OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2020, 21:54 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
Hi guys. A guy at our club (low/mid intermediate level) asked me to teach him better footwork since people keep telling him that's his biggest flaw and prevents him from leveling up. Now I'm not a master myself but I could clearly see it's horrible. Now I don't want to spend a lot of time with the guy but I figured I could lend him a finger or two instead of the whole hand. So I gave him some good YT vids on how footwork should be. Let him do a couple of footwork specific physical training drills on daily basis while correcting his stance and letting him play that way will his legs/feet are to tired to stand on the front ball of his feet (that was rather quick btw, he'll need to build of some muscle endurance there). Also started with this side step and stepping in and out depending to the stroke.

Now the problem is that I want to create a quick way to improve to a mediocre level. Bit the biggest problem I face is that the guy has been playing since around his 10th year and played a lot for about 15 years including basically all the commin things except actual coaching to correct what he's doing wrong.

So I tried giving him a few common patterns to play, designed to improve footwork, amd it was still horrible since he couldn't get it into his system after doing things his own way for so many years.

Now I had a similar problem myself but someone actaully took the time to re-teach me nearly everything by playing patterns extremely slowly and constantly correcting those problematic parts. Going step by step from understanding balance to knowing on which foot to lean and when, to side stepping, back and forth hopping, cross stepping... etc. All while going so slow that it felt like kindergarden and seemed to take forever. It worked wonders but I'm not going to do that with this guy nor does he want it to be perfect but atleast make it somewhat decent. So I was wondering if someone has a quicker way that might not get him the complete basics but at least give a quick boost. Which points would you focus on?

(Sorry I don't have video's due to various reasons)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2020, 03:45 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
Hi!

As someone who also is constantly trying to improve my footwork, the #1 problem I always find is my stance. In practice where I maintain a proper stance, everything else fits together nicely. In games or when I stop focusing on my stance, everything falls apart. My strokes become inconsistent and sloppy because I can't properly turn my shoulders or waist, I reach for balls instead of moving to them because I physically can't move to them, and much, much more. Everything becomes inconsistent when I'm not low & have my weight on my toes

I don't know what problems exactly your student is having with his footwork, but if he's not maintaining a good stance while playing then its hard to teach other footwork drills. Even if you can't re-teach him footwork from the ground up, if he maintains a good stance for longer then he'll notice his game will improve just from better consistency in his strokes.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2020, 04:12 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
2 more trainings with focus on stance. Going soley for stance seems a fast way to increase the use of good footwork. Only problem for this guy is keeping it up. So far he yesterday maintained a whole set in decent stance unless rally's were long. I'm letting him built up the stamina to keep a decent stance for the rest of the month and see how it goes.