OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 08:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
IMO The ABS is really only great at reversing spin and taking the pace off the ball. As such it's great to return serve and block against loops push against backspin, but the control is terrible against balls with no pace or spin... So unless you twiddle or can run around your backhand, that's a huge weakness to overcome...

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 08:50 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
By the way, regarding the Joola Amy, Joola's marketing claims the Amy Classic is "slightly harder to control – however, the spin reversal when blocking is considerably more dangerous."

This is a complete and total lie.

The spin reversal on the Amy Control is massively more. Don't buy the "Amy Classic" by mistake (it has a very soft sponge and blocks knuckle balls).

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 09:38 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
IMO The ABS is really only great at reversing spin and taking the pace off the ball. As such it's great to return serve and block against loops push against backspin, but the control is terrible against balls with no pace or spin... So unless you twiddle or can run around your backhand, that's a huge weakness to overcome...

I guess I respectably disagree.

ABS actually has high control against no spin. You need to make quick jabs and poke the ball low into uncomfortable places. This is one of your bread and butter shots (ABS handles no-spin better than Super Block). Of course, you always have to be looking to end the point with your forehand or by twiddling.

In addition, you can do effective fast or slow no-spin serves and attack underspin.

It's very important you have these new antis on the right blade. I've tried the ABS on a lot of blades and, like you, was generally unhappy with it. I initially dismissed the Kung Fu blade because I thought its head size was too compact, however I've now come to the conclusion that it's a great blocking blade and compliments the ABS perfectly.

You can't simply have a quick hit and make an accurate judgment on these new antis like you can with more mainstream equipment. The learning curve is steep as they require a different set of shots and a basic revamp of your style and strategy.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 09:59 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

MNNB, am I right to assume that since the Amy is only 0.4mm sponge, it would be the lightest among those antis? By the way, great job with the comparisons and photos.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 10:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

fattchoi wrote:
MNNB, am I right to assume that since the Amy is only 0.4mm sponge, it would be the lightest among those antis? By the way, great job with the comparisons and photos.

Actually Amy 0.4 and ABS 1.2 weigh about the same at around 45 grams a sheet.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 14:28 
Super User

MNNB, do you think the ABS would work well on a DII? Very soft but relatively stiff blade... I am hesitant to switch blades now as it plays incredibly well with the K1.

Would you agree with Hagissv that the ABS is the best blocking anti made by the Dr.?

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 23:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

The ABS is the best I've tried, but I haven't tried Grizzly ABS yet. Not sure how ABS would work with the DII. All I know is it wasn't great on a number of the blades I tried it on, however I have mostly hard, stiff blades. The only blade I can recommend with certainty is the Kung Fu.

Edit: I'm not sure the Kung Fu should be classified as a "soft" blade. It's the softest blade Dr. Neubauer sells according to the specifications on their website, but it still seems medium hard.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 05:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Have tried the Grizzly ABS against the robot and liked it. Seems to have both better control, more spin-reversal and a lower ball bounce than the regular ABS. It's slightly faster. I was apprehensive about putting it on the Gladiator (Dr. N.'s hardest blade), but no problem. It's fine. I've been having encouraging results with the ABS, so I can't wait to use the Grizzly ABS now. :devil:

BTW, I've been losing with Joola Amy/White Spot combo mainly because in the heat of battle I forget about the Solja push block and just do regular blocking. :headbang:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 03:43 

Thanks for all the reviews of the options. I like the butterfly super anti special (semilar anti). Its rated slower then the regular but I find that only true on slower balls. The harder spounge allows attacking on any type of ball. I placed it on a carbon blade (O+) to allow a strong forhand as well as attacking with the anti. Most loopers don't know how to handle a counter hit with anti off there loop. Granted I only play (2000 usatt rating) so to make up for being old and slow I had to learn how to attack with it. It is slow enough to maintain control when I am not in possition but hits hard enough (and strange) to end points. I recomend finding a sheet that you like how it fills and just feels comfortable when your not set. Then learn how to hit with what ever that one is. Good luck

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 20:57 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
one small thing i disagree with: the gorilla and anti-special seem a tad smoother than the abs

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 22:01 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Minor Thread Derail... AA, you recovered from injury and back in action yet?

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 08:53 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Der_Echte wrote:
Minor Thread Derail... AA, you recovered from injury and back in action yet?

hi there! ;) the injury is chronic, but its nothin that seriously affects me whilst playing, so i played throughout the season which was a great success! i added two new videos in the video section. cheers!

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 09:18 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

bvautier wrote:
Speedplay,

Thanks for the advice I will get a sheet of super anti and give it a try.

If you need a sheet, I got 1 in 1.5mm red, also a black gorilla in .5mm. Already cut.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 16:41 
Super User

metal monkey wrote:
bvautier wrote:
Speedplay,

If you need a sheet, I got 1 in 1.5mm red, also a black gorilla in .5mm. Already cut.

Thanks Monkey, I might give the a try. I will let you know next time I come down.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 17:39 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

bvautier wrote:
metal monkey wrote:
bvautier wrote:
Speedplay,

Thanks Monkey, I might give the a try. I will let you know next time I come down.

Okay, whenever you need it Bv, I also gotta sheet of neo anti 1.5mm. If you wanna try it now I can send it out to you?