OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 02 Apr 2024, 22:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 06:34 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I'm off to the Senior event today (Saturday) with my 9-year-old daughter, who's entering the Junior event. It's her first tournament.

I won't be going to the Veterans on Sunday – normally I might've preferred it over today's event, but it was more convenient to do it all in one day.

Anyone else going?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 19:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
hangdog wrote:
I'm off to the Senior event today (Saturday) with my 9-year-old daughter, who's entering the Junior event. It's her first tournament.

I won't be going to the Veterans on Sunday – normally I might've preferred it over today's event, but it was more convenient to do it all in one day.

Anyone else going?

Tomorrow! Shame we had to go on different days.

How'd you go?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 20:10 
Super User

My teammate and I didn't have any luck in O30 Men's Doubles. Our opponents were almost double our average rating, and while you can somewhat reduce the effect of individual ratings in doubles matches, the outcome was never in doubt, and they saw us off 3-0, with scores around -6 in each game.

I was knocked out of Div. 4 immediately (well, I had a bye in the first round, but I don't think that really counts as a win :lol: ). My rating going into the tournament was low 600s, the other guy was low 800s and I thought I had a shot. I put up a decent fight, but he had more polish.

Div. 5 was better. Previously I've not advanced more than one round. This time I had a draw paved with juniors.

- First round was against a boy rated in the mid-200s, so that went as expected, 3-0.

- Second round was against an age-group State rep (B squad) very close to my rating. However, my usual coaching group happens to include an A-squad player from the same age group who is rated 200 points higher, so while I certainly respected this opponent's ability, I thought I could overcome her well-trained technique with old-man sneakiness, which I did, 3-0.

- Third round was against a younger teen rated mid-400s who'd just beaten an adult rated higher than me to get to the quarter final. Anyway he probably over-attacked and missed a lot of shots. I think it went 3-0 or 3-1.

- Fourth round (semi-final) was against a very small but very skilled boy whom I'd beaten fairly easily at club pennant 6 weeks ago. He's been working on his game since then, since he had to topple some much higher rated players to reach the semi. Today I won the first two games, then lost the next two 11-13, and narrowly scraped in at 11-8 in the fifth to win 3-2. This put me through to the final.

- Final: Against a boy, I don't know what age, mid/late teens? rated about 10% higher than me. I won the first game 11-9 after a big catch-up, but only managed -2, -6(?), -8 after that, to become Div. 5 runner-up at 1-3. He was just more consistent in attack and wasn't really missing a lot, while I was probably playing too defensively and relying on my opponent making mistakes – which happens less as you progress through a draw.

Still, he deserved the win, and I'm very happy to have seen what it's like to get through more than one round – even if it was by beating a bunch of kids! :P

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 20:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well you got something back against your days costs and got value for money to boot! More games is always a plus. When I play kids at tournaments they're underrated to the hilt and old man tricks don't work lol. That's why I play Vets mostly...where you just get trapped by even older man tricks :lol:

Glad you had a good day. How did your daughter go?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 21:12 
Super User

My daughter didn't win any games, but took it all as an educational experience. She's only in the second-bottom junior grade at Croydon. The U13 girls' comp was played as a round robin, and included a pair of twins, "H" and "O". My daughter told me afterwards, "I thought I was playing "O" twice!" :D

I bought her a posh Xiom rectangular bat case for being a good sport…

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 21:31 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Good report hangdog, wish I was there. My consolation is that I have my once a year game of golf tomorrow. :)

You have got to bear those kids while you can as the way they improve, next year you won't have a hope.

RC points are up, did you get a few?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 21:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

The sub-700 kid that beat you was beaten by my mate, Sahmaniac's, son - who has almost made it to 1000 now by the looks.

Cobalt you should have come to Geelong for the Vets tomorrow...pop over and say gidday...its not much further to come than Ballarat :P :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 22:51 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Wish I could have, was actually on my list of tournaments earlier in the year but I've done quite a bit this year so no complaints. Any tournament for me means a weekend away.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 06:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Cobalt wrote:
Wish I could have, was actually on my list of tournaments earlier in the year but I've done quite a bit this year so no complaints. Any tournament for me means a weekend away.

Yeah, I know, was just joking as I'm sure you realised. Still, be good to meet up sometime. OK, time to ready myself to go!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 06:49 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Yeah, I know, was just joking as I'm sure you realised. Still, be good to meet up sometime. OK, time to ready myself to go!

Good luck on your matches today mate!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 08:19 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Good luck, look forward to the report.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 08:54 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
RC points are up, did you get a few?

Just 5 more, to 631. Slow and steady does it!

Good luck from me to Reb, too! :up:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 10:48 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Good Luck Reb! Make people move with those crazy angles

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 19:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I knew I must have had some extra help today, and here I find it was all this luck you guys wished me. Well today I turned out to be a pretty extraordinary lucky day. I did something I've never done before at a Vets tournament...I won Division 3!! :party:

I've won Division 4 a couple of times in the past and my points make me ineligible for that now anyway. But I'd come runner-up twice before in Div 3, but never won it.

Well today I had to win 6 matches on the trot to make and win the final, and I had some pretty tough opponents to beat, 2 of whom were higher rated than myself. Both of these players I doubted whether I could actually get over. One of them beat me back in 2011 for me to be runner-up in Div 3 (aka Bluesmartie68 of this forum). The other is a tricky old pips player who fires really fast angled balls from his Dtecs to where you are not. I beat both o these guys 3-1. Funnily enough, the second round I played was against a lowly rated sub-900 Chinese lady and she took me to 11-8 in the 5th! :o Then the guy I played in the final, I beat 2, 2, 4. Easiest game of the entire 6 matches....go figure! I think my half the draw had all the hard nuts, and the other side had the soft ones :lol:

After this I then played a player rated 440 points (2 divisions) above me in the O50's and I took 2 sets off him and lead him 2-1. His skill and experience saw him through the match to win in 5, but I think I had him a little worried in the 4th set :lol: I also played a friend of Haggisv's in the O50's and while I lost to him 3-0, every set went to deuce. 12-10, 14-12 (and I had a set point), 13-11.

I played 2 more matches in the O40's after this as well, and while I played ok, I was fatiguing really badly and really didn't want to win and make the day last even longer. I finished up playing 12 matches for the day including 2 doubles. That was enough!

I would say, given I generally play very poorly in daytime tournaments, today was my best performance probably ever. I've won more money than I won today at other tournaments, but its not the only measure of success (although I thought the cash prize today was lower than expected considering the number of entrants in the division I won).

So now I'm just trying to start to recover, but I think that will take several days, if not longer |-)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2016, 20:36 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Awesome to know reb!!!!! Rest well!!!