OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 16:09 

Blade: Matador
FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
I have been vasilating between using grippy anti spin and long pips for chopping and hitting, and am curious why there does not seem to be any anti spin pips out rubber. Something with soft, energy absorbing sponge and slightly grippy anti pips out. That would seem to be an interesting combination, but I am not aware of anything like that. Any ideas?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 16:35 

Blade: 729 1060 all raquet
FH: 729
BH: 729
all pips rubber need some friction spin under ittf laws

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019, 19:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I believe Dr Evil is actually an antispin rubber (probably 729 804) turned inside out. As a result it's slow and low grip, but not as low as some the modern antispin rubbers.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019, 05:00 

For me the expression "anti spin pips out rubber" is not something that I can really define.

Since inverted rubber is normally grippy, the term anti spin is normally meant to convey a low friction level.

If we remove the "anti spin" part from your description, and stick with the rest. "Something with soft, energy absorbing sponge and slightly grippy pips", I am sure there are many pips that fit that description. They just don't put "anti spin pips" on the packaging. Due to it's pip geometry, C7 is not not defined on the LARC as a long pip. But, due to it's low friction level, it behaves like one in many cases. In fact many vendors even sell it as a long pip.

With pips other terms are used to describe low friction. Before the rule change there were "Frictionless" long pips. Now lower friction long pips are often described as having "high reversal". Most of the short pips approved for hard bat are low grip, and Dr Evil does not stand out as being less grippy than many of those. I once put thin sponge under Dr Evil and found it was not very weird that way. It played like many lower friction short pips with sponge.

The current LARC (LIST OF AUTHORIZED RACKET COVERINGS) has 233 pips out rubbers, and 193 long pips rubbers. Since many of those come with multiple sponges, the number of possibilities is much larger. Also there are many rubbers made that are not on the LARC. So I think it is safe to say that among those over 400 possibilities, you can find a combination of most every (legal) grip level,sponge hardness, and pip geometry that someone would want. They just wont be calling it "anti spin pips out".

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 10:01 

Blade: Matador
FH: Spinfire 2.1, Black
BH: Diabolic Special 1.0, Red
Thanks for all the replies. I am curious what a rubber would be like if you took something like Neo Anti or Best Anti, removed it from the sponge and reglued with the pips out. Of course that would depend on what the surface of the pips was like, but if it was like the surface of the inverted side, slightly grippy, it might be a fun experiment. Though there is probably something like that out there, I just don't know what it would be. Some slightly grippy short pips on soft, absorbing sponge?

Not enough of an EJ to know what that would be.