OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Neubauer ABS 3
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2022, 00:29 

dwruck wrote:
Trained exclusively with ABS3 for the last month and had a big tournament with it over the weekend. While I still think it's a very good choice for some players and their styles, I think I am better suited to have something that causes more disturbance, like Storkraft. I have sheets of Barna SuperGlanti and SuperGlanti Absorber that I'm also going to try.

I loved the control of the ABS3. Serve returns were safe, I landed more hits, and short balls I could place where I want. That being said...while I could stay in most points, it didn't give a lot of trouble to most players either. The people I played (mostly USATT 1800 and up) had some issues against it early on in the match, but generally by late in the first game or early in the second, they were too comfortable against it. I had a couple of first games in matches where I raced out to a big lead, only to have to barely hang on and then struggle the rest of the games.

I think that if you are going to use ABS3, you have to be very active in either twiddling or moving around to use the forehand frequently. While I could place hits where I wanted, they generally were counter hit back at me with little trouble. I currently don't twiddle, so in my matches I started looking for opportunities to move the opponent around and then step around and hit a forehand. This worked well against players below 2000. Above 2000 USATT, I had a difficult time getting my forehand set up. I was hoping that against lower rated, lower spinning players that the improved control and hitting ability would be a benefit. I played two players rated just under 1500 USATT. One guy was totally baffled by it, the other guy very little trouble. The only higher rated player (just over 1900) that I played where it helped was a chopper. The ability to control location and attack against the pips was very good and I lost a tough 5 game match.

Right now I'm not in good enough shape to be running around and looping a lot. And I don't have the twiddle in my arsenal. Perhaps if I learn to twiddle or get in better shape I can revisit this rubber. In the right hands, it can be very effective. But at this time I don't think it's a fit for where I'm at.

I understand what you say. Strenght of abs 3 is consistency but in a medium level, if you don't have good movement to close points with fh, is probably less effective.
If you try super glanti please let me know your impression and compare it with storkraft and abs3, i'd like to try it too but i'm a little scared because change during season is bad :)

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2022, 23:15 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Hi Gepi, I had some sessions with the Super Glanti, posted my impressions on the Super Glanti thread in this forum. I totally understand not wanting to switch in the middle of a season. I think there's something to be said for having something you are confident with in knowing how it will react to certain shots. You are younger and do a better job of moving than I do, so I think maybe the ABS3 is better for you than it is for me.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2022, 08:58 

This week, after 4 months of use/3 training for week i think my ABS 3 stopped working. Now it's much faster, like sponge don't absorb speed anymore. Spin reversal is the same (weak). Now Is harder to put short balls and be consistent on certain shots. Only good thing Is attacking strokes that are Better cause there Is more Speed.

Tell me if you get same experience, maybe i had bad luck with my rubber....

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

Last edited by gepi1993 on 02 Dec 2022, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2022, 19:04 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Yesterday I had a first practice with ABS 3 1.5 mm. It´s stil early days but for me the rubbers feel better then the 2mm. It´s a bit faster so pushes are more agressive and deeper on the table. I also think it has more revearsal (couls be becoz the 2 mm is 3 months old). But blocks are more difficult to execute although with lower throw and more revearsal.

I´ll keep playing with it and keep you posted.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2022, 03:39 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
I also had a chance to practice twice now with ABS3 in 1.5mm and I also like a little bit better than the 2.0 though they both very good. The 1.5 is a little bit faster of course but it also has a harder, more direct touch which I liked. bounce is a little bit lower and SU better. I think attacking was a bit easier with the 2.0 but I need to work on that a little bit more. I tested the 1.5 on OSP Virtuoso and OPS Ultimate and it work well on both blades but was borderline too slow on the 5-ply Virtuoso. I liked it better on the stiffer 7-ply Ultimate with good SU and disruptive effect.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2022, 21:42 

Blade: Neub. Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 2.0
BH: Dr Neub Desperado OX
I also had a chance to hit with the new rubber ABS 3 2.0 black.

I also came to the same conclusion as the most posts.
Comparison with ABS 2 PRO and EVO in general:
- Better control
- Little slower speed
- A tad better spin reversal again
- Throw angle about the same as the Pro version

What I felt immediatly was that the sponge of ABS 3 is softer than ABS 2 PRO. ;)

As to spin reversal ABS 3 is better as the normal versions ABS 2 + block is shorter. :devil:
In general spinreversal is at the level from the best anti rubbers in the ABS 2 series.
Also disruptive effect is little better as normal ABS2 versions. The softer sponge really does a good job there.
As to the softer sponge I found it sometimes easier the speed up with an attacking shot + attacking backspin is easier too (despites being slower when blocking). Sometimes I found it more forgiving due the softer sponge. (Or maybe my technique is getting better with the anti rubbers)

Control is as always very high with the ABS 2 EVO rubbers, with the blue sponge, ABS 3 is about the same or little better control as with the ABS2 PRO.
Chopping with this rubber is easy and very controlled as well. But i suggest to stay at the table to get the most out of it.
Control is the same or little improved due the softer sponge, it can give some extra for a game with anti. :punch:

Despites ABS3 is on the slower side, i found it very well to attack backspin. :up:
Abs 3 is very good to keep the ball on the table with good consistency :rock:

Thanks again for the new rubber.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2022, 04:45 

Still playing with the ABS 3 1.5. I´m having great control with it and playing very solid during matches. I keep practicing twiddling and i am able to confuse opponents and do very short difficult blocks. I keep struggling with the offensive shots. I can´t put enough pressure on my opponent so twiddling is what I need to do.

Going to try out the Abs 2 pro this holliday season to see if I can use it to put more pressure on my opponents.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2022, 18:32 

I´ve been trying the the Pro 2 in comparison the Abs 3 1.5.

Too me it´s a totally different beast. Plays more like a pimple rubber. It´s way faster. Reversal is ok. But 3 is better.

For me playing anti is all about tempo play and length of the ball. Yes the pro 2 is better in offense but doest give me the same abbility to slow down the game and be active with my FH. I make some points with revearsal but mostly i´m taking control with the anti and playing winners in FH or Twiddle. And Abs 3 just gives that to me

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2023, 22:08 

Still playing with the ABS 3. 1,5

It has been great for me. Getting better at playing aggressive with it.
And keep improving at twiddling and the decision making.

But ...
I have some weird issues. To my feeling it playing better with a Rakza Z
on FH then with a battle 2. Revearsal and control seems better for some
reason.

You guys think this is possible? Or is it just a weird thing in my head.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 03:29 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
Carels wrote:
Still playing with the ABS 3. 1,5

It has been great for me. Getting better at playing aggressive with it.
And keep improving at twiddling and the decision making.

But ...
I have some weird issues. To my feeling it playing better with a Rakza Z
on FH then with a battle 2. Revearsal and control seems better for some
reason.

You guys think this is possible? Or is it just a weird thing in my head.

I would suggest that the Battle and the Rakza have different weights and this way the balance and the overall feel of the racket changes. It's usually more evident when one changes a light/soft rubber to a heavy one - the other side plays differently in such cases. Probably the same here.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 02:53 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
You are very right! let's use a semi hard sponge like Tibhar super defence on the fh ,then, change to a soft sponge .You will see the anti/pips will play differently and sometimes the change is for the worse or for the better .

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 03:11 

charmander defender wrote:
You are very right! let's use a semi hard sponge like Tibhar super defence on the fh ,then, change to a soft sponge .You will see the anti/pips will play differently and sometimes the change is for the worse or for the better .
I'm just glad i'm not making stuff up. I have better control with Rakza Z on FH. So sticking to that one :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g22 met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2023, 05:48 
Super User

Quite baffling indeed but so true! Disappointing when the change is for the worse :( and gratifying when the change is for the better. :)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2023, 20:21 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 190
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z2
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS
ABS 3 1.5mm test on Stiga Cybershape 8)

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 20:31 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
How durable is this rubber?

I've heard that after a couple of weeks it loses its reversing capabilities. Is that true?

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next