OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2021, 20:46 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Hi! Been playing since I was 12, I am now 46. All clubs in our area of Kentucky have been shut down by Covid. Never have really gotten a lot better over the last 5 years, maybe not as good. I am amateur, usatt around 1250. I’m looking to get better and get some help on this forum. Also to discuss table tennis of course! :rock: I use a basement grip of Seemiller with a thumb on the back and have an unusual footwork stance. Mostly push a lot, but it seems to pop the ball up, which is terrible. Flat hit for point killers, but often I miss. Tried anti and still have it after Covid, but I don’t think I ever got the hang of it. It is very slow!I do pretty good at blocking, and have some decent serves. Tried to branch out into tournaments at the national level, but never did much good. I’d love to get to the 1600 rating mark. Probably looking for a new setup, as I feel that the Sardius hurts me on control. Practice not much, as access to a place to play is limited. I’ve never had any real coaching to speak of. Most players in our area are the same. Bigger cities have high rated players, but it is a pretty good drive to them. I have tried to play the Seemiller style, but I don’t like to play spin much. Flat hit, block, push and sometimes try kill shots. I wish I was a lot better, kinda discouraging to be rated so low after playing so long. Looking forward to talking and interacting with all of you, thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2021, 14:50 

Blade: Wakkibat Poc-Rocket 10
FH: Focus III Snipe 2.2mm
BH: Xiom Vega Europe 2mm
Sardius wrote:
Hi! Been playing since I was 12, I am now 46. All clubs in our area of Kentucky have been shut down by Covid. Never have really gotten a lot better over the last 5 years, maybe not as good. I am amateur, usatt around 1250. I’m looking to get better and get some help on this forum. Also to discuss table tennis of course! :rock: I use a basement grip of Seemiller with a thumb on the back and have an unusual footwork stance. Mostly push a lot, but it seems to pop the ball up, which is terrible. Flat hit for point killers, but often I miss. Tried anti and still have it after Covid, but I don’t think I ever got the hang of it. It is very slow!I do pretty good at blocking, and have some decent serves. Tried to branch out into tournaments at the national level, but never did much good. I’d love to get to the 1600 rating mark. Probably looking for a new setup, as I feel that the Sardius hurts me on control. Practice not much, as access to a place to play is limited. I’ve never had any real coaching to speak of. Most players in our area are the same. Bigger cities have high rated players, but it is a pretty good drive to them. I have tried to play the Seemiller style, but I don’t like to play spin much. Flat hit, block, push and sometimes try kill shots. I wish I was a lot better, kinda discouraging to be rated so low after playing so long. Looking forward to talking and interacting with all of you, thanks!

Hello and welcome.

This will sound weird - but something about the way you describe your game immediately reminded me an awful lot of the way my partner's father plays (and he's actually pretty good - also self taught, uses the same kind of grip you do and plays a very similar game to you - very unorthodox style, and quite hard to play against.).

Dunno if this info is of use to you or not, but he uses (and swears by) his Donic Cayman blades and 1.5mm Mark V rubbers on both sides. This combo certainly suits his particular game very well and gives him the control and spin he's looking for during play - have you ever tried a similar setup yourself? (Just a thought I thought I'd share - really not sure why. Make of it what you will.)

Welcome to the boards anyway. :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 14:16 

Blade: Sardius
FH: Tacky Drive Butterfly
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
Wakkibatty wrote:
Sardius wrote:

Hello and welcome.

This will sound weird - but something about the way you describe your game immediately reminded me an awful lot of the way my partner's father plays (and he's actually pretty good - also self taught, uses the same kind of grip you do and plays a very similar game to you - very unorthodox style, and quite hard to play against.).

Dunno if this info is of use to you or not, but he uses (and swears by) his Donic Cayman blades and 1.5mm Mark V rubbers on both sides. This combo certainly suits his particular game very well and gives him the control and spin he's looking for during play - have you ever tried a similar setup yourself? (Just a thought I thought I'd share - really not sure why. Make of it what you will.)

Thank you for the welcome! It’s always great to hear of a dominant backhand gripper (for lack of a better term, this is what I’ve heard it described as). I’d be interested in some sort of dialogue with him if possible, if not, that’s cool too. I’m always trying to improve my game, and as you pointed out: it’s a very unique and unorthodox style. I’d say he gets really good control with the 1.5 mm Mark V. Does he only use one side of the blade? My thumb rests on the back of the paddle, and I keep it turned sideways, almost penholders ready hit position. I’m also looking for a different setup as I feel my Sardius is probably too fast. I used to play a lot of flat kill shots, but I moved away to a more defensive push/blocker style in hopes of winning simply by forcing errors. A younger player showed up that is super athletic and a really good hitter/counter hitter, extremely good footwork, he doesn’t miss much-played college baseball. So I’m trying to get my game up a few levels. I know most people will say that my grip is terrible, and it probably is, but I dunno how I even begin to switch now. Thanks again for the welcome!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021, 20:41 

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Donic Bluefire M1 Turbo
BH: DM Kamikaze OX Green
Hello, I´m Jose Torres, from Spain, CTM Málaga.
47 years Old and OX Long Pip Player, been playing since 4 years.
I came to this forum looking for information about long pip. I play close to table with long Pip, push and hiting the ball.
Some thanks

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 17:46 

jotore wrote:
Hello, I´m Jose Torres, from Spain, CTM Málaga.
47 years Old and OX Long Pip Player, been playing since 4 years.
I came to this forum looking for information about long pip. I play close to table with long Pip, push and hiting the ball.
Some thanks

Hello and welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for.

Out of curiosity, what first got you interested in long pip? (Never played with LP myself, so I don't really get understand much of the appeal :))

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 17:49 

Sardius wrote:
Wakkibatty wrote:
Sardius wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for the welcome! It’s always great to hear of a dominant backhand gripper (for lack of a better term, this is what I’ve heard it described as). I’d be interested in some sort of dialogue with him if possible, if not, that’s cool too. I’m always trying to improve my game, and as you pointed out: it’s a very unique and unorthodox style. I’d say he gets really good control with the 1.5 mm Mark V. Does he only use one side of the blade? My thumb rests on the back of the paddle, and I keep it turned sideways, almost penholders ready hit position. I’m also looking for a different setup as I feel my Sardius is probably too fast. I used to play a lot of flat kill shots, but I moved away to a more defensive push/blocker style in hopes of winning simply by forcing errors. A younger player showed up that is super athletic and a really good hitter/counter hitter, extremely good footwork, he doesn’t miss much-played college baseball. So I’m trying to get my game up a few levels. I know most people will say that my grip is terrible, and it probably is, but I dunno how I even begin to switch now. Thanks again for the welcome!

He doesn't come on these forums to the best of my knowledge, but yes he does use both sides of the blade (It's very hard to compete using only one wing IME, regardless of your playing style or grip. Once you add a proper FH / BH to your game your success levels climb considerably. :) )

And you're welcome :) - you;ll find we're a pretty friendly bunch here so feel free to comment (this particular thread isn't visited hugely though, so don't be surprised if posts here aren't responded to very readily)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2022, 15:15 

Blade: Gewo Flexxon
FH: MXP
BH: Tribhar Evolution EL-S
Hi! I'm May. A little about myself. I'm 29 yr old. From US Atlanta. I work in sales. My hobby's sewing and knitting, recently I became interested in outdoor of Table Tennis (I don't have much space indoors). I used to play Badminton with my brother when I was 10. I really wish to play tt seriously in a few years. I hope. I joined just to pick up tips from some of the better players. :oops:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2022, 16:23 

Mayiadi wrote:
Hi! I'm May. A little about myself. I'm 29 yr old. From US Atlanta. I work in sales. My hobby's sewing and knitting, recently I became interested in outdoor of Table Tennis (I don't have much space indoors). I used to play Badminton with my brother when I was 10. I really wish to play tt seriously in a few years. I hope. I joined just to pick up tips from some of the better players. :oops:

Welcome to the boards, hope you find what you're looking for. :)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 09:23 

Hello all!

I'm a 23 year old from the Research Triangle Park area in NC. I have played ping pong on and off for a while, but never consistently or in an organized fashion. (And as a result,) I have no clue about my play style or level.

I graduated from university last year and am currently looking for a fulltime job in industrial engineering. My other hobbies include cooking, working out, and video games.

And finally, I was referred to this forum when asking for advice on a entry-level (cheap and all-round) LP setup (send 'em my way if you got 'em).

Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2022, 01:04 

Blade: DHS PG5X
FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 3 commercial
Hi guys, I'm 20 years old, working as programmer and studying Economics.

I play table tennis on Sunday tournaments in a local tennis club and with friends too during the week.

Im here to ask you some questions about comparing different rubbers and to choose the best option for my blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 19:18 

Hi all! I haven't played table tennis in a long time, but I used to love it. Watched a few threads and videos here, and immediately got nostalgic.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2022, 08:53 

Hey guys, my name is Steven, I'm 27 years old and I live in Miami. New to tennis, I play in my free time from work and enjoy the game.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2022, 17:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
stevenLu wrote:
New to tennis, I play in my free time from work and enjoy the game.

Tennis?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2022, 19:05 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Hi,

I am a 35 year old player.

Been playing as a kid. Started again 2 years ago.

Been enjoying it ever since.

Cheers
Pieter

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2022, 15:05 

Blade: Stiga Rosewood VII
FH: DNA pro H
BH: DNA pro H
Hi there,
I'm Bruce and from Taiwan. I've been playing Ping-pong for more 40 yrs.
So far, It's still a good exercise for my age (53 years old).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167  Next