OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Dr. Neubauer ABS 3
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2022, 20:37 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
Hi everyone !

I had the opportunity to test the ABS 3 before its release, here is my review.

Appearance

The topsheet is very similar to ABS 2 Pro, very hard and slick, with very short pimples underneath. The sponge is blue, it's a totally new sponge, very different from all the other sponges from the ABS series. It's quite soft, yet compact with very strong dampening properties. Compared to the red sponge or yellow sponge from DMS Störkraft/Barna Super Glanti, It's a bit harder but much more compact. Sponge is 2.0mm thickness.

Gameplay

ABS series became faster and faster over the time, first with ABS 2 Evo, then with ABS 2 pro. This new ABS 3 doesn't follow the trend. It's very slow, by far the slowest of the series. Fast and heavy topspin can be blocked easily with a flat trajectory. Compared to ABS 2 Pro, the trajectory is a least as flat, but it's obviously safe to block heavy loops with it. What about the spin reversal ? It's good. It seems to be a little bit better than with ABS 2 Pro, especially when you succesfully block a loop and manage to remove all the speed of it. The ball coming back to the opponent is slow and loaded with backspin. Very hard to loop again. I need more test in this area, but at the moment I'd rate it like that (left best spin reversal): Super Glanti>Störkraft>=ABS 3>ABS 2 Pro. Very close between the 3, with a larger gap with the ABS 2 Pro. Regarding the 2 bounces block, it's easier to do than with the SG/Störkraft (in the thinnest sponge) or ABS 2 Pro. For the attacking capabilities, it's still good, thanks to the compact sponge. Not as good as ABS 2 Pro because it is slower, but there is still the possibility to put the pressure on the opponent with a side-swipe. Coming from DMS/Barna glanties, I still need a lot of adjustment in this department, because the feel, touch are not the same, and when doing side-swipe the throw angle seems very very low compared to Störkraft/SG so I'm still making a lot of unforced errors.

ABS 3 was glued to a Gerry Goriki Danshi, I'll test it with a more rigid blade in the next days to see if there's any improvement.

Attachments:
Dr. Neubauer ABS 3.jpg
Dr. Neubauer ABS 3.jpg [ 72.21 KiB | Viewed 7421 times ]

BH - Slick antispin

Post subject: Re: Dr. Neubauer ABS 3
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 03:18 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
As Rinforzando I also had a chance to test the new ABS3 in 2.0 recently and my general findings match his but I'll describe in my point of view below. I initially tested it on my old Stiga ALL blade (All+ to Off-) on which I normally play the ABS2 Evo in 2.3 since its release. I can make comparisons to ABS2 Evo and ABS2 Pro which I also tested recently but I have not tested any of the MSP antis. Here my impressions:

- ABS3 is significantly slower and little bit softer than Evo due to the softer sponge
- control is higher than Evo
- throw is lower than Evo and required a little bit of blade angle adjustments; throw is similar to Pro
- Reversal is higher than Evo; this was confirmed by my standard practice partner who knows my game and antis very well
- much easier to block than with Evo
- attacking was initially not as good since the ABS3 is slower but it seems you can go more aggressively into the ball with more margin so I think there is actually more potential here but needs to be trained more; Pro is still the king for pure attacking though
- the slower speed of the ABS3 prompted me to test it on a faster blade as well and I picked my old OSP Ultimate (7 ply Off all-wood blade); it's a good combo in terms of speed and provides more disruptive effect but I need to practice more with that combo

speed: ABS3<Evo< Pro
control: ABS3>Evo>Pro
throw: ABS3=Pro<Evo
reversal: ABS3>Evo>Pro

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 21:00 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
I also had the chance to try it. For me it a bit of a different story. I come from inverted rubbers. Last summer i tried to switch to anti with abs 2 2.1. But had a hard time adjusting. So i abondend the idea. This summer i got a chance to try the abs 3 to make the transition.

In the beginning it was difficult for me. I had a hard time controlling blocks and pushes. Balls would pop up or not clear the net. After a few weeks of adjusting it became a lot easier to control. For me it´s easier then the abs 2 I tried.

I tried it on a matador texa carbon. It is very good for the anti, but i didn´t like it for my FH. So i changed to a custom blade with with outer koto for anti and innerforce hinoki for FH. First tests are promising. But i´ll need some more practicing. The outer alc koto gives the anti a bit more speed. It´s a bit easier for blocking. Reversal is still fine. I yet have to meet the player who has a decent topspin and can loop two times in a row. Blocks are very difficult for opponent. Players who use less spin are more difficult for me. But i can twiddle and i have a very FH attack.

Attacking with it is done by sideswiping in both directions and gives the ball a very nasty trajectory. It´s slow though so the opponent has time to react. You can use the sidespin of opponent to do crazy stuff. I use it to set up my own attack.

i´m keeping it and will play competition with it. I´ve won against opponents i´ve never beaten before in practice. So i´m sure it will be a fun year.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2022, 23:19 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I will also add a little here, as I had a chance to test it out as well. What has already been well said by others in comparison to the other Dr N slick antis is pretty much spot on. Still excellent control, definitely slower than the other Dr N slick antis thanks to the sponge. Matt Pimple makes an excellent point about attacking with it. While you will not overpower your opponent, you can hit it more aggressively due to the slower speed. I use the DMS Deluxe Carbon blade and I could still be aggressive with the hits without losing control.
I will compare a little to Storkraft 1.6mm sponge version, as that is what I have trained with for the past year.
In terms of reversal, Storkraft is still king. Storkraft 1.6mm is also slower than ABS3 2.0 sponge. That being said, I feel like I had more margin for error with the ABS3, both on blocking and when attacking.
Based on the blade I use and style I play, ABS3 is, in my opinion, the best Dr N slick anti available. I can double bounce the ball and get good reversal on it. Again, probably not as short and not as much reversal as Storkraft, but still good and with more consistency.
I've barely played over the summer (golf season!) but heading into the fall I think I might continue to compare results between Storkraft and ABS3. I need to figure out what suits me best with the various trade-offs of spin reversal vs speed vs consistency for my style.
Thanks go out to Carsten for giving us the opportunity to test and provide feedback. I am impressed by their commitment to the customer, and not just the elite player but also average players like me. :clap:

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 23:12 

Is there someone who can compare to the ABS 2 pro?

I bought it on accident. But afraid to try it. I´m a very offensive player by nature. Sometimes putting on pressure feels hard with ABS 3

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 23:46 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

ABS2 Pro is much faster in my opinion. ABS2 Pro does not have as much "effect" also. The Pro really is for someone looking to be aggressive and attack. ABS3 is for a more traditional slick anti defense game (with a little offense) on the backhand. This is, in my humble opinion of course.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2022, 02:40 
Super User

Carels wrote:
Is there someone who can compare to the ABS 2 pro?

If you look at my report above you can see the comparison! ;)
As dwruck already pointed out the Pro is MUCH faster than the ABS3 and the new blue sponge also is lot more dampening so you can block even hard loops fairly short. The reversal is also much better with the ABS3 and both a very similar in their low bounce.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2022, 18:35 

I couldn´t resist and glued an ABS 2 pro i had orderd on accident to my backup blade.

It´s indeed much much faster. Way easier to attack and serve with. Revearsal seems less, but i still could get some good blocks and easy points with it. Control felt good for me. But on heavy backspin I had more balls popping up. You have to be better with the blade angle. It´s less forgiving in my opinion.

I´m going to explore it some more but it´s more in the line of my playstyle.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2022, 01:28 

I bought ABS 3 from Dr. Neubauer store few days ago. When it arrive i will compare it with Storcraft 1.6 that is my actualy main anti. In the past i tried also ABS 2 Pro but it was too fast for my gamestyle. Hope i can back to you soon, also with new videos (i got a pause in the summer at the end of tournaments/champioship). I play with Matador Texa Carbon from at least one year so i hope that will be a good combo.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2022, 06:25 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I will be very interested to hear if you find the same differences that I did. :)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2022, 12:29 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
From my recent tests I can tell it has better control than Super Glanti soft (1.7mm). I'm still waiting for the humidity to leave, right now with every glanti (DMS or Neubauer) spin reversal is almost non existent...

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2022, 06:27 

Any solution to remove humidity? I sadly have this problem too

Follow me on YouTube ;)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2022, 06:33 
Super User

gepi1993 wrote:
Any solution to remove humidity?

Move to Arizona! :) Other than that...difficult. Frequently rubbing it with a dry microfiber cloth helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 04:19 

Tried ABS 3 this evening. I agree with you. Rubber is good. I immediatly got confidence with it. Block are easy and short. Attacks are easy and effective. As you said more margin on mistake than other anti. But , also with all these good aspects, i feel that storkraft has more distruptive effect. With storkraft double a good block was impossibile. With ABS 3 on 2 hours of training balls fall to the net only 2 times. So after all i think that storkraft Is harder to handle but more effective. Is hard to choose beetwen more consistency or more inversion.
What do you think about It?

Follow me on YouTube ;)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 16:28 

I think you make more points with consistent play and good placement. Also revearsel depends on your opponents. If they don´t make spin, you get less revearsal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!