OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 19:28 

Hi all. Firstly, this seems like a great forum. I've been lurking for a while but decided to post.

I've been playing for a couple of years. Decided to play "proper" comp for the first time last season. I now have a Ratings Central rating. Think it's currently about 900.
I'm also having some lessons. I'm keen to improve. But the problem is, I'm VERY time poor.
At my level, I seem to mainly play older pushers.
I've developed an on ok forehand loop.
But my backhand is weak. I tend to just push back on my backhand and attack on my forehand. My coach is trying to teach me an aggressive topspin backhand, but I'm struggling. In an ideal world, I'd practise a lot and develop my backhand. But in reality, I know that's unlikely given my time constraints. So I'm wondering what to do to make backhand a little more dangerous, without developing a backhand loop.
I'm using Hexer Duro in 1.9 on both sides. I like it. Not that I know much about equipment.
So. Should I simply try to be more aggressive with my pushes? Would long pips help? Are there any better inverted rubbers for pushing? As you can tell, I don't really know what to do, or if it's possible to do anything. Thanks for any replies. The only thing I would ask is that you don't reply with "practice your topspin backhand more" as I've explained that it's unlikely to happen. Many thanks!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 19:52 
Super User

Changing to long pips would make pushing easier, help you land a few more balls on the table and might fool some non aggressive opponents. Your ratings will likely improve just a little bit. But you will also likely hit a ceiling in a few months and loose to smarter more aggressive players.

However, changing to long pips also comes with a learning curve and you still need to practice to get used to that. So that part of the game is non-negotiable, in fact, you already answered your own question. Inverted or long pips, you need practice.

At 900, your options to branch are virtually unlimited, you decide which area you want to put your limited time to use best.

Cheers,

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 20:10 

Sounds like I'm a bit doomed then, and will have to try enjoy the level I'm currently at. Thanks for replying.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 20:44 
Super User

MrTrying wrote:
Sounds like I'm a bit doomed then, and will have to try enjoy the level I'm currently at. Thanks for replying.

Why you so pessimistic? Ping pong is fun, pick up the bat and play. You'll get better with time.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 20:52 

[quote="You'll get better with time.[/quote]

And therein lies the problem.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 22:21 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
You won't get better if you are not playing.

If you have difficulties with making topsin with backhand, try to change effect with pushes.
Most people just push the ball back with same batangle. I push with more effect and then with less so the ball get's higher and i can hit the ball fast.
If you change bat angle en make a more forward motion and less up / down you do now you can create more spin which and the next push with less spin it is harder for the opponent. And placement. Don't play it where he likes it. Give much backspin to the forhand or more to his playing elbow.

If you learn how to read spin you can pick out the correct balls to hit with a little topspin.

But you can't make any progress if you don't play.
If you can play only once a week, you will get better slower then when you play 3 times a week.
But with play you improve ... you can't just 'develop' something and be good at it without practise.

Going with LP is going te make it even harder as the stroke is very different than with inverted and you need more time to adjust.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 08:45 

Thanks so much for the replies. So I think I'll stick with inverted. I play twice a week. Once competition, once a lesson. I think I'll focus on more complicated pushes on my backhand, to hopefully set up my forehand. Any particular inverted rubbers that are better for this?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 16:30 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
I like the tacky ones like dhs skyline. But it has almost no bounce off the rubber so not all like to play with it.
The neo's you can use but are more expensive ...

It's a lot to do with technic. If you want more spin, you make a longer brush so start early on the bat (so not the middle off the bat, but all the bat)

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 22:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you can play twice a week, then use half of one of those sessions for actual practice, rather than play games. Yeah, easier said than done, you will need to find a like-minded person willing to do this. You can make practice more fun if you play set piece "points" - for instance, if you want to practice forehand looping against backspin, you can arrange for your practice partner to serve long backspin to your forehand. After you've gotten better at it he can then vary the placement so you can practice using your feet to get into position. After you loop the backspin serve, then you're both free to finish the point in any way possible. Alternate serves every two points, don't keep score.

If you can't do this, then I would suggest some time aside 2 or 3 times a year to get some concentrated coaching over a weekend or over 2-3 evenings, perhaps at a different venue. Maybe make a vacation out of it.

As to improving your pushes.. try (practice!) varying placement and length, and try to put heavy backspin on each push. Fast, long spinny serves to the corners are amazingly effective at the lower levels of the game. At the higher levels players can loop them back so people will push short, but at under 1400 or so USATT, people don't loop that well so it's not vital to push or serve short.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 17:06 
Super User

Blade: Sansonov Force Pro
FH: H3PROV
BH: light and fast
Practice, practice and build habits. Do not expect to have quick results , especially in match, but after month or two you will see that your BH loop will be there for you, mainly while practicing cause your mind won't be occupied with the stress to win points and you can focus on the move. So keep on practicing. Results always come

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2019, 19:00 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Some dos and don'ts, assuming my experience is anything to base your decision on ...

Change to LP for backhand? Don't!
You need very specific practice to improve with LP beyond a certain point, and you need a lot more time to build reflexes (to play consistently) if you have different coverings on the sides. Pushing may be easier, and some opponents will misread your returns, but your pushes will not be more "dangerous". On the contrary, they will have less spin. A lot less. If your push is OK for now, you don't need this.

More aggressive pushing? Do!
Return early (off the bounce) and long/fast, and wait for the ball that pops up so you have time to step around and use your forehand. Also take Iskandar's advice about variation. Note that using a looser grip and/or striking near handle will make a lot less spin and speed than if you have a firm grip / strike more towards the tip of your racket. Use this to vary spin with identical movement. Causes misreads almost as often as LP, without sacrificing spin capacity and without confusing your reflexes.

Change equipment? Don't!
If you like what you have, and it allows you to execute all the strokes you need, you're good. Just practice, kick ass (or have your ass kicked) and have fun!

Of course, try to learn to attack with BH too. Practice the required strokes. Do drills when you feel like it and you have an opponent who feels the same. Note also that a surprise dropshot can be just as efficient for attack as a fast flick/loop.

Last edited by keme on 30 Oct 2019, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2019, 17:38 

Blade: Pingskills touch
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Yinhe Moon Pro
Like some of the posts have mentioned, you can make it harder for your opponent to loop by varying the amount of spin and placement on your push. Cut under the ball with flatter blade and longer stroke for more backspin and more closed with shorter stroke for less spin (careful receiving heavy backspin though). Try to vary some short and some closer to the edge of the table (especially if you notice the opponent being too close or too far).

That being said, being able to topspin with the backhand is an essential part of a complete game. Once opponents notice you push everything on the backhand, they will probably pick your game apart quickly. Trying to push topspin or sidespin serves can be tricky, and tends to get people in trouble.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2019, 23:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I cannot believe someone said changing to LP will help your pushing. Pushing is best performed with inverted. LP pushing is very difficult. VERY. Work on pushing both short, but also long, deep and fast to difficult areas (wide FH or wide BH depending on opponent and their strengths). Hexer duro is totally fine. If you play twice a week I would recommend new rubber every year. Good luck.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 06:51 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
Limited time to adjust from current setup.
Unable to produce a good BH spin.

Why non try Short pips on that BH? Easier step from inverted. Biggest downside is the inability to spin... which you mention isn't working out for you. As a bonus you'll have less of a problem with incomming spin to SP and attacking with SP is a whole lot easier than LP. Sure you won't get the same magic as some LP's but your BH will be negating the crap your opponent gives as well to a high degree. Plus sink balls from SP can really mess up players that play a linear pace.

Meanwhile you can still continue to develop that FH to produce spin in time of need.

It's not my goto recommendation to players of your level but within your stated restrictions it's a pretty viable one.