OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 11 Apr 2024, 06:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2023, 05:43 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Rubbers share very little in common. So it is more like review of both rather then comparison. My style is fast attack and I never care about amount of spin. I will not compare rubbers of how spiny they are. It is just not important for me.

I tested SpinLord Degu 2.0 and then Yinhe Uranus Pro Soft 2.15 on backhand of my DHS Hurricane 301Z blade (Koto top with innerforce-"Z-fiber"). The blade I currently play is not good for chopping so I will not comment both rubbers properties for defensive style. Degu is known to be very lightweight. Uranus Pro is only 2-3g heavier cut on the blade.

Degu was my first real BH SP rubber but I immediately felt its limitation. Degu is a beginner level rubber. There are too kinds of "control" in table tennis. Beginner's rubbers control is returning all balls on the table in similar dull way regardless of how good or bad, strong or weak you make your strokes. Degu is not simply slow but unresponsive and the stronger you hit the worse is control and flatter arc. Degu has weak sponge that is not working properly in anything harder then delicate strokes. Degu is mushy on a soft blade, Degu feels better on a harder blade but still not good. Every short pips technique stroke is possible and not very hard to perform with Degu: active or passive, but quality of them are unimpressive.

There is one problem with Degu that I do not know whom to blame. Rarely but regularly balls from topspin blocks just fall under the blade. It seems I intuitively have to close racket to counter incoming topspin more then the rubber grip can hold. I played LPs and MPs for years and never observed such phenomenon.

The sponge hardness of Uranus Pro Soft (UPS) is similar to Degu's one but it is very different in play. Uranus Pro Soft (UPS) is truly uncompromising offensive rubber. Very fast from the base with very heavy catapult effect that launches early. Pushing underspin is fast low long but with good control of height and placement. Attack opening is easy so it is not worth to play pushing rallies. Flicks, drives, punches, counterhits -- wristy, forearm or full body stroke all land balls on the endline even if shot is not made ideally. And the more incoming ball power and the more your own stroke power, the better placement control. The harder you hit, the less incoming spin affect. I did not succeed to reach soft sponge power limit in scored games. The sponge is very soft but with very deep reserves in power.

The cost of the UPS big gun is obvious. Passive play is hardly playable. I have to forget my chop block and even simple block is rather tricky. It is impossible to return short incoming fast serve. Trying to dump incoming ball energy results of negative affect of spin and tricky catapult. It is not impossible to play touch shots but it is not automatic skill and it does not pay out well.

I actually wanted to buy medium version of Uranus Pro as I feared the same weak performance of soft sponge. But occasionally have got the soft version from my local dealer. Usually I did not enjoy catapult effect and prefer harder more linear behavior. Next time I will probably try medium sponge hardness version in hope to keep UPS offensive advantages and gain some passive play opportunities.

You may think I do not control UPS fully and properly. Yes and no. Easy and effective attack opening and advantage in open rallies makes the game style more brave, direct and effective in overall. During the first training session I performed very well in real games against a wide range of strong and experienced against pips opponents.

I did not test UPS on FH. But will probably try some day as all-out offense is usually better fit for FH.

Addon: Uranus Pro Medium 2.15 is very similar to Soft. I cannot tell which is better for what.

Last edited by Omut on 22 Dec 2023, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2023, 11:24 
Super User

Pushing with Uranus Pro is excellent. Fast, low, controlled and loaded with underspin. No popups, no nets. But difficult to play short.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2023, 18:19 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
I agree on DEGU. I used to like it but the weak sponge and soft top sheet do not seem to work well with the heavy ABS ball. Needs to be relaunched with a new firmer sponge.

Omut you appear to be on quite an interesting journey with you choice of back hand rubbers as I believe you have migrated from LP to MP and now fast spinny SP. Please tell us more.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2023, 16:38 
Super User

Tried Uranus Pro Soft on the FH. I cannot play with it. Too low throw. Too direct. Degu on another blade was more playable on FH.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2023, 08:59 
Super User

My thoughts about spin of Uranus Pro.

1. When you push incoming underspin it returns strong underspin. The more income spin the more outcome. This is definitely property of a spiny rubber.
2. It is possible to play UPS from half-distance. It is possible and comfortable to play positive stroke on the ball after the peak of the bounce.
3. While the rubber is spiny itself it is difficult to play like with normal inverted rubber. Dwell time is too low to try to brush the ball.

Control of Uranus Pro Soft 2.15 on composite OFF blade.
1) I already said UPS is very intuitive and precise in BH fast counters. And it is very easy and effective to add more own power against powerful ball. Soft sponge performs wonderfully in power play. No signs of performance top limits of the sponge.
2) I have no problems against non extreme topspin and underspin. But I was affected by sidespin more then it was with less spiny Dr. Neubauer KO Pro 1.5. Probably it is the reason of my skill and past experience rather then rubber fault.
3) Sometimes soft sponge catapult the ball more then expected in small game. The ball normally does not pop up, but it sometimes jumps straight long instead of needed curve down. UPS is not terribly sensitive but some delicateness needed here.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2023, 00:47 
Super User

I have tried UPS on less demanding blade and can tell that it is just fine in passive game and can be rather dangerous weapon if you have enough skills. So UPS can be successfully used for allround style. I have not tried UPS on a pure defensive blade where it can be actually appropriate for chopping especially in thinner sponge version.

Uranus Pro Soft has bright sharp precise feel comparing to my memories of 802-40 and Degu/Waran/Wyvern.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2023, 03:27 
Super User

Omut wrote:
Rubbers share very little in common. So it is more like review of both rather then comparison. My style is fast attack and I never care about amount of spin. I will not compare rubbers of how spiny they are. It is just not important for me.

I tested SpinLord Degu 2.0 and then Yinhe Uranus Pro Soft 2.15 on backhand of my DHS Hurricane 301Z blade (Koto top with innerforce-"Z-fiber"). The blade I currently play is not good for chopping so I will not comment both rubbers properties for defensive style. Degu is known to be very lightweight. Uranus Pro is only 2-3g heavier cut on the blade.

Degu was my first real BH SP rubber but I immediately felt its limitation. Degu is a beginner level rubber. There are too kinds of "control" in table tennis. Beginner's rubbers control is returning all balls on the table in similar dull way regardless of how good or bad, strong or weak you make your strokes. Degu is not simply slow but unresponsive and the stronger you hit the worse is control and flatter arc. Degu has weak sponge that is not working properly in anything harder then delicate strokes. Degu is mushy on a soft blade, Degu feels better on a harder blade but still not good. Every short pips technique stroke is possible and not very hard to perform with Degu: active or passive, but quality of them are unimpressive.

There is one problem with Degu that I do not know whom to blame. Rarely but regularly balls from topspin blocks just fall under the blade. It seems I intuitively have to close racket to counter incoming topspin more then the rubber grip can hold. I played LPs and MPs for years and never observed such phenomenon.

The sponge hardness of Uranus Pro Soft (UPS) is similar to Degu's one but it is very different in play. Uranus Pro Soft (UPS) is truly uncompromising offensive rubber. Very fast from the base with very heavy catapult effect that launches early. Pushing underspin is fast low long but with good control of height and placement. Attack opening is easy so it is not worth to play pushing rallies. Flicks, drives, punches, counterhits -- wristy, forearm or full body stroke all land balls on the endline even if shot is not made ideally. And the more incoming ball power and the more your own stroke power, the better placement control. The harder you hit, the less incoming spin affect. I did not succeed to reach soft sponge power limit in scored games. The sponge is very soft but with very deep reserves in power.

The cost of the UPS big gun is obvious. Passive play is hardly playable. I have to forget my chop block and even simple block is rather tricky. It is impossible to return short incoming fast serve. Trying to dump incoming ball energy results of negative affect of spin and tricky catapult. It is not impossible to play touch shots but it is not automatic skill and it does not pay out well.

I actually wanted to buy medium version of Uranus Pro as I feared the same weak performance of soft sponge. But occasionally have got the soft version from my local dealer. Usually I did not enjoy catapult effect and prefer harder more linear behavior. Next time I will probably try medium sponge hardness version in hope to keep UPS offensive advantages and gain some passive play opportunities.

You may think I do not control UPS fully and properly. Yes and no. Easy and effective attack opening and advantage in open rallies makes the game style more brave, direct and effective in overall. During the first training session I performed very well in real games against a wide range of strong and experienced against pips opponents.

I did not test UPS on FH. But will probably try some day as all-out offense is usually better fit for FH.

Where do you buy uranus pro soft? I bought from ttnpp but they sent me medium both sheets despite i asked soft.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2023, 04:50 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
Where do you buy uranus pro soft? I bought from ttnpp but they sent me medium both sheets despite i asked soft.

Aliexpress.com I had never problems about table tennis products with them.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2023, 01:43 
Super User

Omut wrote:
bbkon wrote:

Do you have the link or fav seller?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2023, 18:20 
Super User

bbkon wrote:
Omut wrote:
bbkon wrote:

Do you have the link or fav seller?

1) I had problems with other kinds of goods (and table tennis accessories from non dedicated table tennis stores: usb cables, racket and ball cases), but never with blades, rubbers and balls from any table tennis shop.
2) Never bought twice in aliexpress in the same shop. I buy one or two times a year in bulk and sale offers from the same shop do not last so long.
3) I generally avoid trying rare table tennis equipment and exotic brands because possible repeated orders problems years later.
4) I select a hand of shops for the wanted item with lowest prices including shipment (usually shipment is free to my country even for single 5$ rubber, but sometimes the price is very low but shipment is ridiculous).
5) I pick the most hot shop among lowest price offers. Most number of orders, aliexpress rating, widest number of lots, better descriptions or pictures. Sometimes seller gives a bonus (protection film, sponge or side tape) -- it is useful and worse extra pennies most of time.