OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: DR Neubauer - ABS 2 soft
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 08:59 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
" ..... A-B-S 2 SOFT is probably the first frictionless Anti-Spin rubber on the market that also allows for active blocking since the bat can be gently moved forward while blocking. This will produce a diving ball and also spin reversal.
This way you do not need to block short over the net every time, instead it is possible to change the rhythm of the game.

Just like A-B-S 2, this new version A-B-S 2 SOFT provides outstanding control that will enable you to reach maximum effectiveness even on fast blades, including with ABS balls. ...... "

https://www.drneubauer.com/shop.php?cat ... =&prod=138

This is the testing period . It seems Abs 2 soft is safer at blocking , others comment there is little difference with regular ABS 2 . In the German forum people still need to do more tests but some point out there both advantages and disadvantages with ABS2 soft .

I ordered ABS 2 in 2.5 mm at TT 11 ; the soft version is out of stock already!! . In the meantime, I will be testing regular ABS2 , then, when the soft version is available I will make a comparison .Maybe, Matt will be able to get a sample from Carsten sooner and show us his impressions .

I will be working hard to adapt to the change from LP . I will compete in a new tournament the first week in August where I will meet great loopers with fast spinny rubbers . Great and fun !! :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 18:05 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I just wrote this in my blog:

I did a little test with the robot, comparing Diabolic Extra Slow with the new Dr Neubauer ABS 2 soft. Both are very good but also a little different. ABS is better for attacking while Diabolic is better for blocking.

https://youtu.be/SqVTjzrVPZ0

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 21:51 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:

I did a little test with the robot, comparing Diabolic Extra Slow with the new Dr Neubauer ABS 2 soft. Both are very good but also a little different. ABS is better for attacking while Diabolic is better for blocking.

Fantastic video!!! it really helps a lot to see how the rubbers perform ! thank you so much ! due to kind forum members like you , we can get valuable informatiion in the testing period. :rock:

Yes, it seems Diabolic is safer , slower and blocks shorter . It also appears that with ABS you can be more aggressive so It will depend on the player's strategy to decide which is the best for their game .Maybe the kind of blade can play an important role here as well .

I will be testing ABS2 SOFT and regular in 2.5 mm .The blades will be Nittaku Ludeack and Thibar Samsonov Premium contact , I do not like off + blades with too much speed .

I am waiting for the post . It will be great to see how ABS 2 Soft and regular perform in an international high level tournament on the 3rd August . :rock:

If I can block shorter with ABS 2, it means the use of the blade is paramount and yes, I like to be aggressive specially on attacking back spin .

From your findings, it seems you liked ABS 2 SOFT :rock:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 22:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

charmander defender wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Fantastic video!!! it really helps a lot to see how the rubbers perform ! thank you so much ! due to kind forum members like you , we can get valuable informatiion in the testing period. :rock:

Yes, it seems Diabolic is safer , slower and blocks shorter . It also appears that with ABS you can be more aggressive so It will depend on the player's strategy to decide which is the best for their game .Maybe the kind of blade can play an important role here as well .

I will be testing ABS2 SOFT and regular in 2.5 mm .The blades will be Nittaku Ludeack and Thibar Samsonov Premium contact , I do not like off + blades with too much speed .

I am waiting for the post . It will be great to see how ABS 2 Soft and regular perform in an international high level tournament on the 3rd August . :rock:

If I can block shorter with ABS 2, it means the use of the blade is paramount and yes, I like to be aggressive specially on attacking back spin .

From your findings, it seems you liked ABS 2 SOFT :rock:

Thanks. I really can’t say what I think about ABS 2 soft yet, I need proper practice sessions and a few matches before I can say anything more. Also, durability is an issue here, Diabolic has a fragile top sheet and sponge, after 2-3 months it gets slightly more grippy and the dampening effect gets worse. But I have no idea if that is just my sheet or all, and I don’t know how ABS 2 soft is in this aspect.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2019, 23:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Here is short review on Dr Neubauer ABS2 soft 2,5 mm, mostly compared to DMS Diabolic Extra Slow.

I have been trying out the new Neubauer ABS 2 soft 2,5 mm the last weeks, on two different blades - my main blade Stiga Carbonado 90 and a Spinlord Ultra Carbon. I have used it against the robot and in practice and match play. I must say that I really like this Neubauer anti, it givas many options and is really fun to play.

It is possible to attack no spin or light top spin balls but it would require a decent amount of practice to get consistent. Blocking is rather good and like other has described it is better to meet the ball than just hold the bat still. Against hard loops this can be a little tricky though, depending on how fast your blade is. Also, ball tends to go high sometimes (mostly at passive blocks).

Attacking back spin is really good and it can be done with several different techniques. Just slap the ball using the wrist and an opend bat is fast and easy, but it requires consistency in technique or that you be a little careful. But this is of course the same for every frictionless anti. Aggressive pushing is very good as well as attacking with a stiff wrist. ABS2 soft makes attacking in general easier since the soft top sheet kind of ”hugs” the ball at hard impact and guides the ball in the right way without the top sheet being grippy. This is really cool! This is also why attacking no spin is better than with most antis. But how long this will work, when the top sheet and sponge gets worn, I do not know.

This softness also comes with a price, and for me it is control in blocks. Both height and length are a little difficult to control. It may be more important with this anti than some others to have the correct bat angle when blocking and the window of marigin is rather small between a block that sails away too long or goes to the net. This can of course be fixed with practice and a slow blade.

I believe that the Neubauer style of antis is, compared to Reflection or Diabolic ES, not very dependent on what blade it is used on when it comes to spin reversal. The thick, dense and rather hard sponge makes the anti work on most blades that are not too soft.

I have spent some time finding a blade that works for both my FH, serve and BH. ABS 2 soft works ok on this blade (Stiga Carbonado 90) but I would need a lot more practice to be able to block very consistent and in a way that prevents the opponent from looping even better the next time.

And this is where I feel I can’t go any further at this point. I would need to change to a lot slower blade to feel at least close to as safe on BH as I do with my main setup. That change would perhaps be worth it if I had 5 practice sessions per week and would be able to get my FH to work with a slower blade. But I am stuck with, at best, 2 sessions per week (family and works takes a lot of time :) ) and my FH works very good for the moment. So I will not change anti now, but I may do it later, depending on how my game develops this season and what happens with the development of antis, blades and balls.

So, in short, there is a lot of potential with this anti but I would need a slower blade to use it and that would hurt the rest of my game more than I would gain from it at this moment.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 09:32 
Super User

Fantastic review, Def attack !!! . Abs 2 soft has potential and also , it is versatile !! .I would like to know your views on the amount of spin reversal it offers, compared to MSP rubbers, for example Reflection or Scandal .Would you say it is superior - in spin reversal - to MSP rubbers?

What I seem to understand is that ABS 2 Soft is a better rubber due to its versatility and there appears to be no need to block so short like the MSP rubbers do because with ABS 2 Soft you can make active blocking with the blade moving forward , whereas the MSP rubbers are unsuitable to this kind of blocking .

Also, if regular ABS 2 has an average durability of 4/ 6 months, the ABS 2 SOFT should last similarly. What we do know is MSP rubber durability is problematic - except for Scandal, we still don't know if it has poor durability or not -

I have been practising more hours with Deluxe Carbon + Scandal 0.9 and SW 1.5 . The only problem is when I face no spin , flat ball -like opponents :lol: . The anti is toothless and I quickly have to twiddle compulsorily .

SW in 1.5 is great, blocks great, chops great,and attacks back spin safely and accurately. I cannot generate super mega spin but enough spin to trouble in serves and rallies .

I have another tournament to play this weekend.Let´s see what happens with Deluxe carbon plus Scandal when I meet the great loopers .

good day !! :)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 10:35 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
@Def-attack: thanks a lot for your nice report!
Did you test the regular ABS2 as well and can you compare the soft version to it?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 16:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I did not try the regular ABS or ABS2 so i cannot compare.

Back spin on blocks are better with Diabolic ES and Reflection. Diabolic also has lower throw while Reflection has about the same (perhaps higher than ABS2 soft). My Scandal did not have as good spin reversal as Reflection or Diabolic, more like ABS 2 soft.

My next step is to get a thinner Diabolic (I asked Guido for the thinnest sheet they have when I ordered, should be like 1,0). And perhaps also try a sheet on my Carbonado 190 (faster, harder and lower throw).

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 20:12 
Super User

Hi, Matt , Hi Def Attack !!

From all the information I gathered I can conclude ABS 2 Soft is a better version of ABS 2 , more versatile, permitting different kind of blocks - active ones with a wrist movement forward - , as safe as ABS 2, great attacking capabilities, and decent spin reversal although it is inferior to some of the MSP rubbers in this department . Yes, the best thing is to test it but thanks to dear forum members like Def Attack and others in other forums, we can get a very approximate idea of what we will find out once we start testing the rubber . Also, let me tell you, some of the features shown by the rubbers can change slightly or a lot depending on the blade and especially your FH rubber; for example, I perform better and the anti performs more nicely - for me- with thinner sponge on the FH , max 1.5 . I hope this info helps and once again many thanks for Def Attack's findings . :)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2019, 22:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Hi, Matt , Hi Def Attack !!

From all the information I gathered I can conclude ABS 2 Soft is a better version of ABS 2 , more versatile, permitting different kind of blocks - active ones with a wrist movement forward - , as safe as ABS 2, great attacking capabilities, and decent spin reversal although it is inferior to some of the MSP rubbers in this department . Yes, the best thing is to test it but thanks to dear forum members like Def Attack and others in other forums, we can get a very approximate idea of what we will find out once we start testing the rubber . Also, let me tell you, some of the features shown by the rubbers can change slightly or a lot depending on the blade and especially your FH rubber; for example, I perform better and the anti performs more nicely - for me- with thinner sponge on the FH , max 1.5 . I hope this info helps and once again many thanks for Def Attack's findings . :)

It seems ABS 2 soft (and perhaps other similar antis) are sensitive when it comes to how they are glued to the bat. Speed is lower and ther might be better spin reversal when as little glue as possible is used. I guess this is also valid for lp ox. However, Neubauer’s rubber comes with glue already mounted (just just remove a plastic sheet and then there is something sticky like a glue sheet). So to be able to glue with very little glue that sticky layer may need to be removed first. This is not something I have done myself, just a heads up if you really want the maximum effect out of the rubber. There are of course other parameters to consider, like the blade, if it is sealed etc.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 18:19 
Super User

I do agree on your observations.Maybe the best thing with ABS 2 Soft is just to stick the rubber directly without glueing the blade .That was what I did when I tested regular ABS 2 , and spin reversal was quite all right, not massive like MSP rubbers but enough to set up my game .Of course, sealing the blade with a thin layer will prevent any problems when unsticking the rubber .

On a side note, Def Attack , I suggest you try Nittaku Ludeack . It is a great blade, very similar in features to your Stiga Carbonado 90 and the speed is more or less the same. It is of great quality and just a bit less stiff .I got it mounted on Reflection 0.9 and the spin reversal is massive.These days I am using Deluxe Carbon as I do not want to unstick the Reflection and besides, I need lots of more hours to master Reflection. For me Scandal is much , much easier to use and the spn reversal is enough to set up my game .

With Ludeack your FH will not worsen and it blocks great.I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 18:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I do agree on your observations.Maybe the best thing with ABS 2 Soft is just to stick the rubber directly without glueing the blade .That was what I did when I tested regular ABS 2 , and spin reversal was quite all right, not massive like MSP rubbers but enough to set up my game .Of course, sealing the blade with a thin layer will prevent any problems when unsticking the rubber .

On a side note, Def Attack , I suggest you try Nittaku Ludeack . It is a great blade, very similar in features to your Stiga Carbonado 90 and the speed is more or less the same. It is of great quality and just a bit less stiff .I got it mounted on Reflection 0.9 and the spin reversal is massive.These days I am using Deluxe Carbon as I do not want to unstick the Reflection and besides, I need lots of more hours to master Reflection. For me Scandal is much , much easier to use and the spn reversal is enough to set up my game .

Is DeLuxe Carbon better than Ludaeck or Carbonado when it comes to spin reversal?

I am not sure I want to change blade. I will try my Carbonado 190 again. But if I should change to slower i might as well chose my Spinlord Ultra Carbon. Or go much slower. I am very curious of The Wall carbon, DMS newest blade.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2019, 22:46 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:

Is DeLuxe Carbon better than Ludaeck or Carbonado when it comes to spin reversal?

I am not sure I want to change blade. I will try my Carbonado 190 again. But if I should change to slower i might as well chose my Spinlord Ultra Carbon. Or go much slower. I am very curious of The Wall carbon, DMS newest blade.

Ludeack is 7-ply - all wood . Deluxe Carbon is 5 ply + 2 carbon layers .You can imagine the success of Deluxe Carbon as it is out of stock at tt 11 once again !!!!! Deluxe Carbon is an off - blade ; enough speed, great control . Blocking with inverted is great and with the anti you can feel the braking effect and the impact of the ball -well, let me tell you I have been using it with 0.9 sponge -

Ludeack, on the other hand, will be excellent for spinny serves - I think it is much better than D. Carbon in this department- great at blocking with inverted and anti but for my taste it is much heavier than D. Carbon ( I do not like heavy blades or combos) .
Anyway, both blades are excellent quality and much cheaper than the Carbonado series . You can`t go wrong with any of them .

I understand changing your blade is a bit complicated right now but I am sure you could adapt pretty soon . I have changed blade, pips all in one go . Here I am with a new blade and anti !! . Maybe the safer change might be Deluxe Carbon . As you have rubbers for testing, you can mount one of them with D Carbon or Ludeack and see what happens. As you said with ABS 2 Soft, maybe when you have more time to train, you can make the change to either Ludeack or D. Carbon .

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2019, 00:25 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Def-attack wrote:

Ludeack is 7-ply - all wood . Deluxe Carbon is 5 ply + 2 carbon layers .You can imagine the success of Deluxe Carbon as it is out of stock at tt 11 once again !!!!! Deluxe Carbon is an off - blade ; enough speed, great control . Blocking with inverted is great and with the anti you can feel the braking effect and the impact of the ball -well, let me tell you I have been using it with 0.9 sponge -

Ludeack, on the other hand, will be excellent for spinny serves - I think it is much better than D. Carbon in this department- great at blocking with inverted and anti but for my taste it is much heavier than D. Carbon ( I do not like heavy blades or combos) .
Anyway, both blades are excellent quality and much cheaper than the Carbonado series . You can`t go wrong with any of them .

I understand changing your blade is a bit complicated right now but I am sure you could adapt pretty soon . I have changed blade, pips all in one go . Here I am with a new blade and anti !! . Maybe the safer change might be Deluxe Carbon . As you have rubbers for testing, you can mount one of them with D Carbon or Ludeack and see what happens. As you said with ABS 2 Soft, maybe when you have more time to train, you can make the change to either Ludeack or D. Carbon .

To me it sound like I would not gain much from changing to Ludeack, the carbon layer is rather important to get spin reversal and to have a large sweet spit.

I heard from Amir that De Luxe Carbon is very similar to Revolution, but with a carbon-layer. I used Revolution for a year but when the ABS-ball arrived I could not loop with it, no spin. I think Carbonado 90 is very good for me, perfect balance between stiffness and wood feeling, between low arc at blocks and ability to make spin and arc when looping. Also, it has a large sweet spot and good sped but at the same time good control. I would say it is an off- blade.

If I would change I think it would be to something like The Wall Carbon, a slow blade with lots of control, spin reversal and low throw. But with Diabolic only available in 1.2 mm I don’t need a slower blade :).

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2019, 20:40 
Super User

I have been testing ABS 2 Soft 2,5 mm for hours - will continue to do so - and I must say Def Attack's observations are spot on . Attacking no spin balls excellent and safe .Blocking is quite good and you can even make active blocking unlike the DMS rubbers. This is a bonus as you have more variety in the game and also , the ball sent has a nasty diving no spin on it .

Attacking backspin is phenomenal .I played against a chooper and had fun with his harmless chops being attacked so safely :lol: .Aggressive pushing with a stiff wrist is great as well and I want to emphasize the sense of safety ABS2 soft offers unlike the DMS rubbers .

Unlike Defff attack I had no problems with blocking . Yes, it is easier to block short with DMS rubbers but with ABS 2 Soft you needn't depend on this due to the versatility of the rubber .Maybe, the ball going long is because of the blade? stiffness ? speed? . I used an off - blade . Thibhar Samsonov P. C. and although I could not block as short as with Reflection or Scandal , the effectiveness of the rubber is enough to set up your game .

I think I will keep on using ABS 2 Soft at least against defenders with pips . I have used it against a lp defender as well and the non spin rallies were a winner for me all the time . Maybe, against double inverted I will keep my LP game, either Tm or DG because it is very effective on Deluxe Carbon .

This weekend another tournament to check if am going in the right direction . ;)