OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2020, 21:17 

Blade: DHS PG7
FH: DHS 651
BH: 1 sided (Red covering)
If a return ball is coming and if I let it bounce, it will bounce 3 times before it falls off the table, how should I return it? It has backspin by the way.

Should I flick? Should I just push it back super shortly?

or should I push long and get ready to counter drive/attack? I'm a Jpen Counter Driver By the way. (1 sided)

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2020, 06:33 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Strictly speaking, after the second bounce but before the third bounce.

It depends. How much backspin is on the ball? How well does your flick cope with backspin? How short is the ball, is the third bounce very close to the end of the table? How does your opponent cope with your flick? How well does your opponent cope with a super short push? How well does your opponent cope with your long push? Does your flick win you the point straight off or set you up for a fourth shot kill? Does one of your alternative shots (flick, short or long push) result in a rally which means that you are playing your "A" game? What happens if you are looking to flick and the opponent serves long?

Usually you will try a few different things in the first game and see what works for you. Your opponent may well be able to tee off on your flick, so it very much depends.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2020, 17:40 

Retriever wrote:
Strictly speaking, after the second bounce but before the third bounce.

It depends. How much backspin is on the ball? How well does your flick cope with backspin? How short is the ball, is the third bounce very close to the end of the table? How does your opponent cope with your flick? How well does your opponent cope with a super short push? How well does your opponent cope with your long push? Does your flick win you the point straight off or set you up for a fourth shot kill? Does one of your alternative shots (flick, short or long push) result in a rally which means that you are playing your "A" game? What happens if you are looking to flick and the opponent serves long?

Usually you will try a few different things in the first game and see what works for you. Your opponent may well be able to tee off on your flick, so it very much depends.
I meant 3 times in my half side, sorry for the wrong phrasing

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2020, 19:07 
Super User

Not sure what level you are, but not everything needs to be "topspinned".

Multi-bounce balls usually mean very low energy short and low balls. It will be hard to generate any kind of power by flicking these (especially backspin). Chances are, trying to flick these will just help your opponent set up a harder hit.

Touch short, or push long, focus on placement is the best option.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2020, 02:02 
Super User

lasta wrote:
Not sure what level you are, but not everything needs to be "topspinned".

Multi-bounce balls usually mean very low energy short and low balls. It will be hard to generate any kind of power by flicking these (especially backspin). Chances are, trying to flick these will just help your opponent set up a harder hit.

Touch short, or push long, focus on placement is the best option.

+1

A lot of players I've played at the intermediate level love topspin and prefer that. So I've seen at times it plays into their hands to give them topspin.

Furthermore, you play Jpen. I also play penhold. Are you talking about a FH flick? Or a TPB flick. If it's TPB, while that's nice to be able to execute that shot, IMO it'll never be super powerful and is low percentage if you ask me.

I don't know about you but I play better when on backspin balls to my Bh (I primarily use TPB also) if I largely push and look for an opportunity to step around for a FH open open when I can vs trying high diffulity shots like a TPB flick.

Furthermore, when you watch a lot of TPB penholders play, I think they certainly push balls at a higher % than what you'd see in the more modern style of shakehand dual inverted. So better get good at the push game and looking for opportunities to step around and play your hopefully big FH when you get a chance.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 02:20 

Tried the super short touches like Liu Guo Liang did, hits the edge 50% of the time, and of course, I sometimes flick it deep, and this one really scores again people with trash footwork

I use the Banana Jpen flick I learned in YT. the channel was called asiandrum or something.

My Bananas are really consistent, that's because I have really overly flicky wrists that injure every week or so. but.....

I NEVER do FH Flicks because I apparently can't do them well for some reason, they go to long, maybe it's because I just learned it 3 weeks ago.

And Yes, My FH has bad consistency and I have an inconsistent Footwork, with really bad tendencies to stay to close to the table

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2020, 02:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

multigryper wrote:
If a return ball is coming and if I let it bounce, it will bounce 3 times before it falls off the table, how should I return it? It has backspin by the way.

Should I flick? Should I just push it back super shortly?

or should I push long and get ready to counter drive/attack? I'm a Jpen Counter Driver By the way. (1 sided)

I'd practice all of the above, plus aggressive fast-pushing into the corners. Ideally you should be able to do both banana and strawberry flicks as well. At the very least you should have two or three different options so you don't return the ball the same way again and again. Surprise is your friend.

Iskandar