OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 09:03 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
Great summary of the drills Iceman!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 18:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Thanks Ice. And AA!

I will surley try all these drills. But I do not really understand this stroke:

"i push aggressively with anti (or pips) in a kind of forward upward motion"

"-i serve this time, underspin, the opp push back with underspin on my bh and then i attack it in 3 ways i prefer...by flick/punch motion, by that upward forward push or by pushing horizontally with half open blade."

The other two strokes for attacking back spin are familiar. AA, is there somewere in your videos where this stroke can be seen?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 18:33 
Super User

FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
tnx conrad and deff...

@deff which stroke you dont get? 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
@conrad can you remember some other drill i missed or have any comments or observations of the drills of you own?

and yeah, i forgot to add something very important AA was very insistant about...every stroke that you are doing with anti, you must try to "lead" the ball in a way that it stays on the anti for the longest time posible...when you push with anti, imagine the stoke is not short and abrupt but long, like you are carrying the ball over the net...it gives you max control with max spin reversal and disturbance for the opponent...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 19:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the pictures and summary! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 02:30 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox
Thanks again AA for a great course.

Thanks Iceman for summarizing the drills and doing the forum proud by winning your final in the end of coaching competition.

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 03:27 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

111Iceman111 wrote:
tnx conrad and deff...

@deff which stroke you dont get? 1st, 2nd or 3rd?
@conrad can you remember some other drill i missed or have any comments or observations of the drills of you own?

and yeah, i forgot to add something very important AA was very insistant about...every stroke that you are doing with anti, you must try to "lead" the ball in a way that it stays on the anti for the longest time posible...when you push with anti, imagine the stoke is not short and abrupt but long, like you are carrying the ball over the net...it gives you max control with max spin reversal and disturbance for the opponent...

1st

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 04:04 

Here are the fundamental strokes, in order of most to least technical difficulty (in my opinion):
1. Glanti "Press" stroke - used against any type of ball except a real loop
2. Glanti block - used against a real loop
3. Glanti attack - used against a backspin ball

#1 - the glanti press
Position: close to the table
Backswing: in front of belly, as close to the body as possible
Stroke direction: forward, linear and as horizontal as possible
Action: smooth and long, with a sense of carrying the ball; i.e., do not catapult the ball off the blade with a short snappy stroke
Ball contact: close to the body; do not reach for the ball
Racket angle: nearly vertical; slightly more open (maybe 10 degrees from vertical) for incoming backspin ball; also more open for less aggressive "Press"
Timing: preferably off the bounce but ok up to peak of the bounce
Matchplay key: be as aggressive as possible while still maintaining the sense of carrying the ball; this potentially makes it less safe but that's what training and practice are for. The advantage of being aggressive is that the ball is not an easy attack opportunity for the opponent.
Videos:
My technique is far from perfect but here are my best attempts.
press vs topspin https://youtu.be/eqRiToII_FE
press vs backspin https://youtu.be/KFwTMaI9Ox4
AA does the glanti press vs topspin each time the ball is served to him from 0:24-2:00 in the following video: https://youtu.be/_C4YtoUTPqI

#2 - the glanti block vs. a real loop
Position: somewhat close to the table
Backswing: in front of belly, but doesn't need to be as close to the body
Stroke direction: none - hold it as still as possible
Action: none - hold it as still as possible
Ball contact: somewhat close to the body
Racket angle: is nearly vertical but slightly open; much more open (maybe 20 degrees from vertical) for a spinny incoming loop, especially if it's slow and spinny
Timing: anywhere between off the bounce and peak of the bounce
Matchplay key: It is extremely difficult to train your brain to open the blade the most for an incoming slow spinny loop. Trust the technical theory - open the blade.

#3 - the glanti attack vs. backspin
Position: don't need to be as close to the table
Backswing: in front of belly, as close to the body as possible
Stroke direction: only slightly upwards from horizontal
Action: powerful drive, be aggressive so the ball clears the net before topspin brings it down
Ball contact: don't reach for the ball
Racket angle: nearly vertical but slightly open; more open (10-20 degrees from vertical) for a spinny incoming backspin ball
Timing: around the peak of the bounce to give you sufficient time to make a good quality shot
Matchplay key: Take your time with this shot; the other two require a bit earlier timing to put more pressure on the opponent, but this is an attacking shot which will be enough pressure.

Last edited by hardbatpower on 26 Jul 2016, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 13:31 

A word on equipment: AA is right, the Destroyer blade truly has major synergy with Transformer in 1.0mm. Iceman can attest to this as well. When blocking a loop, the composite plies deaden the speed of the ball, maximize spin reversal, and create a low trajectory. It's a complete mystery to me how this works so well. I've been using mine since I got back from the training course, and it's giving big headaches to my opponents. One of my practice partners refuses to loop against me at all anymore.

Last edited by hardbatpower on 26 Jul 2016, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 00:02 

Also a note on grip: as a former double-inverted player I was always encouraged to keep the forehand grip and backhand grip as similar as possible. That meant of course a slightly forehand-dominant grip with the thumb down, not sticking up. That's fine for what you typically need from an inverted backhand (block, counter) where the blade angle naturally closes a bit during the stroke.

But the glanti press stroke requires keeping the blade angle as vertical as possible throughout the stroke, especially at the back swing. For me this means using a backhand dominant grip with the thumb up. I see this in videos of the best glanti pressers (AA, Amelie) and Pushblocker.

Update: I am working on adapting the glanti press to a neutral shakehands grip. I have found that the follow through doesn't make as much difference as the back swing. So a neutral shakehands grip is feasible, and it allows you to bring the contact point closer to your body which enables better control.

AA, can you help me understand one question: why don't I see Balaban and Mladenovic using the aggressive glanti press the way you and Amelie do?

Last edited by hardbatpower on 29 Jul 2016, 05:04, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 07:40 
Super User

v02man wrote:
Thanks again AA for a great course.

Thanks Iceman for summarizing the drills and doing the forum proud by winning your final in the end of coaching competition.
np, great to know someone from the forum finally :rofl:

Def-attack wrote:
1st

first, thanks to Conrad who summarized the strokes so well...

but the stroke number 1 from above is different...imagine you have inverted on bh and you flick/punch underspin easy ball...the motion is nearly identical, except you need to open the blade a bit more with glanti, like you are aiming over the table...
this guy is doing it a lot...https://www.youtube.com/user/bambooful

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 15:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Thanks all, I have a good idea how it should be done now :)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 22:37 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
@iceman- great summary!!!! :up: :clap: 8)

@conrad- great summary too ;) to answer your question: let me put it this way: i think they would play a lot better if they would use their anti to attack, but my guess is that they havent learnt the technique to play with the anti in a more offensive fashion..luka compensates this a bit by twiddling and attacking with the inverted side from his backhand.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 01:50 

We should sticky this thread, it's awesome!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 19:07 
Super User

i think we should open a thread about glanti training and discussion about the technique...so people will know what's there...because now, it is hidden under this thread...imho...

that being said, cant wait to train tt again to learn all this anti s*** :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 04:52 

Thanks AA. I stand corrected: in this latest match you can see some very nice glanti presses by Balaban at 6:14. https://youtu.be/j55y8zrTOeo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next