OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dr. Neubauer ABS 3
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 21:44 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I am using the Der Materialspezialist Deluxe Carbon blade. It pairs great with these type of anti spin rubbers.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 22:11 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Can you tell me what wood is used for the outer layer? I don´t find a lot of info online

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022, 22:48 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
By any chance, Have you ever measured the frequency of the Deluxe Carbon ? I'm quite curious. Higher frequency means stiffer therefore better for glanti and spin reversal.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2022, 04:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I'm sorry, I have not measured the frequency and I am not sure what the outer layer is. I started using it primarily on the recommendation of other frictionless anti players and knowing that Amir used it.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2022, 01:36 

dwruck wrote:
One thing that I've been working on with the robot, against slower, softer top spin balls to the ABS3 is hitting through them. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well ABS3 can do this. I can alternate between dropping balls short or counter hitting these types of balls. As you note, opponents will start to use this strategy, so this is a valuable skill. Next time you are training, have a partner or set up a robot to give you soft spin with medium or slow pace and give it a shot, like a standard counter drive, but more controlled.

Thanks for your impressions Carel and Gepi, this feedback is very useful. :clap:

I think you can appreciate my last macth.

He didn't suffer so much antispin but the variation on spin reversal forced him to many mistakes and also with a bad day for my forehand i got a nice win against a player with good rank.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

https://youtube.com/user/giacomuz10

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2022, 21:45 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

That was a nice win for you. The anti really set you up well for attacks. Early on I feel like you missed some high balls but you settled in during the match and started doing a much better job of taking advantage of the openings. Very good control with the anti, it seemed like when he did miss, it's because either the ball was shorter than he expected or the pace threw him off and he ended up hitting the ball long. I don't think the "reversal" into back spin really bothered him much. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on my assessment.
Overall some nice progress! As you say, even struggling a bit on the forehand, it helped you to control the pace of the game and get the win. Congratulations! :clap:

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 02:54 
Super User

I needed some fresh air and decided to play a totally new setup during the last team championship. I played with ABS3 on a custom OSP blade instead of my regular setup with Super Glanti soft and OSP Martin AC.
So far so good ! Especially on the offensive side, more precision than SG soft, more pressure and more speed when attacking. Throw is lower than SG soft.
Only downside is spin reversal, SG soft is still the best.

At this point I don't care about spin reversal anymore. There is always something to f*ck the spin reversal. I have ~1110 ttr (french ranking). Either I encounter players who does not put a lot of spin on their ball because they are simply bad (understandable, players around ~1100 ttr aren't very good, it's an intermediate ranking, not bad but not good either) or there is too much humidity in the room (happened last team match with ABS3).

Now I'm focusing on active play:
- pressuring the 3rd ball after my service (strawberry movement like Luka Mladenovic)
- pressuring the opponent when he is giving me dead balls
- low throw

ABS3 is better in that regard compared to SG soft.
I may comeback to SG soft the day I have a good ranking (~1800ttr) where I'll be able to face good players who put spin on their topspin.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 04:14 

Rinforzando wrote:
I needed some fresh air and decided to play a totally new setup during the last team championship. I played with ABS3 on a custom OSP blade instead of my regular setup with Super Glanti soft and OSP Martin AC.
So far so good ! Especially on the offensive side, more precision than SG soft, more pressure and more speed when attacking. Throw is lower than SG soft.
Only downside is spin reversal, SG soft is still the best.

At this point I don't care about spin reversal anymore. There is always something to f*ck the spin reversal. I have ~1110 ttr (french ranking). Either I encounter players who does not put a lot of spin on their ball because they are simply bad (understandable, players around ~1100 ttr aren't very good, it's an intermediate ranking, not bad but not good either) or there is too much humidity in the room (happened last team match with ABS3).

Now I'm focusing on active play:
- pressuring the 3rd ball after my service (strawberry movement like Luka Mladenovic)
- pressuring the opponent when he is giving me dead balls
- low throw

ABS3 is better in that regard compared to SG soft.
I may comeback to SG soft the day I have a good ranking (~1800ttr) where I'll be able to face good players who put spin on their topspin.

I 100% agree with that. In medium-low levels spin reversal is not the key because players can't spin balls. Being Active and consistent Is more important and ABS 3 Is super good on that.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 06:56 
Super User

Exactly. It is not the same meta down here. There is so much people who can't spin the ball very well and just smash and hit the ball whenever they can.

Introduction price ends at the end of the month, I'll grab 2-3 more sheets to finish the season with it

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 18:03 

Do you guys have good exercices to practice agression with the ABS 3?

I´ve been fine blocking and doing the sideswipe pushes. But I need some practice hitting trough backspin. I´m not sure enough about the technique so don´t try it enough in matches.

Tips are welkom

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2022, 22:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

The method I use for hitting through under spin is this:
1) Drop the blade angle below the level of the ball
2) Open the blade. How much I open depends on how much under spin is on the ball and how long it is. You will find out what works based on trial and error.
3) As you go into the ball, snap your forearm and wrist over from open to closed, driving forward towards your target. If you don't get your weight forward and through the ball you will not have consistency.

I have found this technique to work very well with the ABS3. If you are driving balls into the net, you need to be a little more open or forward on the stroke. If you are missing long, you are not closing the blade enough.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2022, 06:56 
Super User

Another training session with it today, mainly matches. Comparison with Barna SG soft 1.7mm. Pressuring the opponent is easier. Doing the strawberry is easier, particularly against backspin where it was difficult with SG soft. Ball is very toxic when active playing, because flatter trajectory and more speed. When blocking, it's not harder, and it's still very slow.
Definitely staying with this combo.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022, 03:24 

I have a ABS 3 1,5 mm to try out.
I'm waiting for a spare copy of my current blade (SDC custom).
Once I have it, i can make a comparison between 2mm or 1,5mm

After that I will choose the 2mm or 1,5 mm to play with (depending on the one i Like best) and compare it
to the ABS2 pro. I'm looking for the one that will enable me to do the best deep, weird and aggresive pushes
and low blocks with good spin revearsal. I'm not really interested in verry agressive attacks against backspin
because I twiddle for that. I tried it with the anti, but those attacks are not good enough. On my level everyone just kills those. It's good for once and a while, but my BH attack with inverted is better ...

I'll keep you posted once i have the blade :)

Cheers,
Pieter

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2022, 00:41 

New video with ABS 3 :)

Good match, he was in really difficoult against anti.

Follow me on YouTube ;)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2022, 23:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Trained exclusively with ABS3 for the last month and had a big tournament with it over the weekend. While I still think it's a very good choice for some players and their styles, I think I am better suited to have something that causes more disturbance, like Storkraft. I have sheets of Barna SuperGlanti and SuperGlanti Absorber that I'm also going to try.

I loved the control of the ABS3. Serve returns were safe, I landed more hits, and short balls I could place where I want. That being said...while I could stay in most points, it didn't give a lot of trouble to most players either. The people I played (mostly USATT 1800 and up) had some issues against it early on in the match, but generally by late in the first game or early in the second, they were too comfortable against it. I had a couple of first games in matches where I raced out to a big lead, only to have to barely hang on and then struggle the rest of the games.

I think that if you are going to use ABS3, you have to be very active in either twiddling or moving around to use the forehand frequently. While I could place hits where I wanted, they generally were counter hit back at me with little trouble. I currently don't twiddle, so in my matches I started looking for opportunities to move the opponent around and then step around and hit a forehand. This worked well against players below 2000. Above 2000 USATT, I had a difficult time getting my forehand set up. I was hoping that against lower rated, lower spinning players that the improved control and hitting ability would be a benefit. I played two players rated just under 1500 USATT. One guy was totally baffled by it, the other guy very little trouble. The only higher rated player (just over 1900) that I played where it helped was a chopper. The ability to control location and attack against the pips was very good and I lost a tough 5 game match.

Right now I'm not in good enough shape to be running around and looping a lot. And I don't have the twiddle in my arsenal. Perhaps if I learn to twiddle or get in better shape I can revisit this rubber. In the right hands, it can be very effective. But at this time I don't think it's a fit for where I'm at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next