OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Double Inverted Choppers
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 11:33 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Does anyone have a list of some double inverted choppers or a few videos handy?

And if someone could detail a bit of the reason why no one seems to use double inverted for chopping, that would be wonderful. I can see at high levels the inverted might be too difficult to handle heavy spins, but at my level it doesn't seem worth giving up all the attacking possibilities inverted allows for the minimal benefits of pips... or am I ignorant of what they're really capable of?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 16:07 
Super User

I have learned the most from playing this old dude who uses huricane 2 max thickness on a dh 5 premade which is quite popular, for $30.

I would sum it up as follows - playing a very good inverted chopper is like playing against a great looper who uses backspin to get you to push and he starts to loop. The Double Inverted Chopper will use heavy backspin which he generates at will and if you have pips, the backspin will slide right off your pips into the table, bounce a few times then hit the net. Then if you start to lift his backspin, and if you fift too high, he will top spin attack the high ball. Basically, if you only pushblock with lp, you are at a serious disadvantage. However, if you can loop better than the DIC, then you are fine and the odds are with you. Anything less then a good, consistent loop against, heavy, HEAVY backspin would be detrimental. Looping against heavy backspin is easier said then done imo. Its not the same as looping against a push. A full swing chop from a DIC has way more spin considering the equipment and the skill of the defender. It is almost a guaranteed point against an lp players bh side whether you are a pusher or a modern defender until you adjust to the heaviness of the backspin.

Equipment wise I have found that it is a lot easier to hit the low backspin balls with a quick pendulum style down to up motion swing on my lp bh which is part of the solution if you are a combi bat player like I am. If you are a normal two wing looper, its much safer and easier to push back with springy sponged inverted rubbers. Of course, if you are a division 1 looper, you'll have these guys for breakfeast.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 16:30 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

There's nothing technically wrong with double inverted chopping. Infact among the defenders I know the average level of inverted choppers is for sure higher than the average level of pips choppers. The only thing is... All the inverted choppers are old, from the days of the 38mm ball when chopping was properly viable at the highest levels. Its just simply out of fashion now and so its hard to find someone to learn from.

There is one Japanese woman here in Victoria that has a sublime chop with inverted both sides, she's I believe the highest rated female vet in the state. Those are the kind of players you need to find and learn from before its too late.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 16:51 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Not sure of too many around today. In the 70s you had Takashima who was magnificent. There are a few brief clips of him on YouTube. I think he may have switched to LPs sometime in the late 70s (it was pre 2 colour rule then). Australian Paul Pinkewich used Mark V both sides for some time and was great with it. Australian vet Brian Berry is an all round player who frequently chops with inverted both sides. He is famous for his ridiculously heavy chops.

Personally I find it far more difficult to play against a 2 sides inverted chopper than a inverted/LP one. The reason being is that against LP you always know what spin is on the ball whereas against inverted it could be heavy or a float.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 21:12 
Super User

FH Tackiness C 1.7
BH Hurricane 3 1.0
Grubba Pro All-

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 23:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Have a look at Joanna Parker
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9316

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 05:27 
Super User

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 18:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
That guy in the red shirt is enjoyable to watch. Thanks for that video osyris21!