OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 16:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Wider stance
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 08:35 
Super User

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else has the same issue....

I've had trouble with my FH consistency....to the point where it's like having the "yips" in golf...

Could never figure it out....I'd drill...I'd watch vids....you name it. I'm older but well above average athletically....(which makes what I'm about to pass along mildly embarrassing)

After watching a video clip yesterday morning....I realized my stance was too narrow.
I've heard it a 10,000 times: "Keep your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart" and just assumed that I was already doing it...(being the natural athlete and all :?: )

So I went to the club last night...and consciously kept my feet at least shoulder width apart...which then automatically lowered my stance and......suddenly I was BALANCED!.

"BALANCED!" I could finally get the sensation of using my legs and torso instead of all arm.

Wow! That center of gravity thing actually DOES make a difference!!

Bottom line: My timing was exponentially better (meaning my FH was more consistent) and I was getting to balls faster.

I'll keep working on it....

Post subject: Re: Wider stance
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 08:47 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Been there, done that... :oops:
Started out a few years ago, reviving an old club. I'd been telling the kids about stance and balance, always trying to help them improve their game. Then, about a year ago, we had one of Norway's top coaches visiting our club, and he told me the exact same thing I'd been telling our other players.

I guess you don't see yourself as well as you see everyone else. For self development, a video may help a little. Mirrors in the playing area may help even more, if you have the time to look there while playing. When (like me) you don't have that, you just have to remind yourself of the basics, about twice as often as you need to advise others. My experience: it really helps.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 10:27 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
U really get a good first step on the ball with a lower, wider stance. Makes worlds of difference. Also, spin generation is much better with wide stance.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 09:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It works, its important but it's hard! :(

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 13:55 

After reading this post, I thought I would make a conscious effort to keep a wider base today at practice. It made a huge difference. My legs were a little more tired, but I did make more shots and generally play better. It felt like I was in the game more than usual with my head just that much closer to the table. I just had to remind myself between points not to get too upright or I started making more mistakes and getting out of position.

Good idea for a thread - it gave me a boost!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 09:47 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Doing a wider stance and lowering your head, you can read the ball better and reach for a shot better. :up: