OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 15:10 

I have noticed almost a constant pain in my back muscles when I attempt to play max-spin forehand topspin, in the region somewhere between shoulder blades, towards left shoulder blade (I am a right-handed player). The pain is located somewhere around rhomboid major muscle as per this picture (except it's on the left side):

Further thoughts: I feel like when I'm nervous, I'm very strained, the explanation for that is: if my back muscles are strained, I can touch the ball more precisely, which my brain thinks is required to play a very spinny topspin, and then when I go for the topspin, I either miss the ball with the racket (due to strain and attempt for risky fast light touch), or if the stroke is good, I feel certain amount of pain near left shoulder blade. Perhaps when I go for the ball already strained, the topspin motion rips through the back muscles and damages them. It can also be the contrary: sometimes I don't strain the back muscles, and when I go for a risky max-spin ball, the inertia of the hand has to be stopped with the back muscles, and the moment when I need strain the back muscles to bring the torso and the hand back overstrains and damages the back muscles.

My questions are: do you strain the back muscles before hitting the ball? Do you strain the back muscles after hitting the ball (e.g. to bring the hand back)? Have you experienced similar problems, and if so, what is your experience?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2021, 00:11 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

My personal experience with pain in that area:
it usually comes from constant tension/stress.

Hypothesis:
When you make a forceful forehand stroke it involves a lot of body rotation. This rotation starts with your left arm pulling backwards to gather speed/momentum. The trapezoid muscle is important in this initial action. If you consciously strain your muscles, the tension in the trapezoid is balanced by a similar tension in the pectoral. Movement then depends more on releasing the tension in the chest muscle, and less on additional force applied by muscles in the back, yielding less power than a more relaxed approach.

Suggestion:
Relax. Lower your shoulders. Take a walk. Loosen up.

Please note, this is only personal experience and thoughts. My field of knowledge is not in health/medicine. Your technique may also have a bearing on this, as well as your situation away from the table (e.g. work and personal conditions). You are the expert on that.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2021, 08:29 

See a physio therapist if you want a real answer.

I sometimes also have some pain in that area, but not from TT. Usually when I've done crossed rows with too much weight. I can fix or prevent it by working on my thoracic spine flexibility.