OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Victorian Vets Open
PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 10:02 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I agree, foam. For me a few things were less than ideal.

1) The lighting was bad, especially at first.

2) The only way to fill your drink bottle was in the toilet. No, not from the toilet, just that the water siphon was next to the sinks.

3) The nearby cafe was a complete rip off for prices. I mean, $3.80 for a 600 ml bottle of water? It must have been blessed by angels.

Other than that, it's always great to play these sorts of tournaments. Now, getting ready for the Ballarat Vets where we can show the rest of Victoria how to do it with style and professionalism! ;) ;) ;)

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 10:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Ballarat always do a great Vet's tournament, most of the top players don't turn up because it's on after the state selection is done. I think they are mad because it's well worth playing for the excellent playing conditions :). Every time I go to Melbourne I remember Julien the King Lemur saying... New York! It's a bit of a dump. Are you sure we're not in New Jersey?

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 10:24 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I haven't played at MSAC for years but everyone I talk to hates it. Aside from the issues you guys raised another major problem is the lack of atmosphere and the clinical feel to the place. Apparently TTV are not even allowed to put up stuff like honour boards. At the old Albert Park centre, for instance, there were honour boards, pictures of past and present champions, etc and the resulting atmosphere and sense of tradition was fantastic. At Coburg also there are honour boards; pictures and articles of national players, past champs and life members; hundreds of victorious VTTA pennants, etc and this really helps to convey the rich history of the club and in turn create a vibrant atmosphere.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 10:33 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I've never played at Coburg but have seen plenty of pictures of it and it looks in a word AMAZING. Especially the atmosphere with all the "stuff" laying around in the stand/stage area. I'd love to play there and see how it goes. I never got to play at the original Albert park Stadium either but always heard and still hear stories about how great it was.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 11:06 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

The old Albert Park centre was a magical place. I think the move MSAC has really hurt TT in Vic. Ideally TTV need to find a suitable centre of their own but I doubt that will ever happen due to the costs involved.

TT wise Coburg is not the best centre around. It only has 10 tables, the courts are a touch small, and the floors can be slippery BUT it has a great club atmosphere and this more than makes up for it's shortcomings.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 13:53 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Malleus, I'm sure I saw Najay kicking around during the day. All the usual were there. I think Reb had an okay day, they made the final of the Div 3 doubles, he got booted out of the singles by his arch nemesis(es) AW, which was amusing to the most of us (except Reb) but I'm sure he will avenge himself during a rematch when he's not so tired :rofl:

Actually that might have been the first round of Div 3? I'm not 100% sure, you will have to wait for Reb to write about it to find out for sure. Carbonman, I don't know the coburg players so don't have much of an idea about what they got up to. I was hopping to stay to see all the singles and report the results but just couldn't because it was running so late and I had the train to catch, I had to run most of the way into the city before I found a tram as it was, I cut it fairly fine.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:14 

@ Malleus - Yes, Najay was there. I didn't get to see him play.

@ Foam - My brother and I caught the train to Ballarat at 6.08 pm and because of a 'technical fault' further up the line and having to be ushered onto buses, we didn't get back until 8.30 pm. It was a long day! :whew:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:17 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I got back at about 12:30am from a 5am start and only played 5 matches, of which I only won... one :rofl:

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:18 

foam wrote:
I got back at about 12:30am from a 5am start and only played 5 matches, of which I only won... one :rofl:

YOU ARE DEDICATED! :rock:

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Yep Najay was there Malleus. Not too sure how he went. I know he and his assigned doubles partner got knocked out of div 3 doubles by the pair that E and I beat in the semi-final.

Yesterday was far too much about doubles for me, and far too little about singles. When I go to a tournament (which has been a rarity for me because it fatigues me too much), I like a few doubles games during the earlier part of the day just to have something to do, before they start the singles off. Yesterday we played 7 doubles matches, most of which were 5 setters. By the time the singles came I was already fatigued beyond any real focus levels. I played against a guy in Div 2 who I won the first set from and then couldn't think my way through the following sets well enough to win any. I put losing to him down to the fact someone told me he was about 1200. On the way home (with E driving), I checked he was 1101. That should have awoken me to how I was travelling mentally, but I just thought the guy was better than me. Then I played div 3 round 1 against Arlene. My game is far stronger than hers in general. I can just hit her off the table. I cruised through the first set. She took the 2nd set up to me and while I won it, I didn't twig that I had all but switched off. In the next 3 sets I fed her just what she wanted to be able to hit through me, and I barely got a shot off. I simply couldn't think and was playing really passive TT. Arlene played well and landed the balls I fed her, but it could have been a multi-ball session for what I was feeding her. And I simply couldn't engage my mind (or my FH) to get back in the match. Anyway, she was pleased to have beaten me, so at least someone benefitted from my zombiness! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oskar wrote:
@ Foam - My brother and I caught the train to Ballarat at 6.08 pm and because of a 'technical fault' further up the line and having to be ushered onto buses, we didn't get back until 8.30 pm. It was a long day! :whew:

That's not bad Oskar, I didn't get home til nearly 8pm myself. And we left soon after you! :lol: (I did have 15 mins at E's for a coffee - but driving out of the city at the time of night was a nightmare!)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:26 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

And Oskar have you seen the Croydon entry sheet? it will be a very exciting tournament, Reb running through the city at night was easy! didn't see hardly anyone. Especially not many with a tram driving uniform on :lol:

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:36 

GB (who always manages to make me laugh cos he's such a character) handed me one. Don't know if I can make that one. What about the next MSAC comp.? What does it mean when it says that it's a 'closed' tournament?

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:49 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I think 'closed' just means that it is open to Victorian players only: no over-the-border ring-ins. Unfortunately for you Dandy ring-ins are still permitted. :)

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:56 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yeah the closed will be just the same with another name :D. At least interstate players get Vic rating points any time they play against Victorian players. Dandy players are a far far worse prospect. Everyone was looking at the draws and saying any Dandy players here? and I go yes this one.. and they go :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

Did you know unrated dandy players won something like 7 out of 8 ? events at the Dandenong tournament :P, what a liberty..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next