OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 11:39 

Hello, recently I bought a setup which includes DHS Neo 3 on the forehand. I have read that Chinese rubbers in particular need a lot of force to really get the spin out of them. What are some ways I can train or other activities I can do to increase my hitting power and take full advantage of the Chinese rubber?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You don't need much effort to get the spin out of hurricane 3 neo, you just need to brush the surface as finely as possible. You do need a lot more effort to get speed out of this rubber compared many German/Japanese 'glue effect' rubbers.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 14:13 

haggisv wrote:
You don't need much effort to get the spin out of hurricane 3 neo, you just need to brush the surface as finely as possible. You do need a lot more effort to get speed out of this rubber compared many German/Japanese 'glue effect' rubbers.

Thank you for the insight, I guess that's what the articles meant when reading about the rubber. I have a bad tendency to play weak when ahead so I hope the rubber helps me get out of that bad habit. I have also read that people who say it's "slow" are actually not using correct technique so it ties in with what you said about the speed. Is that also just pure force or does refining technique play a bigger role in that?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 19:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
BananaOG wrote:
Is that also just pure force or does refining technique play a bigger role in that?

Technique and timing plays a very big role in getting both speed and spin. Proper footwork also makes it much easier to get power.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2020, 03:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Check out that really long thread about developing strokes under "General". It's based on "ttedge", which is an online coaching website with lots of videos. I think you can boil it down to getting the power out of your body rather than just using your arm. Search on YouTube for "Brett Clarke" and "Like A Boss" and you'll find some free videos that explain this.

Recently Brett posted (on that thread) about equipment - his contention was that it paid to use equipment with moderate speed - this gives more control, allowing you to land shots on the table, and you add the speed you need using technique.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2020, 15:40 

Blade: Stiga
FH: Yasaka Mark 5
BH: Yaska Mark 5
From what I hear is that Chinese tacky rubbers, help you to form a basic foundation of brushing the ball, because faulfure to do so isn't forgiving, unlike European rubbers where even if it isn't a fine brush, the ball has some spin on it and the quality of the shot is better.

Speed is one of the main drawbacks of Chinese tacky rubbers, due to which you are encouraged to put in a lot more force and use your entire body in the shot - probably one of the reasons why, Chinese players have huge legs - as they are training right from the beginning to use a lot of force in their shots to generate speed (spin is already there due to brushing action)

So if you are a learner and well built or pretty athletic, I would suggest to use a Chinese tacky rubber and once you have developed enough skill, you can shift to a tensor European rubber.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 02:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't know about this "brushing the ball" stuff. If you watch videos of people who use H3 (not just Chinese players, but even some Japanese like Sato Kasumi) they don't seem to use brush loops that much. What they do do is use their legs and waist to produce high racket speed and power. The point in using H3 is that it gives fine control over the table, and then produces more power than is possible with European rubbers when used with all-out straight arm loop-kills.

FF to 2:04. (Watch the whole video, though..)

Iskandar