OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Neubauer ABS 3
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2022, 21:38 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I have been trying out ABS 3 and ABS 2 Evo lately. Here is a clip where I use them both side by side.

https://youtu.be/kbvbnFC96IU

In the clip I first did som testing just blocking loose attacks. Then I played a few sets, first two with the ABS 3 setup and then with ABS 2 Evo setup.

I used ABS 3 in 1.5 mm (black) on a Stiga Carbonado 90 blade. This is the blade I found that works best with this anti (or with its blue soft sponge). On FH I use Tibhar Hybrid K1 Euro.
Then I used a Stiga Clipper Classic with ABS 2 Evo 1.8 mm (red) with the same FH rubber.
My opponent at blocking tests uses a stiff carbon blade with Mark V in 1.0 mm (very thin) and lp ox on BH.
At match situations my opponent uses a Stiga Carbonado 90 with some ordinary FH rubber and short pips 802 1.0 mm on BH.

ABS 3 is clearly safer and slower, it is like whatever you do, the ball lands on the table. But this, of course, comes with a cost, and that is how difficult it is for the opponent. ABS 3 tend to have a higher trajectory at blocks, and some blocks goes very high. Sometimes there are lots of back spin in those blocks but mostly they are an easy kill for the opponent. But you can also add some speed while blocking and that way putting more preassure on your opponent (but against some players it is better to play very short).

Attacking with ABS 3 is a little difficult since it is very slow, but if you but some force behind the stroke there can be a nice attack, either as a lift or as an aggressive push.

The main advantage of ABS 3 is safety and ability to control the placement in depth. You can easily make a very short return. I would say that 1.5 mm is almost as slow as 1.6 mm Barna Original Super Glanti or Vortex with 1.2 mm red sponge (in 2.0 ABS 3 is even slower). The spin reversal is a little higher from the SuperGlanti top sheet (original in 1.2 works best on the Clipper blade), but you can still get enough back spin on blocks with ABS 3, just make sure to keep the block low.

I have not played long enough with ABS 3 to learn how to attack back spin with speed and accuarcy, but I am sure that is doable, but maybe not as.essy and effective as with ABS 2 Evo.

The ABS 2 Evo has maybe a little more spin reversal, but it is difficult to say since the.rubners are on two different blades. But for me the Evo works very good on the Clipper (ABS 3 was nog good on Clipper). I like that blocks are safe but still low and with some speed. And the spin reversal is rather good (not as good as SuperGlanti but enough to use for this game style) and attacking with it is really good (just that I am not really used to that technique, the Luka-version of aggressive push-attack). I will work a lot more on attacking with this rubber and keep working on blocking with the right part of the blade (close to center, if the attack hits more close to the edge of the bat the block loose spin and control).

I will keep the ABS 2 Evo setup for awhile, to see how it works against other opponents.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 01:42 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Def-attack wrote:
Then I used a Stiga Clipper Classic with...

May I ask what year Clipper you are using? Is this an old Clipper? The reason I am asking is because I am back to using my OSP Ultimate (supposed to be like an old Clipper) and find that it works quite well with GlAnti.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 02:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Matt Pimple wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

May I ask what year Clipper you are using? Is this an old Clipper? The reason I am asking is because I am back to using my OSP Ultimate (supposed to be like an old Clipper) and find that it works quite well with GlAnti.
Hi?
No, it is not an old Clipper, only like 2 years old. But it is not any WRB or CR or CC. And I use the most light weight I can find, around 90 gram (I have a 97 as well and it behaves rather different).

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 04:17 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:
No, it is not an old Clipper, only like 2 years old. But it is not any WRB or CR or CC. And I use the most light weight I can find, around 90 gram (I have a 97 as well and it behaves rather different).

Thanks...interesting! I think the newer Clipper are a little bit thicker than the old ones, something like 6.6 vs 6.0mm. Maybe I need to test a Clipper again.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 06:59 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
Matt Pimple wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Ultimate 1 is a very good blade for glanti with its rigidity. The core is made from Mahogany if I remember correctly.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 09:08 
Super User

Rinforzando wrote:
Matt Pimple wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Ultimate 1 is a very good blade for glanti with its rigidity. The core is made from Mahogany if I remember correctly.

As far as I know the OSP Ultimate is a 7-ply Off blade with a Limba-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Ayous-Limba construction and is aimed at resembling an old Stiga Clipper blade.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 19:12 
Super User

Blade: Gerry Viscaria Super ZLC
FH: Tuttle G20 President
BH: Slick antispin
Can you provide some pictures ? On another forum someone said It was Mahogany

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2022, 23:29 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Thanks everybody for posting your experiences. I just got back from a vacation and have a tournament at the end of October. I will need to start training a lot to be halfway decent for it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to use Storkraft or ABS3. I've had a hit with my robot a couple of times recently and the findings match what you all say about the ABS3. Higher throw, less reversal, very safe/easy to use and keep the ball on the table. I make less mistakes compared to Storkraft, but the balls are also more "normal".

The one area that it sounds like I do have a little different opinion for the ABS3 is attacking. I actually think it's quite easy to attack with it. I feel comfortable hitting through just about any under spin or no spin ball and I can give it a hard hit and still feel like I can place it wherever I want to.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2022, 00:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

To prepare for an upcoming tournament, I've been using my robot a lot more lately, and had a lesson with my coach. He and I have decided to train with the ABS3 for the next month and see how that works for me in the tournament.

After more practice and comparison, I think that the ABS3 might be even slower than Storkraft. Some of my initial impressions have been reinforced. Storkraft has more reversal and is very slow with a low throw. ABS3 might be even slower, higher throw, less spin reversal but even the hardest balls can be returned short (minimum of 2 or 3 bounces on return). And it still has a bit of reversal.

I like attacking with the ABS3. Thanks to the higher throw angle, I hit less into the net, and I can swing pretty hard at the ball. One thing I've found, against those pesky long serves with dead spin, I am able to either drop returns short or attack. Attacking those with Storkraft was much more difficult.

It's going to be fun to give this a full set of training and go into the tournament with the ABS3. After this, I should have a good idea of whether to spend the rest of my table tennis season focusing on ABS3 or Storkraft.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 01:05 

dwruck wrote:
To prepare for an upcoming tournament, I've been using my robot a lot more lately, and had a lesson with my coach. He and I have decided to train with the ABS3 for the next month and see how that works for me in the tournament.

After more practice and comparison, I think that the ABS3 might be even slower than Storkraft. Some of my initial impressions have been reinforced. Storkraft has more reversal and is very slow with a low throw. ABS3 might be even slower, higher throw, less spin reversal but even the hardest balls can be returned short (minimum of 2 or 3 bounces on return). And it still has a bit of reversal.

I like attacking with the ABS3. Thanks to the higher throw angle, I hit less into the net, and I can swing pretty hard at the ball. One thing I've found, against those pesky long serves with dead spin, I am able to either drop returns short or attack. Attacking those with Storkraft was much more difficult.

It's going to be fun to give this a full set of training and go into the tournament with the ABS3. After this, I should have a good idea of whether to spend the rest of my table tennis season focusing on ABS3 or Storkraft.

After 2 months of testing i decided to play the season with ABS 3. The Key point for me was blocks. With storkraft i do more mistakes and when oppo understand that balls have lot of backspin this is a double weapon because i get back crazy balls very hard to loop and generally hard to handle. With ABS 3 oppo sometimes get dead balls, sometimes hard backspin, sometimes few backspin. I think Is less predictable and give me more chance to close the point if they stop attack.

Hope my impressions are useful.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 01:24 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Hi,

After a long summer of back and forth between ABS 3 and ABS 2 pro. I decided to play the season with ABS 3.
It gives me a lot of safety and enough revearsal when the opponent is spinning hard. It gives me the most room
for error and I can keep the ball lower (in general). Attacking is more difficult for me with the ABS rubbers, but
I chose to practice twiddling. Have been playing inverted before so I have a decent topspin BH when i need it.

Results so far are great. I'm 13 for 16 in matches. Only 3 losses are 9-11 in the fifth. I don't make a lot of direct winners
from unforced errors, but the opponents do miss sometimes. I'm playing in the first and second regional leagues in my
country, so just under national level.

As a rule of play I try to only touch the ball once with the anti and then twiddle attack or block with the ABS when they attack.
I do switch to regular for blocking sometimes or for pushing to surprise them. I win most points of taking over initiative after
a defensive shot. I'm able to slow down the game, change the pass and tempo and get some free points against players with less
expierence.

The twiddling attack is a must for me. Players at my level otherwise just keep on hitting dead balls to the backhand and those are
difficult to deal with for me. After a few BH twiddle winners they usually stop doing that. Right now I have the most problems with slow
topspins with little spin to my bh. If I don't do a normal block (twiddle) they just get an easy ball to finish the point. It's something
I need to work on.

Still a long way to go.
But I'm getting there

Cheers
Pieter

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 22:48 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

One thing that I've been working on with the robot, against slower, softer top spin balls to the ABS3 is hitting through them. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well ABS3 can do this. I can alternate between dropping balls short or counter hitting these types of balls. As you note, opponents will start to use this strategy, so this is a valuable skill. Next time you are training, have a partner or set up a robot to give you soft spin with medium or slow pace and give it a shot, like a standard counter drive, but more controlled.

Thanks for your impressions Carel and Gepi, this feedback is very useful. :clap:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2022, 23:43 

I will give that a try next training session

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 04:36 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I had a session with my coach today. Tried hitting through various levels of top spin and pace. The ball can be up to a medium pace, but the important thing is, the spin has to be low. I tried hitting through slow but very spinny ball and I lost too much control on the shot. I think this aspect of the rubber goes along with it being very good when attacking dead balls, as long as you drive through, it is very effective.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 16:23 

What blades are you using it on?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next