OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Victas Spinpips D3
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 03:46 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I have been trying out this rubber, that used be called TSP Superspinpips Chop Sponge 2, for two sessions now. I tried it in 1.5 mm. I have an old sheet of the original TSP verision in 1.1 mm to compare with.

This rubber is slow, controlled and rather grippy. You can do almost anything with it, push, hit, block, and of course chop.

I will write more later, but here is a clip from todays session. You can see I am having trouble adapting to the amount of grip and slowness, but also it is difficult to decide what stroke to do when you have sooo much to choose from :)

Before this rubber I used Spinlord Degu 2 1.5 mm.

Last edited by Def-attack on 27 Dec 2021, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Victas Spinpips D3
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 07:09 

Thanks for the video! I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more because I am currently eying the Spinpips D3 for my backhand and there are very few first-hand accounts about the rubber out there! So, this is going to be immensely helpful for my decision when I'm going to make the switch.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 18:20 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

RGo wrote:
Thanks for the video! I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more because I am currently eying the Spinpips D3 for my backhand and there are very few first-hand accounts about the rubber out there! So, this is going to be immensely helpful for my decision when I'm going to make the switch.
Let me know your questions so I can answer the directly.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 18:28 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

About the sponge on this rubber, it is very soft and slow. I am not sure if they changed it but the old version in 1.1 seems more soft and like a Wettex than this new version. But it could be that it is old and I have glued it a few times, or that the thinner just looks and feels different because it is thinner.

Anyhow, the 1.1 version is rather different from 1.5. It bottoms out very easy and when I hit with the thin it behaves different. If one learns to master this it is a great weapon because when you but some force to it, it is like hitting with an ox rubber, the ball shoots out fast and very flat. But this makes it difficult to handle in blocks and chops. A fast attack is very difficult to chop, ball goes very long. The 1.5 version is a lot better here, but also, the sink effekt is not nearly as clear as with 1.1. In drives the speed is about the same, but the thicker is far more easy to use, it behaves almost like an inverted rubber.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 23:30 

Def-attack wrote:

I don't think I have any immediate questions but for context, I want to try out a couple of SP rubbers after this season to see if it's worth it for me to make the switch from inverted rubbers to SP on my backhand. I was looking at Spectol S1, Spinpips D3, and the Degus, because I mostly block and chop these days with my backhand and occasionally use soft, slow topspins to open up the game from the backhand.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 19:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Last night I moved the rubber to my Stiga Clipper Classic blade. I have to say it worked pretty well. The Clipper for me is like meating an old friend, everything just works and the memories ciomes back. This blade is faster and more rigid, but it is smaller in size, heavier and may have a smaller sweet spot. For now I can't tell wich blade is the better for me where I am now, but I did not feel any need to change back, so I will keep the Clipper for at least one more session.

About Spinpips: the backspin on first chop it the attack is not a powerattack - it is just huge. You can opend the bat very much, like with inverted, but the control is much higher compared to inverted. So you dare to put more force to the chop. Sometimes the chop is so short it almost bounces two times.

But in real match play you don't get to use the kind of chop very much. So you need to be in position, take the ball rather low and with wrist to get s heavy chop. But you can also do more like a sideways blocking motion, just keeping the ball low. This will also cause troubles since it is difficult to read the spin. And if you are caught in the middle you can always counter with a drive. This is rather easy to attack so good placement is needed. But, the element of surprice from that shot :) ...

Blocking feels better and better, but comming from frictionless anti I need to always ve active in blocks. A passive block will most of the time go long since the sponge is slow and soft, and the top sheet is grippy. But a little forward motions helps a lot. A sort of countering motion gives the ball a very fast and flat arc, very nice!

Returning spinny serves is hard! I am used to anti, so this is a challange for me. Slow, sidespin serves tend to bite extra hard. The flip is important here, or just slowly guide the ball back very short.

Pushing is one of the best aspects of this rubber. The first push against a serve gives speed and back spin back. It is difficult to attack if well placed. If pushed back again, the next push with spinpips is rather toothless, not much spin. This can be attacked easily. So it is better to attack if the opponent pushes back a push. This is something I really need to work with! Both from BH and FH.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2022, 23:20 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Today I started the training with this rubber on my Clipper wood and then after a few matches I switched back to the DHS 08X. This rubber makes all blades feel slow :). It worked ok to chop with it on the Clipper but the control is better on the DHS. The DHS has some carbon in, and I think that helps a little. Blocking is more easy. And it makes the rubber react a little less to spin I think.

About pushing with this rubber - if you opend the bat a lot you can generate a lot of back spin but sometimes you kind of over hit and there is no spin at all, the hit is so thin that the pips don't have time to give the ball any spin, but the trajectory can still be very low. This is cool and something I need ro investigate.

I still need to practice some basic shots and how to do them with SP, line BH flip, smash, drive and attack against back spin. But I am still having fun with this rubber :)

A few sets from todays session:

https://youtu.be/Kh49Cqecy8c

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 22:49 

Def-attack wrote:
Today I started the training with this rubber on my Clipper wood and then after a few matches I switched back to the DHS 08X. This rubber makes all blades feel slow :)

So, would you recommend the Spinpips on a slower or a faster blade? Because I was looking at slower blades, to begin with. Also, I liked the shot variety you were able to get in and it felt like you figured out midway through how to apply pressure and win points just by blocking.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 23:49 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

RGo wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
Today I started the training with this rubber on my Clipper wood and then after a few matches I switched back to the DHS 08X. This rubber makes all blades feel slow :)

So, would you recommend the Spinpips on a slower or a faster blade? Because I was looking at slower blades, to begin with. Also, I liked the shot variety you were able to get in and it felt like you figured out midway through how to apply pressure and win points just by blocking.
Difficult to say, the sponge is soft but with a thick hit straight to the ball it is not superslow as some anti's. But when chopping amd using the sides.of the pips it is very slow. So the speed of the blade will give effect when the sponge bottoms out, but I am not sure if it will have a big effect on the overall speed otherwise.

So, start with what feels good for your FH ad other parts of your game.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 23:59 

Hi all,

I have played with the SpinPips Chop 2 in all sponge sizes for years and can only say that it is a very good and controlled rubber if you use your wrist. Coming from long pimples it requires a completely different movement. I had previously played the Curl P1R and the two rubbers are poles apart. After the introduction of the plastic ball, I noticed that long pimples were the big losers in this change. So I switched and it took me over a year to change my defensive backhand movement but since then I've had a lot more options and variability in the game.
I hadn't played table tennis for over a year now due to Corona and injury and found that TSP had switched to Victas. I mostly played the SpinPips in 1.8, now it seems to be only available in 2.0. Have the rubbers changed or are they exactly the same just under a new brand?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022, 00:44 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Baradur wrote:
Hi all,

I have played with the SpinPips Chop 2 in all sponge sizes for years and can only say that it is a very good and controlled rubber if you use your wrist. Coming from long pimples it requires a completely different movement. I had previously played the Curl P1R and the two rubbers are poles apart. After the introduction of the plastic ball, I noticed that long pimples were the big losers in this change. So I switched and it took me over a year to change my defensive backhand movement but since then I've had a lot more options and variability in the game.
I hadn't played table tennis for over a year now due to Corona and injury and found that TSP had switched to Victas. I mostly played the SpinPips in 1.8, now it seems to be only available in 2.0. Have the rubbers changed or are they exactly the same just under a new brand?
From what I knpw and can see the top sheet is the same. I think the sponge is the same too, but perhaps the pores were a bit larger on the old sponge.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022, 01:23 

Def-attack wrote:
Baradur wrote:
Hi all,

From what I knpw and can see the top sheet is the same. I think the sponge is the same too, but perhaps the pores were a bit larger on the old sponge.

Does that make a big difference ?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022, 01:32 

@Def-Attack I watched your video above and I'm not entirely sure what game system you're actually playing. It looks like a little bit of everything... :lol: sorry

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 18:39 

Def-attack wrote:

I know it's quite a bit later but I now finally have enough experience playing with SPs that I can ask some decently informed questions (although, your memory probably ain't fresh anymore with this, as you seem to switch quite a bit).

So, I've been playing the Spectol S1 in 1.3 for a while now, and overall I've been quite happy, especially playing at the table. However, I'm trying to move my game a bit away from the table and I found chopping with the S1 challenging at times, especially against hard attacks into my body, as I don't get enough spin on these balls back. Whiile I know my movement needs to get better in these cases (working on it), the rubber feels unforgiving in those cases.

So, I was wondering if a SP rubber with a softer sponge, like the D3, is easier to chop with and if you can put more spin on it in the situations where you have to shorten your stroke a bit to return the ball. From my experience, I can put a lot of spin into my chops with the S1 but only when I can execute my full stroke but sometimes that's hard to get done.

Long story short: D3 chopping easier than S1 chopping?

Cheers!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 19:14 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Difficult to tell.... The top sheet of Spectol is far better for chopping, more forgiving since it has more of a long pimple feeling. But it is not that easy to change the spin with Spectol, in comparison to Spinpips. And the first push with Spinpips is really good. But you also need to be able to handle opponents spin a lot better with Spinpips. Spectol has much more pimple effect.