OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 00:01 

Blade: Nittaku Violin
FH: Joola Energy
BH: ???
Dear All, Before the ban I was playing with Hallmark Original Red version on my backhand. To cut a long story short I became disenchanted with what replacements were available for a blocking close to the table game back in 2008/09 and I quit. I came back briefly in 2013 with Spinlord Dorgenglandz, but that was not really a replacement because it had friction. Indeed to pass it has to:-)

Now fast forward to 2021 and I am seeing a lot of seemingly very good anti spin options for this style of play. Particularly from DMS. One that looks very interesting is DMS Scandal because with the videos on YouTube it seems to have high reversal and drops the ball short much like my beloved Hallmark Original.

Now of course I cannot expect the same reversal as HMO with any of these antis obviously because long pips bend and have spacing. This in addition the the fact that HMO was like table hockey in terms of friction.

My questions are if HMO in terms of spin reversal was a 10 what is DMS Scandal and if HMO in terms of speed was a 1 what is DMS Scandal?

Of course there is that other matter of the plastic ball.....

Thank you guys for your honest feedback.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 01:23 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
I played with DMS Scandal, DMS Störkraft, Barna Super Glanti (Barna is the same brand as DMS, just the name is different), Dr. Neubauer ABS2, ABS2 Evo, Spinlab Vortex...

If you're looking for the best spin reversal, it's Super Glanti (in 0.8mm). Keep in mind that it is quite fast, so if you're playing with an off blade, you need to go for the 1.2mm version. Not too far behind is DMS Strörkraft. The thinnest the sponge, the better the spin reversal. The blade is also important. Some blades have great spin reversal, others kill the spin reversal.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 04:36 

Thank you for the advice. So would the nittaku violin be a suitable option for such a rubber? It worked well with Grass Dtechs. And if the likes of Dr Neubauer Super Block and Hallmark Original were a 10 in spin reversal on passive blocks what would Super Glanti be?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 19:45 
Super User

Never tested it myself, but I heard it may be a good combo thanks to the low throw and hard outer ply of the violin. Remember to seal the blade before gluing a slick anti to it.

Never tested the slick long pimple so I can't tell you.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 22:21 

Thank you for your advice and as those slick LPs have been dead and buried for 13 years I wonder if anyone even remembers what it was like :devil: .....

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 00:10 

HMO Replacer wrote:
Thank you for your advice and as those slick LPs have been dead and buried for 13 years I wonder if anyone even remembers what it was like :devil: .....

I still play with Dr Neubauer Super Block :-) and also have dr Neubauer Scalpel. Compared to fl antis everything is better - lower throw, better control, more reversal, as pips breaks in it is getting even better, unlike the fl antis which gets worse with use.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 00:43 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
HMO Replacer wrote:
I have a friend who used to play with Super Block and now he uses Barna SuperGlanti. He also tested Dr Neubaer new SuperBlock before ITTF told them not to sell it, with the new ABS-ball. He plays at a high level (you can see him facing Ibrahim Diaw in the promotion video at Barna website). He says frictioless long pimple have many advantages over glanti, like attacking back spin, handeling no spin etc. But pure spin reversal is better with a fresh SuperGlanti than any frictionless long pimple rubber, especially when taking the new ball with little rotation into the equation. I have to take his word for it, I never tried frictionless long pimple.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 07:50 
Super User

A little bit off topic but how often does he change his Super Glanti ?

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 18:55 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Rinforzando wrote:
A little bit off topic but how often does he change his Super Glanti ?
I believe he uses a fresh sheet for every team match weekend (2 singles and one double on one team match, two team matches over one weekend). But sometimes he changes equipment during a team match, so he has a few different blades to choose from, with the same rubbers. Then he uses the used sheets for practice and put on fresh ones before matches or conpetitions. So he changes every month or so.