OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 19:45 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
peterpong wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
What makes you think I don't? :)

Blade: Barna Winner
FH: Yinhe Jupiter II max
BH: Barna SuperGlanti 1,2
Just looked :headbang:
up the irons.

:D
But actually, I tried Stiga Legacy Carbon yesterday for a full session. Very nice, similar to PAlio TCT but more control and feeling. I used it wth 0.8 Barna SG. I have not been able to find my FH attack with the Winner-blade for some reason. I am not sure why. With Legacy it is soooo easy to loop or smash back a loop. And the speed is great. Also easy to block with since it is very stiff. Serving and pushing i s ok, but I used a soft Hurricane 3 Neo (37 degrees), very grippy/tacky. I may keep this blade through the next lague matches next weekend.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 20:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
^^I know the feeling .its difficult to find the right blade for f/h and anti.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 21:34 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I highly recommend the DerMaterialspezialist Deluxe Carbon blade. Outstanding for anti reversal, and on the forehand all it takes is a compact stroke to have powerful loops. Also very stable for forehand blocking.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 21:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I have that blade and I have used it a lot. But I am very picky when it comes to finding a blade that suits my FH. Also, spin reversal with Deluxe Carbon was not as good as with Winner when using SuperGlanti.

But yesterday I also tried a new combo, based on Guidos suggestions for Marcus. SuperGlanti Attack on Terror. That was very interesting. Probably the highest spin reversal so far (when I hit the sweet spot of the blade), but also very fast. Tricky but funny.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 05:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Now that I'm through a couple of tournaments, I've been doing a little testing of Storkraft in 1.6 mm sponge. I've been using it in 0.8 for almost a year now. I wanted to see how much slower it really was, and how much of a reversal loss there is. Testing was done with both versions on a DMS Deluxe Carbon blade and MX-P 1.9 mm on the forehand.

When I first tried it using the robot, I could tell that the thicker was obviously slower, but I couldn't tell how much of the spin reversal I was using.

Tested today with my coach and we were surprised to see that any loss of reversal was minimal. With the slower speed, it was very rare for me to block a loop too long. In fact, I was missing more short than long. Overall, it was interesting it could take even the hardest shot would be close to double bounced on his side. I had to adjust my technique a bit, it was extremely important to go into the ball on pretty much every loop to get it over the net. Any type of passive stroke or one that had any kind of "skim" of the ball (rather than a solid bump) did not work.

His advice was to switch to the 1.6. He felt the reversal was still excellent, and the ability to have those hard shots come off a little shorter makes the blocks even more effective. You'd absolutely need a very stiff, fast blade for this to work.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 06:12 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

How do you find the durability? I’ve not seen any change so far but then I’ve probably only had 10 hours of play and I’ve used their cleaner after each day. But I’ve read in noppen test about durability issues where the rubber gains grip.

Ps I’m also loving it. Although it took time and I’m still improving, I have a much closer feel to the original FLPs and loop returns are so nasty. I think this has way more awkward potential than dtecs so just now hoping it keeps on condition over time.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 14:13 

Blade: Darker Imperial 2020
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 1.8
BH: Storkraft 1.6 Antispin
dwruck wrote:

His advice was to switch to the 1.6. He felt the reversal was still excellent, and the ability to have those hard shots come off a little shorter makes the blocks even more effective. You'd absolutely need a very stiff, fast blade for this to work.

One thing I really like about the Storkraft .8, is that it feels very similar to Grass D.TecS OX to me when doing an aggressive bump against underspin. How did you find this shot with the 1.6 compared to the .8? It almost sounds like the 1.6 Storkraft is closer to the Scandal .9. I like the idea of better control against aggressive loops, but would hate to lose the fast bump which is a big part of my game.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 23:36 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

You might want to stick with the thinner sponge if you like that shot. Everything with the 1.6 is very slow. That is why I am still thinking about whether I want to switch or not, an aggressive bump would not be possible, I don't think. On the other hand, having that nasty reversal and keeping the ball just a little shorter, there is also value in that.

I have started to consider two different setups. One against loopers with the thicker, slower Storkraft and one against other defensive players with either the thinner Storkraft or the Yasaka Trick Anti. That is more of a traditional anti, but it has excellent attacking properties.

Regarding how long it lasts. I never noticed a drop off in performance. But after about 5 months I damaged the rubber while playing and put a new sheet on, and right away I could make out a difference in performance. The newer sheet was a little more difficult to control at first, but it was also giving more reversal according to my playing partners. What I may do is put it on a schedule to switch it out every 6 months, depending on how much I'm playing, whether I feel like it needs it or not. And yes, I do use their special "cleaner".

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 23:47 

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Shakehand
FH: Stiga Calibra LT
BH: Grass D’TecS OX
dwruck wrote:
I have started to consider two different setups. One against loopers with the thicker, slower Storkraft and one against other defensive players with either the thinner Storkraft or the Yasaka Trick Anti. That is more of a traditional anti, but it has excellent attacking properties.

I ordered a sheet of the 1.6 last night and will try it out. I actually have 3 identical blades, so I could keep the .9 on one, and the 1.6 on another. I like the idea of a really short return on power loops, but think if I counted the number of times in a match I need to do that, compared to how many times I’ll aggressively bump a return (such as off of their serve), I think I bump a lot more. Although I am still having to fight the tendency to chop block, I really like that with the .9 the goal is to have in most cases for blocking a blade as still as possible. Anyway, will give it a try, and I may end up also having the two different setups…

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 23:59 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I am still working on the same thing, after decades of long pips use and chop blocking, it is a long process to having a more "still" wrist and making more solid contact with the ball.

From a tactical perspective, there are different ways you could approach using the thin sponge (or a faster anti) vs the super slow thick sponge. And, I will say, from experience it seems to me it depends on level of player. The slower and more reversal you can get against higher level players, the better. But against lower level players that don't generate the same pace and spin, it can be a little struggle.

Anyway, yes, the thinner sponge would definitely be more effective if you like to do quick bumps that go deep. That can be a very effective strategy, move them around and then bump deep while they are out of position.

With the slower, thicker sponge, from a tactical perspective you wouldn't have that same advantage, but what you would have is the advantage of being able to drop just about any shot really short. Most decent players that have half a brain will start to serve deep fast balls with little spin, looking for the third ball attack. What I've found most effective is taking those fast deep serves and dropping them short, so they don't get the deep third ball attack they are looking for.

I honestly think either strategy is effective; it's just a matter of what you find works best for you. It's definitely worth testing out, and perhaps keeping 2 similar but slightly different setups on hand for different players.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2021, 09:01 

dwruck wrote:
I honestly think either strategy is effective; it's just a matter of what you find works best for you. It's definitely worth testing out, and perhaps keeping 2 similar but slightly different setups on hand for different players.

So I got in the 1.6 Storkfraft, and got to play with it for 3 hours today. It is insane the difference in speed between the 1.6 and the .8. When my opponent did a medium paced loop, there was no way my return would clear the net if I just blocked it with a still hand. I had to have a forward motion to get it to clear the net. This was really good for power loops where it was easy to keep all of them on the table, regardless of how hard they were hit. I have a tournament in 10 days, and think I'll use the 1.6. I tried the backhand 'drive' for returning a backspin shot, but think that because the rubber is so slow, I'll probably get killed by a decent level player using it. It's just so slow. Maybe using it once or twice in a match where it looks like it is going to be a really fast backhand drive and then has no pace might throw them off. More than that, and I think they'll jump all over it and make me eat it.

At this time I'm not sure how easy it would be to have the two different setups and use each of them at different times. There is such a difference in how they play it might be really challenging with the touch and feeling, especially to be able to consistantly drop shops just over the net, when alternating between the two rubbers.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2021, 23:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Sounds like you've found the same thing that I did in my early days of testing the thicker sponge. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes in the tournament!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2021, 05:17 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

Thanks for the info on how well it lasts over time.
I'm using the 1.2 sponge - have you considered that as best of both worlds. I'm struggling to imagine how slow the 1.6 must be because I've never played with anything deader than what I have.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2021, 22:43 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I did consider the 1.2, but then I thought, if I wanted to test a difference, it would be most obvious between the most thick and most thin. If the 1.2 is working for you, then definitely stick with it! I'd be curious to hear from anyone who's used the 1.2 and either the thin version or the thick version, how much of a difference is there?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021, 00:13 

Has anyone had issues with the top sheet of Storkraft delaminating from the sponge? I have less than 10hrs on my .8, and it is delaminating all along the bottom by the handle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next