OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 12:51 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
Hey everyone, are any form members USATT certified coaches? Club, state, national? I'm interested in becoming a club coach. I have been coaching for some time, the certification won't really make a big difference. I just thought it would nice be officially certified as a coach under the USATT.

I inquired a few years back and was told in order to apply to be a club coach you had to have a USATT rating of at least 1400 (I think) and you were required to take a written test (which had a fee of $20)

I asked just recently and was told that it now costs $299. And this is just to be a club coach ( the lowest tier.) I think this is just absurd, does anyone know what is going on? I was super angry when they decided to hide ratings of non-current members, now this. The USATT is quickly looking very bad in my eyes.

Hopefully someone on the forum can sort this out,
Best!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2021, 17:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, $299 is very expensive! How do they justify that cost?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2021, 04:56 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
So I just heard back after inquiring again, I was told

"The online coach program was implemented in 2020 which includes course and test. This is the only coach test we have right now, sorry for any confusion."

Apparently there is an online training component that goes with a test. This is different than how it has been in the past.

$300 seems like way too much to me. This is literally 15x what it used to cost to go through certification.

This change went completely under my radar. It shows why it's so important to keep an eye on these sports governing bodies. Looks like I won't go through certification anytime soon....

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2021, 11:34 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
In Australia I had to do a weekend coach course for level 1.
It was useful how to structure lessons with some good fun exercises.
However, it had pretty much zero knowledge on how to teach pro technique on any level.
They gave you a manual that has a page on each stroke with basic instruction.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2022, 17:00 

Aus coaching qualifications are garbage. Too many apathetic coaches, they don't even correct technique. They can't even feed balls well. Maybe 1 out of 10 are any good. It has gotten worse since COVID. Lots of new young qualified coaches with little knowledge of anything. It's a scam. Hope the USA is different.