OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 10:36


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 04:25 
Online
Super User

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 03:27
Posts: 391
Location: FL, USA
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Blade: Sanwei Fextra
FH: Yinhe Apollo 5
BH: DMS Firestorm Soft 1.8 mm
Does a rule that states that once a player has thrown the ball when serving they cannot catch it exist? I.e., that they must serve or they lose the point otherwise.

I've been accused of throwing and catching the ball in match (when I thought that my opponent wasn't ready or got distracted by something so I didn't want to serve). However, I've also seen pros throwing and catching the ball, and they weren't penalized for that.


Top
 Profile  
 


 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 07:00 
Offline
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark
User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 12:25
Posts: 1422
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 341 times
Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05H max
BH: Tenergy 05 max
The serve starts from the moment before you throw the ball up from your hand. Once the ball is actually thrown, you must go through with your serve or lose the point. It is then up to the umpire to decide if the receiver wasn't ready or there was a distraction to call a let.

That said, the receiver should acknowledge that they weren't ready or were distracted and put their hand up for the let.

You catching the ball "forces the issue", taking control from the umpire who is left to either agree with your assessment or penalise you.

If there is no umpire, if the receiver is in any way a fair person they would acknowledge that you have stopped because they weren't ready or were distracted. Otherwise you are into "he said, she said" territory, so it is better to go through with the serve, then let the receiver signal a request for a let, which you, as a fair player yourself :), would agree with.

_________________
Retriever (sometimes golden, but often leaden)
Moderator, Inverted Retriever Technique sub-forum - http://ooakforum.com/viewforum.php?f=74


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 09:36 
Online
Super User

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 03:27
Posts: 391
Location: FL, USA
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Blade: Sanwei Fextra
FH: Yinhe Apollo 5
BH: DMS Firestorm Soft 1.8 mm
Retriever wrote:
The serve starts from the moment before you throw the ball up from your hand. Once the ball is actually thrown, you must go through with your serve or lose the point. It is then up to the umpire to decide if the receiver wasn't ready or there was a distraction to call a let.

That's what I understood from what I was told.

But what do you think happened in this Pan America Cup match? Aguirre threw the ball and then caught it, and that seemed to cause no reaction from the umpire.
https://youtu.be/ml2nyGRHCms?t=13740
at 3:49


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 10:44 
Offline
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark
User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 12:25
Posts: 1422
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 341 times
Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05H max
BH: Tenergy 05 max
Couldn't see what the umpire signalled. I would assume that the umpire may have signalled let as the server was throwing the ball up, so the server could catch the ball as the rally was already stopped. The receiver seemed to "half acknowledge" something in there as well.

_________________
Retriever (sometimes golden, but often leaden)
Moderator, Inverted Retriever Technique sub-forum - http://ooakforum.com/viewforum.php?f=74


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 23:50 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2016, 03:36
Posts: 436
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 68 times
Blade: Hurricane Long 3
FH: DHS Hurricane 8
BH: Tibhar MX-P
Something was definitely called either by the umpire of the receiver (judging by the server's reaction).

In other cases, you may see the server sometimes do a practice throw, when they are looking to check the effect of the lighting on a high toss. This is a little dodgy, but is never a problem in practice as it seems to be clear to everyone that that was not an aborted serve.

_________________
Other setups:
DHS H301 Blade/DHS Hurricane 3 Nat/Loki GTX Pro
DHS H301 Blade/Loki GTX Pro/Loki GTX Pro


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2019, 02:37 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Dec 2016, 16:35
Posts: 580
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 99 times
Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
ziv wrote:
Retriever wrote:
The serve starts from the moment before you throw the ball up from your hand. Once the ball is actually thrown, you must go through with your serve or lose the point. It is then up to the umpire to decide if the receiver wasn't ready or there was a distraction to call a let.

That's what I understood from what I was told.

But what do you think happened in this Pan America Cup match? Aguirre threw the ball and then caught it, and that seemed to cause no reaction from the umpire.

at 3h:49m:00s
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml2nyGRHCms&t=13740s[/youtube]


You sick sick man! You almost made me watch 3 HOURS of video ! I realised u dint embed the timestamp in the url, but mentioned 3:49 ... I started watching from the beginning :lol: :rofl: :-D :headbang: :devil:

_________________
__________________________________________________________
Backup C-pen blades:
  • TSP Black Balsa 7.0 :
    1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
  • 729 Bomb : FH/BH-TG2Neo/H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal C-P : FH/BH-729SuperFX
  • Stag Balsa Koto : FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH-YRakza7/H2 Orig
==========================================================


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2019, 02:39 
Online
Super User

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 03:27
Posts: 391
Location: FL, USA
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Blade: Sanwei Fextra
FH: Yinhe Apollo 5
BH: DMS Firestorm Soft 1.8 mm
man_iii wrote:
You sick sick man! You almost made me watch 3 HOURS of video ! I realised u dint embed the timestamp in the url, but mentioned 3:49 ... I started watching from the beginning :lol: :rofl: :-D :headbang: :devil:

I'm sorry! :)

However, my link does contain the timestamp. And I didn't embed the video or write "at 3:49" - so I assume it's one of the moderators you should blame thank. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No catch rule?
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2019, 00:49 
Online
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:24
Posts: 662
Location: Universe
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 56 times
Retriever wrote:
Couldn't see what the umpire signalled. I would assume that the umpire may have signalled let as the server was throwing the ball up, so the server could catch the ball as the rally was already stopped. The receiver seemed to "half acknowledge" something in there as well.


I still cant see no good reason for catching the ball being on fly. Likewise, cant I see any good reason for the umpire to call let. The case still remains unexplained.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: