OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 03:37 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Now, it seems most people who use anti (or even long pips) decide to focus on that rubber for as many shots as they can. That is, their goal is to return essentially every ball with the "junk" rubber. But as you move up in skill, people get used to handling those balls and can try to 'paddy cake' you off the table. So the junkers must develop some sort of offensive shots to deter that playstyle against them.

From what I can tell, all of the "big names" using anti/short pip combo choose to play with a backhand dominant grip.

If I'm not mistaken, Amir Ahmed (AA on the forum) also mentioned he plays with a BH heavy grip.

I don't know for sure that they never change their grip going from FH to BH, though watching the videos it doesn't appear that they do. Or at least, very minimally. Playing that close to the table doesn't allow much time to be fumbling about. Against slower balls, pop ups, or pushes I'm sure they'd have time to fidget a bit before hitting the stroke.

Sriram seems to play a kind of Joo Se Hyuk style almost... in that he has a big forehand kill, but chooses to use his steady backhand most of the time and pick hits with the forehand when his opponent gets too weak with a ball. Similar to how Joo has a big cannon forehand, yet decides to chop most the time until a juicy opportunity comes his way. Whereas, I want to play a game more reminiscent of Liu Song -- where he uses the big forehand for 85%+ of his shots and only goes to the backhand for a change up.

For my own style, I've been gearing more toward forehand dominance with the pips and only using the anti when my backhand is forced or if I want to change the pace/mess with their spin. Basically kind of a He Zhi Wen/Zhan Jian short pip game mixed with some anti-spin blocking from the backhand side. The only people I see doing that however, appear to be using inverted rubber for forehand attacks.

Is anyone else playing more aggressively with the forehand short pips?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 08:27 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
I would personally say that Sushmit Sriram plays very aggressively with forehand. Check some of his very recent videos (including a win over Robinot) I posted in this forum a few days ago where he does step around a lot to hit his forehand.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 08:13 
Super User

Matt Pimple wrote:
I would personally say that Sushmit Sriram plays very aggressively with forehand. Check some of his very recent videos (including a win over Robinot) I posted in this forum a few days ago where he does step around a lot to hit his forehand.

While I do agree with you that he is more aggressive on the forehand (and one of the reasons I like watching him), he still seems to aim for the backhand the vast majority of the time. From serve receive to 3rd ball, it's usually with his backhand. He has a good forehand and all that, though the ratio of backhand to forehand is still heavily favored toward the anti side.

It probably also depends on who he is playing, of course. He seems content to keep it going to his backhand most times, almost baiting or taunting them to send a ball to his forehand.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2019, 18:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
We can also look at Italian anti-hero Roberto Negro, who returns almost all serves with anti (he twiddles a lot on service recieving) but then uses FH over 80 % of the table.

Luka Mladenovic do not twiddle a lot to use anti on FH, rather to use inverted on BH (but sometimes he gets tricked and has to use anti on FH, sometimes he recieves serves on FH with anti). But he build his game around forcing opponent to a weaker shot or push sonthat he can attack with either FH or BH with inverted side. There are several ways to donthis, most common is to serve heavy backspin to generate a push and then attack the push with his anti. That forces opponent to lift the ball back or make a controlled loop, that Luka can counter.

Amir build most of his game around BH blocking and his special BH attack against back spin. He does not seem to seek a way to get a return that he can use is FH attack on, more like he uses FH to attack occasionally and make sure the opponent avoids it.

Skickat från min Mi A2 Lite via Tapatalk

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019, 01:28 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
@Def-attack: the OP was asking specifically about sp/anti combo
skilless_slapper wrote:
From what I can tell, all of the "big names" using anti/short pip combo choose to play with a backhand dominant grip.
...Is anyone else playing more aggressively with the forehand short pips?

But obviously you are right, the guys you mentioned play very aggressive with inverted an fh and I would put Carlos Muehlbach in the same style.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2019, 02:39 
Super User

Yeah, it seems like all the inverted guys thought... well, I like my forehand but my backhand isnt too good -- so let's slap on something that causes opponents to mess up, and get me back to the forehand.

Whereas the short pip crew was more like -- I love the anti backhand but my forehand isnt too great... what rubber can I use to shut opponents down on that side!? Like amir and amelie, they stay pretty much chained to the table! So inverted isnt really necessary since they never back off. I think sriram could play with the forehand on most all shots and be just about as good, yet still he enjoys the backhand game a lot. Maybe it's less effort? And he doesnt resort to forehand dominance unless the backhand is failing?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2019, 02:34 

Blade: Donic dotec Waldner Ar
FH: Donic Vario
BH: Donic Vario
Hello everyone.
Let me tell my short story. I had been play table tennis approximately for 5 or 6 casual year. My skill is not high and I still consider myself as a begginer. Last time I played tabble tennis at 2012. And now I would like to return.
I have common allround blade. Donic Waldner dotec Ar+, but don't remember exactly its name, and Donic Vario on both side 2.0. My strong side is short game and BH topspin.
And now I understand that I played wrong. I didn't follow to my style and I feel uncomfortable and drop TT. But now I realize that how to play (as I think).
I would like to install antispin because it is funny and looks like very strategy.
But I also would like some advice about it if it possible. I have watched many videos( Luka, Amir etc) and noticed that all antispin players play AS on BH and attack mainly FH(topspin). I have some doubt because I played BH more effectively and strong, and I wouldn't want to lose my best side. What do you think if install AS on FH? Can it be effective or it necessary to play AS on BH.
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 17:04 
Super User

raunijar wrote:
Hello everyone.
Let me tell my short story. I had been play table tennis approximately for 5 or 6 casual year. My skill is not high and I still consider myself as a begginer. Last time I played tabble tennis at 2012. And now I would like to return.
I have common allround blade. Donic Waldner dotec Ar+, but don't remember exactly its name, and Donic Vario on both side 2.0. My strong side is short game and BH topspin.
And now I understand that I played wrong. I didn't follow to my style and I feel uncomfortable and drop TT. But now I realize that how to play (as I think).
I would like to install antispin because it is funny and looks like very strategy.
But I also would like some advice about it if it possible. I have watched many videos( Luka, Amir etc) and noticed that all antispin players play AS on BH and attack mainly FH(topspin). I have some doubt because I played BH more effectively and strong, and I wouldn't want to lose my best side. What do you think if install AS on FH? Can it be effective or it necessary to play AS on BH.
Thanks a lot!

I used to play that style. The forehand is more limited with the wrist angles and such, but if you plan to play mostly backhand it works out fine.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2019, 23:15 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
skilless_slapper wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Amir Ahmed (AA on the forum) also mentioned he plays with a BH heavy grip.

yes that is correct, however i change the grip when i play forehand :)

there however also are players like luka mladenovic who might have more of a forehand grip.