OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2022, 17:46 

I am reasonably sure that any AntiSpin rubber does not reverse top spin to back spin or back spin to top spin.
If a smooth rubber creates any significant spin reversal it is not an “anti" rubber. It is a spinny inverted rubber.
Keep in mind, the original name is anti top spin

I agree that an anti spin rubber can produce some spin reversal if a traditional chop stroke is used but this spin reversal , I don’t think anywhere close to long pips or spinny inverted or even a spinny short pips rubber.

I think spin reversal with anti (in the blocking mode……I think this is what most anti players do & not chop most of the time) is just a huge marketing BS gimmick.

If you block your opponent’s loop with anti, the ball drops dead on the other side & if your opponent does not adjust and lift the ball up it goes into the bottom of the net. It looks the ball had lots of back spin & people think that is why it went into the net. Most attacking loopers are muscle memory tuned to lifting a chop coming from a spinny inverted or even a long pips but not to a ball returned with anti.

Of course I am open to being proven wrong. To me the only way to do this is to test this in a lab with a soccer type ball. I would like Player A to loop hard maximum top spin & player B block it with the most crazy (supposedly with most spin reversal) anti. If you make a video of this exchange and study it in slow motion I am sure you can see the ball is (back) spinning HEAVILY or has no spin. If it has no spin you should be able to see the color segments on the ball easily. But if it has heavy spin , you won’t be able to distinguish color segments.

I am sure this had been done in many manufacturers labs . But I would like to see video proof of spin reversal.
But I think an anti in blocking mode produces only “spin removal” not “spin reversal” & not even “spin continuation” (just returning existing spin). I think the topspin gets removed.
This is why I get annoyed when all these blockers talk about spin reversal with anti.

I know I know , you ask why don’t I make such a video myself. I could & it is not that hard but there may be other far superior videos already (starting from 60 or so years ago when anto spin rubbers first arrived on the scene). I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2022, 22:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Look at this video I made a few years ago. Look at 3.25 into the film. These are not the best antis for blocking, but when blocking top spin the return carries lots of back spin (the ball turns on the other side of the table and rolls back to the net). The first two balls I block with the black side, ordinary rubbers, and you can see the amount of top spin.
https://youtu.be/z-WvWKYMX5k

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 00:49 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
I just want to add that flantis are ok for the intermediate player.Once you increase the level and face harder opponents,flantis are just as good as lps or imo worse as they limit your game .

With this new ball any defensive rubber loses strength.Investing so much time and money in flantis is not worth..... ,rather, LPs offer a more variety of strokes and are far cheaper.Besides, flantis have poor durability....

The so called spin reversal is a gimmick so you buy and get on the road of investing hundreds of dollars,euros etc....pure spin reversal fades away as the rubber ages..... some pros use a special liquid before the games to make the rubbers slick.......your flanti will never work as well as the pros or semi pros..... do not get fooled.....

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 06:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Sami wrote:
I just want to add that flantis are ok for the intermediate player.Once you increase the level and face harder opponents,flantis are just as good as lps or imo worse as they limit your game .

With this new ball any defensive rubber loses strength.Investing so much time and money in flantis is not worth..... ,rather, LPs offer a more variety of strokes and are far cheaper.Besides, flantis have poor durability....

The so called spin reversal is a gimmick so you buy and get on the road of investing hundreds of dollars,euros etc....pure spin reversal fades away as the rubber ages..... some pros use a special liquid before the games to make the rubbers slick.......your flanti will never work as well as the pros or semi pros..... do not get fooled.....
Are you sure that you know what you are talking about? Yes the fantis get worse over time, and pros are sponsored and can afford to buy new more often. Other than that the situations are the same for me (not very high level) as for my trainer/friend seen in this video: https://youtu.be/J9VTJxdOfgc
He is just a far better table tennis player than I am (he beat Japan's Satoshi Aida about 2 years ago).
Sure there are ways to improve the slickness but that will most likely be detected by the umpire. So a lower class player probably has lower risk of getting caught using such improvements.

If you want to se more spin reversal at high level, look at Amelie Solja playing against Swedens 2nd best player Christina Källberg at the ITTF in Germany last week. Or look at this match: https://youtu.be/jUuhFBqsur4

If you don't get any spin reversal yourself you either have a bad combinqtion of anti and blade (some blades kills the spin), a bad anti, bad technique or your opponent does not generate much spin.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 20:18 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
don't forget that at a lower level, players tend to put not so much spin in their loops, that's why you don't see crazy spin reversal like the one you see on promotional video with pros

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 23:01 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Rinforzado has made an important point. The frictionless antis are more effective against intermediate and higher level players than against low level players that can't spin the ball as much and don't put as much pace on the ball.

I played with long pips for close to 20 years before trying the frictionless antis. I can say without question, especially with the new ball, the amount of spin reversal is significantly higher than with any long pip today. That isn't to say that long pips don't have some advantages to the antis. That's just to say that, if you are looking to block at the table and generate the best spin reversal, there is no question in my mind that the frictionless anti is the best option.

I never used the old frictionless pips, so I can't compare to those. I always liked the more grippy pips.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 23:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes, you can pleasantly revel in playing with frictionless anti'es without being penalised. It is not the case with pimpled rubbers. We got now a device to detect unduly slicky pimples

Be happy.

Last edited by igorponger on 01 Feb 2022, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 23:55 

Please, do not misunderstand me.Antis have their place in the game , of course.The point is : for the benefits the anti gives you it is better to use a pip that can guarantee you a great fh game..... you can never live on the spin reversal generated by the flanti and the errors by the opponent.

Lower levels ok,.... once you find intelligent, skilled players, the anti does not give you as much advantage as a good pip

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 02:50 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Sami wrote:
Please, do not misunderstand me.Antis have their place in the game , of course.The point is : for the benefits the anti gives you it is better to use a pip that can guarantee you a great fh game..... you can never live on the spin reversal generated by the flanti and the errors by the opponent.

Lower levels ok,.... once you find intelligent, skilled players, the anti does not give you as much advantage as a good pip
Well, of course you need a good FH, that goes for any style. Nevertheless, you can just as well as with pips use flanti on a higher level. It is just not as common, perhaps because is more difficult, especially for attacking?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 02:54 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Def-attack wrote:
Sami wrote:

Well, of course you need a good FH, that goes for any style. Nevertheless, you can just as well as with pips use flanti on a higher level. It is just not as common, perhaps because is more difficult, especially for attacking?

This is also something I don't understand or perhaps I'm very unaware. I thought there are more successful people higher up in lvl with glanti than LPs OX.....or am I that unaware of more LPs players

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 05:31 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Outside of the top 100, it seems to be a fairly open playing field. Women's top 100 have manika (LP) and solja (anti). Others might dip a toe into the top 100, but overall those are the only 2 who stay up there playing a blocking game. And to be honest, I don't know amelie stays up there... not to insult her at all, but objectively speaking, she is rather portly -- not overly quick and has a less than versatile forehand compared to other top 100 players. Deadly at what it does, however. So it's really to her credit that she manages to stay there! I watched a game recently where she lost to #97 lupulesku.

I couldn't find the game Def-attack mentioned vs the Swedish gal. Got tired of sorting through 50 hours of wtt videos :lol: :headbang:

For men... only long pip players in the top 100 are choppers. Anti users? No! Might even have to leave the top 200 before seeing any blockers with either anti or LP.

All that aside, to me it's always seemed silly when comparing pro level players vs amateurs -- and probably not even high ranked amateurs!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 05:59 

I do agree with both DA and SK_SL.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 13:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

igorponger wrote:
Yes, you can pleasantly revel in playing with frictionless anti'es without being penalised. And this is not the case with pimpled rubbers. We got now a device to detect unduly slicky pimples

Be happy.

Glassy pimples? No, thank you ...
Yes, so far you can pleasantly revel in playing with those glassy anti-rubbers without being penalised. And this is not the case with pimpled rubbers. There are ITTF technical restrictions on the use of low-friction pimples CoF <0.5. Those glassy pimples are now prohibited from tournament play anywhere. Thankfully, we got now a device to detect unduly slicky pimples. You need no specific skills to operate this device whether at club's or national's.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2022, 23:59 

Igor, could you please tell us when you will be able to manufacture a device that can succesfully test a boosted rubber?

Haifu booster, the best in the world, is adored by the Chinese NT.Haifu is so intelligent that they were able to maintain the levels of the booster under the specified parameters.

Stop with this ridiculous pip persecution and deal with the REAL DEAL : 80% ,AT LEAST, of pros and let alone amateurs boost their rubber illegally.PERIOD.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2022, 14:46 

Blade: donic carbospeed
FH: D- Bluefire m1 turbo max
BH: D- Bluefire m1 turbo max
skilless_slapper wrote:
Outside of the top 100, it seems to be a fairly open playing field. Women's top 100 have manika (LP) and solja (anti). Others might dip a toe into the top 100, but overall those are the only 2 who stay up there playing a blocking game. And to be honest, I don't know amelie stays up there... not to insult her at all, but objectively speaking, she is rather portly -- not overly quick and has a less than versatile forehand compared to other top 100 players. Deadly at what it does, however. So it's really to her credit that she manages to stay there! I watched a game recently where she lost to #97 lupulesku.

I couldn't find the game Def-attack mentioned vs the Swedish gal. Got tired of sorting through 50 hours of wtt videos :lol: :headbang:

For men... only long pip players in the top 100 are choppers. Anti users? No! Might even have to leave the top 200 before seeing any blockers with either anti or LP.

All that aside, to me it's always seemed silly when comparing pro level players vs amateurs -- and probably not even high ranked amateurs!

Luka Mladenovic was promising rising star at some point but have never made it to top 100 if i am not mistaken. He is pretty enjoyable to watch and beat the Greek chopper Panagionis (sorry for mispelling) . Another one was a kid that plays for Luxemburg I forgot his name. Carlos Muhlbach is also nice to watch though they are way off from the top. In ladies I think Camille from Italy is also a prominent rising anti player as well.