OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dr. Neubauer A-B-S 2 Pro
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 19:56 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
Officially available !
https://www.drneubauer.com/shop.php?cat ... =&prod=160

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 22:53 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Great! but don`t believe the word Pro means anything special in the rubber :lol: .

It seems the lucrative market is now in the flanti rubbers ....

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2021, 23:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Just got a sheet of this yesterday. Need to put this on my Deluxe Carbon blade and give it a try. Sponge seems soft, it's a dark grey colored sponge that I haven't seen before.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 19:48 
Super User

Waiting for your review dwruck !

I started playing with it ~ 2 weeks ago and got the opportunity to do some league matches in addition to my regular train session.

It's a very peculiar rubber. Definitely an upgrade of the A-B-S 2 Evo, at least the same control, a tad more speed and a little more spin reversal.

But spin reversal is still inferior to Super Glanti or Störkraft... One day I need to do a head to head test to see what's the pros and cons of each rubber.

It's still a great rubber I've been able to beat a 1200 player (french rating) in the team championship and finished first in the local individual championship with a perfect run of 8 victories beating players rated between 650 and 850.

Recently I found that if I blocked out of the bounce early as possible without moving the bat and with a loose wrist I was able to get a very short and low block which was very toxic.

I'll play with it this Saturday for the team championship, level between 1000 and 1600.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2021, 05:26 

Blade: Neub. Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 2.0
BH: Dr Neub Desperado OX
Dr Neubauer ABS2 PRO:

Test ABS2 PRO 2.0 black on Dr Neubauer Matador Texa Carbon.

Short review: i will compare it with the ABS 2 EVO 2.1 black on Matador Texa Carbon:

- Better reversal than ABS 2 EVO in general
- Blocking active and passive can be done like the discription said: blocking passive with more reversal than ABS2 EVO,
lenght is more or less the same. I’m not out of here yet, it is a close call.
- Better attacking possibilities than ABS 2 EVO
- Control is more or less the same:, but if I have to choose, i choose the EVO version for little better control
- ABS2 PRO version is faster in general: I liked the more attacking possibilities,
that was the most important update for me. (As well with the slightly better reversal )

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2021, 23:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I've had a couple of sessions with it on the robot. Like with the other versions of ABS, it is different from the DMS rubbers. It was faster than I expected, but that being said, it was controllable. I had to adjust my technique, as with DMS rubbers I need to push the racquet forward, while with ABS2 Pro a steady, passive hand with a light grip was best against heavy pace/spin. Obviously compared to the DMS rubbers this one is "fast". And it struck me as being a little faster than the previous versions of ABS and ABS2. That being said, I didn't feel that the control was bad. Most shots I was able to return towards the edge of the table. Against slower top spin, it is possible to drop the ball for a double bounce on the other side, but with this rubber you aren't going to get many where you drop it very short over the net. Reversal did seem better than the previous versions of ABS and ABS2. Attacking was also very good. The thing this rubber has going for it is, at least for me on the Deluxe Carbon blade, the throw was very low. Both when defending and attacking, the ball was like a line drive staying low and relatively fast.
I have a session scheduled with my coach on Wednesday where I will try it out. At that point I'll feel more confident about my overall feedback.

What I'm starting to really understand is that, so far, with frictionless anti there are two different styles you can play. One is with DMS style rubbers where the goal is to get the maximum reversal and slow speed to set up an attack, whether that be a twiddle or step around. The other is a Dr Neubauer style where the goal is control, surprise the opponent with speed and give yourself some offensive capabilities. You'd still want to look to twiddle or step around with this style. However, you likely won't get as many "free" points from the rubber's effects. Classic trade-off. From a philosophical standpoint, I'm not sure which style best suits me yet. As I'm getting older, I lean towards the more defensive style, but I'm going to give a little try to both and see where I land.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 04:22 
Super User

This rubber isn't for me. I played too much time with the dms rubbers, and my gesture is adapted to them. I can see the pros with this rubber, in particular in the offensive side but I'm not ready to trade the loss of spin reversal for better attacking possibilities.

I will stick with my Super Glanti

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2021, 04:55 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I suspect that I will end up making the same determination. Having that spin reversal and ability to counter hard serves by being able to drop them short is something I really like about the DMS rubbers, and when playing good attackers I think I will find that most useful. But, I'm keeping an open mind for now. :)

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 07:30 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Had a session with my coach today, so first time hitting with another person. He also tried the rubber. The positive, as I've noted in earlier impressions, is it has a nice low angle and attacks well. To get an idea of the type of spin reversal it got, I looped into my coach, who was using the ABS2 Pro. Its behavior was similar to the other ABS2 versions, where there was a slight amount of back spin (maybe slightly more than the others) but in general the ball came back dead. If I missed a ball it was because of the pace or depth, not because of the reversal.
If you like the DMS rubber type because of the reversal, this one isn't for you. If you prefer the Dr Neubauer type of slick anti spin rubbers, it would be worth a shot, especially if you are looking for an increase in attacking possibilities.
In the long term I'm going to try this on a slower blade, to see if it performs differently.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 07:49 
Super User

I'm still amazed to see the backspin Luka Mladenovic can get with his ABS2 2.5mm combined to his Matador. Great blade, but not the best in the spin reversal department. My guess is at pro level, despite the fact ABS kills a lot of the spin they put so much spin on their topspin that there is still great spin reversal forcing them to make an error on the second topspin.

I found ABS2 Pro has the lowest throw against all glanti available on the market. What kill the spin is the thick sponge, when you receive a hard topspin the ball goes deep into the sponge killing a lot of the spin. But if you use a thin sponge, then the ball will reach the wood too easily because of the short pimple topsheet thus providing bad control.

If an ABS 3 comes out, I hope it will have very long pimple, same topsheet as ABS2 Pro (maximum authorized by ittf) with a very thin sponge, then it may be better than DMS/Barna glanti in terms of spin reversal.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 18:52 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
All updates about durability are welcome btw.

Want to know if you can easily get 6 months life out of this one :up:

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 20:06 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 190
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z2
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS
Rinforzando wrote:
If an ABS 3 comes out, I hope it will have very long pimple, same topsheet as ABS2 Pro (maximum authorized by ittf) with a very thin sponge, then it may be better than DMS/Barna glanti in terms of spin reversal.

You can always substitute the original sponge with others, like i do. In this way you can find the perfect combination for you. ;)
If you buy 5 different Spinlab sponges it's like having 5 new anti combo to test, at the same price of a new rubber.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2021, 23:34 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm guessing that with the harder sponge and the type of rubber it is, it would last 6 months. Some of the other Dr N slick anti had sponges that felt like they would break down over time. This one is hard enough that I don't think it will.
I am actually thinking of doing just that, trying the Dr N topsheet with a different sponge. I have the thin sponge from DMS Storkraft that came separated from a sheet of the rubber when I removed it from the blade, if I can figure out an easy way to separate the ABS2 Pro from its sponge I think I'll give this a try.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 04:40 

Today i tried for the first time abs2 Pro and for me is the best flanti i ever tried.
Pretty good reversal, perfect on attacking thanks to his hard sponge, good control on block (u can Easy decide to block short or deep) and on serve receive.
Tried on normal Matador, previously i played with abs2, vortex and storekraft.
In my opinion best anti for an Active game on the table.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 04:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Hmmm you've inspired me to try it out on a Matador and see how I like it there. Maybe the slower blade would be better for it.