OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 08:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Why stiff blades?
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2024, 00:51 
Super User

Blade: Super Control
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
boz wrote:
You guys are right, maximum spin reversal is not a problem for better players.

Yes. Some guys here have recommended before that focusing merely on spin reversal might not be the most profitable path when it comes to choosing a combination of blade and rubber. I myself personally have also realized that this is not the way I may want to choose, since some players are capable of handling the high spin reversal or even preveting the spin reversal by playing with less spin. Sometimes it is good to have players pushing the balls into the net, but sometimes it is not working. So, I have to make a choice and I choose the high spin potential (flexy blade) with high control potential. I am not sure it is going to reduce my reversal too much, as it is quite unpredictable to see how it is going work.

Having a high level of control and a quick, spinny but controlled offensive game is a better way of playing than relying on just reversal and disruption, as far as I can see.

The Rotating Control :)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 09:11 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Rakza Z max red
BH: Hurricane 3 black max
Slightly off topic

I recently noticed another type of "disruption". The guy was using something softer out of the yasaka range. His general looping produced trajectories I found hard to get used to. The ball looked normal until it landed on my side and then barely bounced upward. It kind of always skidded very really low.

Sure I got used to just blocking those back low, but I had to avoid going for counter loops because it was just too hard to predict the height. I still beat him on his other weaknesses... but disruption does work. As long as you can be consistent moving the player around and being in your comfort zone.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 10:20 
Super User

Blade: Sauer and Troger: Zeus
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Hai OX
Carlos Mühlbach plays in the german bundesliga 2 competition. He supposedly uses a Andro Ligna All+ which is a light weight flexible blade with Dr N ABS rubbers. But you should note that Carlos has a really good FH loop, he doesn't just rely on the anti for easy points

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 14:05 

Blade: Dr Neubauer
FH: Yasaka original a.1
BH: Dr Neubauer Gorilla
I have been using Dr. Neubauer Matador for my flanti. I decided to switch my blade from Donic waldner senso carbon after reading a lot about Matador. With that old set up I was playing inverted rubber on the forehand and flanti on the backhand. After I changed to matador, I changed my forehand to short pips. The matador is an amazing blade, no doubts about that. But I find a bit of a catapult effect coming from my flanti and find it a little hard to control, especially when the shots have high spin and pace. Now I have decided to try a defensive blade Dr Neubauer Grandmaster. What is your take on this blade for flanti?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2024, 16:49 
Super User

Blade: Super Control
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
This "disruption" you are talking about is often referred to me as "kick" effect. Yes, with flexiblwe blades (good for looping) and spinny rubbers it is possible to achieve such effect form the shots, be it a barely upward bouncing ball or accelerating upon landing. This is something I am getting back with the flexy blade.
The term "disruption" usually refers to the balls that slows down immediately, stops in mid air, wobbles or shakes (overall funny balls that messes up timing or having randomized spin).

I do not want to rely solely on my anti neither, that is why I do the change. Though the anti helped a lot with my game, I still have to handle it in its right place and letting it completely take over and screw up my game. Defending is wonderful with it, but I also have to attack, be it with inverted or anti.

I have used the Matador for quite a bit and I was overally impressed with its characteristics. Both antiing and looping were possible. The only problem the Matador has is its thick lacquering on its surface, which makes gluing pretty hard.

The Rotating Control :)