OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Loop kill query
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 10:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

rahulsteel wrote:
I agree, there isn't much brushing because the backspin on the ball is marginal, however don't you think if the backspin was huge and it was a net ball, he would have to brush more than this.If you look at rallies between Ma Long and Joo See Hyuk, you can observe that Ma long goes for the loop kill mostly when the ball is quite high and for the low balls , he goes for brush loop.

Actually, even the ones where he waits for the ball to drop have a fairly heavy contact. He doesn't really brush the ball, not like Dell Sweeris would have done in the 1970s. The stroke was more or less vertical, the brush really was a brush and it was almost unreturnable without the use of anti. I don't think people do that much any more - doesn't work as well with the current ball or even the 40mm celluloid ball.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 18:14 

Blade: Stiga
FH: Yasaka Mark 5
BH: Yaska Mark 5
iskandar taib wrote:
rahulsteel wrote:
I agree, there isn't much brushing because the backspin on the ball is marginal, however don't you think if the backspin was huge and it was a net ball, he would have to brush more than this.If you look at rallies between Ma Long and Joo See Hyuk, you can observe that Ma long goes for the loop kill mostly when the ball is quite high and for the low balls , he goes for brush loop.

Actually, even the ones where he waits for the ball to drop have a fairly heavy contact. He doesn't really brush the ball, not like Dell Sweeris would have done in the 1970s. The stroke was more or less vertical, the brush really was a brush and it was almost unreturnable without the use of anti. I don't think people do that much any more - doesn't work as well with the current ball or even the 40mm celluloid ball.

Iskandar

You may be right,but if you look at Chinese players with their physique, they are able to generate so much bat speed, that the initial contact is enough to counter the backspin and generate topspin, because of which they can hit more forward and generate speed. In the loop at 2:12 - 2:14, Ma long was a little far from the ball and had to do a brush loop, as he couldn't generate much power from his body in that position.

So in short, I believe the initial contact should be a brush and then move the stroke forwards to generate speed, and this depends on the amount of power your are able to generate i.e Less power = More brush through the shot ; More power = initial brush + move forward with the stroke.

Regards,
Rahul

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 12:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, all it takes to "counter the backspin" with a heavier contact would be to open up the racket face while stroking upwards somewhat. It's just a matter of lifting the ball up so it clears the net. Yes, you can use a really thin contact and high racket speed, this means the racket head is moving faster than the tangential speed of the ball's surface, OR you can open up the racket face and lift the ball using a heavier contact. I'd argue you get more speed and a lower trajectory (which would be harder to counter-kill) doing it the second way.

Iskandar