OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2019, 05:16 

Goal: give others players more challanges without destroying fun.

For reasons too long to describe, I play at lower-intermediate level, with Stiga Defensive or Allround NCT, slight FH grip, close to the table, and 2-3 hours a week, about one match; mostly hit/block and other practice. With some footwork, but no twiddling (physical limitations).

My Grass DTech OX on BH keeps the paddle weight low and is used for serve return. With loops I can chop-block or side-block (Koki Niwa style) sometimes, but many times just have time to stick my paddle in. The ball flies high (due to my FH grip, the paddle is open on BH) and gets killed most of the time (some still miss due to backspin). With pushes and other softer shots on my BH, I got enough experience to push or chop it back low, but no side-sweep works yet, or fast push like Pushblocker.

I consider getting a couch to learn more aggresive shots against slow balls to my BH, but wonder if a slick anti will improve my blocking without change of style or any minuses other than increase in paddle weight. And which anti to use - a durable one if possible.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2019, 08:42 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Frictionless anti can use a bit more open paddle angle, but the rubbers are quite a bit slower. Meaning if you don't have a faster punch-hit from the backhand, people will no doubt send floaters your way which you will most likely pop up and be killed after... I think easiest might be shifting your grip to a little more neutral position and doing flatter blocks, to at least keep the ball low.