

I have tried Spinfire, and it definitely creates more spin than Moristo SP. It was easier to attack underspin, and its pushes had more rotation. The problem that I experienced with it was when it came time to block or counterdrive fast or heavy spin loops. I found it to be too sensitive to high quality topspin. It was much easier to generate topspin drives against low quality topspin or light spin drive with Spinfire, which is nice when playing someone who can't generate high quality topspin., I also noticed that the Moristo seemed to create a more disruptive block or counterdrive against high quality topspin, and it was easier to return high quality serves to my backhand, by using deep, fast pushes. Of course, it could be my blade was too fast to best utilize the benefits of Spinfire. Spinfire seems like a good short pips rubber to use if you are transitioning from inverted.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2023, 20:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

funkVfunk wrote:
I have tried Spinfire, and it definitely creates more spin than Moristo SP. It was easier to attack underspin, and its pushes had more rotation. The problem that I experienced with it was when it came time to block or counterdrive fast or heavy spin loops. I found it to be too sensitive to high quality topspin. It was much easier to generate topspin drives against low quality topspin or light spin drive with Spinfire, which is nice when playing someone who can't generate high quality topspin., I also noticed that the Moristo seemed to create a more disruptive block or counterdrive against high quality topspin, and it was easier to return high quality serves to my backhand, by using deep, fast pushes. Of course, it could be my blade was too fast to best utilize the benefits of Spinfire. Spinfire seems like a good short pips rubber to use if you are transitioning from inverted.

I don't think there exists the perfect Sp and likewise ,Lp,Mp etc.....for what Spinfire can offer,it is a very versatile Sp which is consistent with good results... Yes,you are very right; for high quality topspin it is very sensitive,for which you need to have resources like you need to have for every rubber you use .

You can twiddle or improve your technique for high quality topspins.

If you do not seek resources, chances are you will be changing the rubbers sooner than expected

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2023, 00:58 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
Right guys, perfect rubber doesn't exist, always like enginieering is a compromise....

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2023, 15:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I use Spinlord Keiller 1.2 mm for this. Enough grip to do pushes (low and fast but almost no spin) and do banana-flicks. And you kan hit though almost any spin and even do something similar to a BH loop from distans. Very allround rubber with some nasty pimple effect. And it is rather easy to use.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2023, 20:30 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
I don't like Spinlord quality.