OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 06:03 

Blade: Butterfly Photino Light
FH: Victas V>15 Extra
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
So a little background: I recently came back to table tennis after a 2 month break where I got really good at a video game called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In competitive play, a big part of the game is noticing your opponents habits and keeping track of them so you can make "hard reads" in order to beat them or recognize what they're trying to do and react faster than normal. I never really took the competitive side of table tennis too seriously, but I think it would be worthwhile to put more time into the mental side of the game so I can play better. So what are some habits I should look out for in my opponents and how should I capitalize on them?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 09:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but if you're looking at training your mind to react faster to table tennis shots, you should download Brett's TTEdge phone app (I forget what it's called exactly, but if you search for "table tennis" in the Play Store it should come up).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 00:38 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but one thing maybe is find out what serves your opponent struggles with (assuming you have one in your arsenal that might trouble them)? Another thing is find out how they mostly receive the ball to you. One thing though I think is true is that a lot of analyzing your opponent happens as you play them, especially if you've never played them before, so that a thing.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 03:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Thinking about this.. I suppose this only works for club members or other people you play against all the time, but won't work for people you've just met (for instance, in a tournament). You would note their strong points and weak points. This particular person I have in mind - he plays with OX long pips. He most often swipe-attacks and blocks with it, but he's awfully inconsistent. So I play topspin and backspin balls to his backhand a lot, give him a lot of "bait" (i.e. high balls to his backhand), which 50% of the time he'll try to attack and miss. He'd good and getting better at attacking and blocking on the forehand so I try not to give him any loose pushes to that side unless it's at an extreme angle. Serving fast topspin to his backhand works quite well, I mix fast top-side with top-backspin serves to his backhand, but I have to keep track of what's on the ball so I know what's coming back.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!