OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 01:28 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
carbonman wrote:
I wasn't trying to be cruel, nor was I trying to be discouraging. :) I have done a dozen or so 'guess the ratings' on MYTT and am rarely more than 50 pts off. Perhaps I am a little off this time as I am not that familiar with the lower end of the USTTA ratings. The player in the dark shirt would be around 1000 RC . Perhaps that equates to something more than US 1300 (??). Maybe the OOAK members around US 1300-1700 could give a better indication.

I tried :) . It's a challenge for someone outside of US to assign USATT estimate - for instance I still have no clue how Australian RC scale relates to US RC or USATT, not enough cross-play between two populations.

To make it even tougher - this range of USATT ratings is made up of several rather distinct populations with very different styles: coached juniors who are on the way up and old farts like myself who've been there for ages and probably will be for a long time to come. The former look very good with textbook strokes, decent footwork etc., but still make too many mistakes, only want to attack, and don't have enough savvy to overcome non-orthodox styles and material (looping dead balls is frequently a challenge for them). They usually get out of this (~1600) band in a couple of months or so.

The latter crew has been there for a long time and looks like it is playing a different game: weird self-taught strokes, 'potted plant' footwork, plenty of pips, anti etc. Usually has at least a couple of decent strengths but also a weakness, which is not always easy to spot.

Your overall rating will be determined by how well you do against all of them: loopers, blockers, anti, hitters, penholders, push-blockers etc. So, OP could be anywhere in our wide range of estimates (offered here and at MyTT) - probably closer to the lower side. It also does not matter much :).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 02:41 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Der_Echte wrote:
pgpg took a SLEDGEHAMMER and hit the nail with it.

USATT 2000 level is a good goal for players several levels below that... yet as pgpg sez, the USATT ratings do not apply to you, nor do they help or hurt your game.

For you to get to this playing level, you would need to pretty much improve on everything by 3 levels. That isn't gunna happen this month or next month or next year. Yeah, everyone can call me cruel, but it is straight talk, and why I praised carbonman.

Pushing at 2000 level is SUPPOSED to be pointless and a losing shot, but even at that level, it can win points or set them up if the push has quality. As long as the push did not result in you getting your block head knocked off AND it gave you a ball to attack, then it wasn't such a bad shot after all. Ditto for the push that an opponent wants to attack and misses, it counts one point just the same as if you smashed a winner.

I still remember seeing up close a visitor from China (~2600+ at least) beat one of our 2100 players in league play mostly by pushing. They were short, half long, or deep as needed, pretty heavy, and went into uncomfortable places. Makes you think...

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 05:13 

Do you know rating of your opponent? Maybe you could be around 1000 or 1000+? Only way to tell is if you play multiple people who are USATT rated. And keep in mind you may find yourself beating and losing to people of various ratings depending how comfortable they are against pips. I play modern defense style myself and have beaten people 300-400 rating points higher than other people who have beaten me, because they are not used to playing against long pips while others are.

Last edited by benc6190 on 14 Dec 2017, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 21:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'm with carbonman. I'm currently 900 RC but our whole club I suspect is about 100 too low. It's really hard to tell however I'm confident of having a good game against both these guys. Couldn't confidently say whether I'd win or lose though. Our Rc1,350 would kill them.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 13:27 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Cobalt wrote:
I'm with carbonman. I'm currently 900 RC but our whole club I suspect is about 100 too low. It's really hard to tell however I'm confident of having a good game against both these guys. Couldn't confidently say whether I'd win or lose though. Our Rc1,350 would kill them.

The OP put the same clip on MYTT and estimates ranged from 1000-1900. A number pointed out that most of the points were lost rather than won and the number of unforced errors was very high. I thought the same thing with my original estimate. I also thought there was a related problem with ball control - the OP seems to have difficulty just staying in a rally. Technique, footwork and balance were other concerns.

Cobalt, I actually think you would probably beat them atm - if nothing else, just simply by your ability to put the ball on the table. And yes, they would struggle to get many points against an RC 1350 player.

Even if this assessment (and the assessment from a number of others on MYTT) is accurate, the OP shouldnt be too concerned. He presumably hasnt been playing that long and I suspect hasnt done too much serious training. With 6-12 months of systematic training could be twice as good as he is now.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 03:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I think the long pips introduce a dimension to the Match that make things a little harder to assess. But the quality of the Match itself is 1700 or lower depending I whether the topspin counters are legitimate or are based on low spin levels.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 04:54 

Blade: Ross Leidy Cassandra
FH: Tenergy 05 fx
BH: Tsp p1r 1.0-1.3
Thanks for all your reply guys. I actually do more training than I play games. But alas it's only twice a week for now which is the reason for the lack of consistency, and as carbonman mentioned it is definitely not systematic. Just multiball/singleball depending on what I feel like needs work on. This could also explain why there were some 'high level' techniques in the video while many other points were just poor. And my opponent, when he played against a two winged looper he absolutely destroyed him with some consistent powerlooping and I doubt that was a low level match. I guess the lps were the reason for the weirdness, the main reason I won the grand final too was because I exploited high pushes due to the long pips. That guy was an even better powerlooper and his form is truly beautiful, wish I had some footage. Nevertheless, I hope to start 4 days a week training by the end of this month to improve my game. I hope to show some gameplay with which I'm content at least within a few months.

P.S I didn't realise the post in mytt went through. It showed an error after I posted it. Any idea how I view the post after logging in?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 04:58 

Benc and Nextlevel I think you guys are on point. The LPs made the difference. I made this guy look much worse than he actually is. When he plays against an orthodox looper he is much better with a very good forehand topspin and solid backhand blocking. And no, we are from Bangladesh so we don't have any USATT rating system (or any rating system).

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 05:16 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

infernowasif34 wrote:
Thanks for all your reply guys. I actually do more training than I play games. But alas it's only twice a week for now which is the reason for the lack of consistency, and as carbonman mentioned it is definitely not systematic. Just multiball/singleball depending on what I feel like needs work on. This could also explain why there were some 'high level' techniques in the video while many other points were just poor. And my opponent, when he played against a two winged looper he absolutely destroyed him with some consistent powerlooping and I doubt that was a low level match. I guess the lps were the reason for the weirdness, the main reason I won the grand final too was because I exploited high pushes due to the long pips. That guy was an even better powerlooper and his form is truly beautiful, wish I had some footage. Nevertheless, I hope to start 4 days a week training by the end of this month to improve my game. I hope to show some gameplay with which I'm content at least within a few months.

P.S I didn't realise the post in mytt went through. It showed an error after I posted it. Any idea how I view the post after logging in?

This is your MyTT thread - no need to log in to read it (only for posting):

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... ?TID=81173

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 06:08 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Hello Wasif! Welcome to OOAK from the Choppers United page on Facebook! :) Glad you made it here. These guys will help you greatly.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 11:49 

Thanks pgpg! And hey Japsican! There is hardly any resemblance to a chopping player style in this video xD hoping to work on that too.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 12:14 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Dang! Does this mean I could possibly be over 1000? :O

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 12:24 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Danthespearton HQ wrote:

Only one way to find out - play a tournament. And, unlike OP, you don't have a good excuse for not doing this.

:)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 13:22 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
pgpg wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

Only one way to find out - play a tournament. And, unlike OP, you don't have a good excuse for not doing this.

I'm actually thinking about it; there's going to be one at MDTTC, if you're familiar with that place, during February, if my source of info is correct. I might go there with a couple friends I made over TT :whew: :rofl:
EDIT: Oooookaaaaaaayyy, there seems to be a slight problem; there's entry fees and you need a USATT membership to enter a tournament, and I don't have either of those, even in 2 months. Well. I'll wait and see

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 22:38 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:

I'm actually thinking about it; there's going to be one at MDTTC, if you're familiar with that place, during February, if my source of info is correct. I might go there with a couple friends I made over TT :whew: :rofl:
EDIT: Oooookaaaaaaayyy, there seems to be a slight problem; there's entry fees and you need a USATT membership to enter a tournament, and I don't have either of those, even in 2 months. Well. I'll wait and see

OK... yes, most of things in this world are not free, and in TT almost none are. You would need at least 35$ to participate in MDTTC tournament: 15$ to enter one event (e.g. U1300, very reasonable fee, by the way) and 20$ tournament pass, don't need to buy yearly USATT membership. I'm not in a position to say whether this is something you can or can not carve out of your budget.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next