OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Jun 2024, 19:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 May 2024, 02:25 

Blade: DHS ML5 National Golden
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Feint Long 3
Paris Olympics 2024
India Women’s Team :-
Manika Batra, Sreeja Akula, Archana Girish Kamath
Reserve :- Ayhika Mukherjee

May 2024 ITTF Women Ranking list
99 Yashaswini Ghorpade
103 Archana Girish Kamath
118 Sutirtha Mukherjee
138 Ayhika Mukherjee
149 Reeth Tennison
174 Swastika Ghosh
378 Poymantee Baisya (2023 National Champion)

Olympics is an once in a lifetime opportunity
So I wonder if Ghorpade can sue TTFI ?? Because most other women players have done SO in recent past LOL
If I am not mistaken no player can play more than 2 matches in a tie at the Olympic Teams event,.
The team event playing format is
BC vs YZ Doubles
A vs X Singles
C vs Z Singles
A vs Y Singles
B vs X Singles

So if India faces a team like China or Korea , Kamath will have to play one singles. Kamath is a decent player but does a double inverted player have any chance at all against a Chinese player ? I don’t think so. Ghorpade on the other hand has a decent chance. Ghorpade is also lesser known pips player of all & Ghorpade has a better chance of knocking off some upsets than Kamath
Also in the ranking list Ghorpade is ranked higher than Kamath currently. If I remember correctly , Kamath sued TTFI the last time .
Also Ghorpade had some good results recently in double sit seems

And Sutiitha could even sue TTFI because she is ranked higher than her own doubles partner Ayhika LOL
I think there was a dispute during Tokto Olympics and Manicka sued TTFI about Sutirtha's coach & won LOL

PostPosted: 19 May 2024, 09:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Is the selection of the Olympics team in India based purely on ranking, or are there other criteria? If there are other criteria, it would be good to know what they are, otherwise it's hard to decide if there has been an injustice.

PostPosted: 20 May 2024, 05:54 

Blade: DHS ML5 National Golden
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Feint Long 3
haggisv wrote:
are there other criteria?

Thanks for your kind reply sir..
But as I explained in my first posting, Kamath has a very nice reverse rubber backhand
But as good as Kamath may be, table tennis is not figure skating or gymnastics. You don’t get evaluated for your grace and beauty (of your backhand oop)
Even against opponents other than top 10 powers, Kamath would be a liability in a team event. She will most likely lose her singles. And she will be the target in every doubles match.
So India would be starting with 1 or 2 match disadvantage in almost every tie.
If India had no chance against teams like China or Korea it is fully understandable. But in the last few months Indian pips players have repeatedly beaten the best Chinese players.
I am still not saying India could beat the Chinese . Chinese are probably hunting down every long pips player (women as well as men) of ever pi / anti style in every street corner to torture the Chinese women’s team.
But India’s chances are much better against other top nations playing 3 long pips players.
I read in various European news channels that they are upset that India keeps sending long pips players for WTT events. So it is quite possible that India Is just adding a token two winged looper to their team. If this is the case it is highly unethical. As if there is not enough pips suppression and humiliation already.

PostPosted: 23 May 2024, 07:37 

I would have sworn M Reddy is DiegoX, the author of the topic called "Indian Long Pips Trident"
Ha Ha Just joking

PostPosted: 23 May 2024, 08:26 
Super User

Not like DiegoX to do something like that ;)

PostPosted: 23 May 2024, 11:24 

I don't think ready to meet CNT
Need more international experience

PostPosted: 23 May 2024, 16:52 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
haggisv wrote:
Is the selection of the Olympics team in India based purely on ranking, or are there other criteria? If there are other criteria, it would be good to know what they are, otherwise it's hard to decide if there has been an injustice.

In answer to your question haggisv their appears to be an Olympic/ITTF qualification system to ensure selectin based on tangible rankings and results and not the type of equipment used.

The actual qualification system document is too big to upload to this post however, you can find it here https://olympics.com/ioc/documents/olym ... mpic-games by selecting "qualification" and downloading the criteria for "Qualification system - table tennis"

From quickly reading it, the singles positions are out of the hands of the National Governing Body - section C shows eligibility criteria. Section D expands on this

"For NOCs with a qualified team:

(1) The top two (2) highest ranked athletes on the World Rankings published on 18 June 2024 will be listed as the qualifiers for Singles.
(2) If a Mixed Doubles quota is accepted by the NOC any qualified athletes in Mixed Doubles shall be listed as members of the team.

* there are 3 athletes per team.

Note. Importantly the selection criteria which applies to all national governing bodies not just Table Tennis India, also says "For the Mixed Doubles pair to compete in the Olympic Games, any qualified athletes in the Mixed Doubles event must also be part of the team composition, in the respective gender should the NOC have qualified a team.

To qualify for mixed doubles

- 6 pairs come from the highest placed pairs in each Continental qualification event
- 4 pairs will come from the semifinalist's Mixed Doubles pairs at a designated Qualification Event in March or April 2024
- 5 pairs based on the 5 highest ranked eligible pairs in the Mixed Doubles World Ranking, as of week 19 of 2024 (Tuesday 7 May 2024) not already qualified, and from different NOC's than those already qualified.

The highest Indian mixed doubles pairing is Sathiyan Gnanaskearan and Manika Batra, and Manika Batra is in the top 20 in the world and already selected as part of the team. The next highest ranked mixed doubles pairing from India is Manav Vikash Thakkar and Archana Kamath, not Yashaswini Ghorpade. Therefore, it could be that individual world ranking determines the first two selections in a team event and the third team member is selected based on Mixed doubles ranking and Kamath is higher ranked than Ghorpade in Mixed Doubles.

This seems to be backed by the men's team also including Manav Thakkar, who is Archana Kamath's mixed doubles partner.

This is also from Table Tennis Federation of India (Selection Policy)

"The current selection policy of the Table Tennis Federation of India, as per the notification dated May 9, 2023, and appearing on our website, will continue for the selection of players for all international events (Teams and Individuals) until the Paris Olympics 2024.

As per the ITTF guidelines, the selection criteria to choose two players for the singles, if India qualifies as a team for the Paris Olympics 2024, would be:

"...they obtain TWO (2) quota places for singles. Besides the top two (2) highest-ranked players in the world ranking of Week 25 in 2024 (Tuesday 18 June 2024), the part of the Indian team chosen as per TTFI selection policy will be eligible to participate in the singles events of the Paris Olympics 2024.

E.g. A player is World ranked No. 65, B player is World ranked No. 81, C player is World ranked No. 95 and D player is World ranked No. 105. Now, an A player, C player & D player would form part of the team as per TTFI selection policy. So, A & C players will become eligible for the singles events as they are the two highest-ranked players and part of the Indian team. Here, the B player, though ranked higher than the C player will not be entered for the singles event as the B player is not part of the Indian team."

Interestingly, the Olympic/ITTF qualification system for the Olympics, references world ranking as of 18 June, 2024 but Table Tennis India have announced their team on 16 May, 2024 which is before this deadline. And, on the Olympics.com website article posted 16 May, 2024 it says "All six players for the Indian Olympic table tennis team were selected based on world rankings." If that was the case, Ghorpade was actually higher ranked than Kamath.

But it gets even more intriguing. This is again from Table Tennis Federation of India website

"However, there was a debate over the third player for the women's squad. After Manika and Sreeja Akula walked in on the back of their higher world rankings (top 50), Archana Kamath made it to the team as the third player. The Bengaluru paddler edged Ayhika Mukherjee out as the former scored over the latter on several counts, including her world ranking (No.103), 33 places ahead of Ayhika." No mention was made of "Yashaswini Ghorpade" at all. And the last line of the report I quoted from says "Incidentally, Massimo Costantini’s presence as a special invitee at the meeting also added teeth as the foreign expert’s inputs proved handy in the selection of the squads." When Massimo Costantini came to Preston in 2009 with the India squad, he was involved a lot with coaching the women's team https://youtu.be/wMDHnQyXN-o?feature=shared and he worked equally with players irrespective of equipment they used so I seriously doubt he'd chose a player simply based on equipment used.

And lastly, there is Table Tennis India Federation's own selection criteria here https://www.ttfi.org/pages/index/moyas (it's not clear on the website if the proposed changes to selection from 2022 were accepted or not) but there is reference to players being within a similar world ranking range being categorised in to "brackets" which span a range of world ranking eg world ranking 1-30 are all allocated 50 points on the Indian "proposed" selection system. And where "two players fall within the same world ranking bracket, their India ranking can be taken in to consideration for selection".

If the new proposed system wasn't accepted, the system remained points allocated according to national ranking (50pts), International ranking (30pts) and coach assessment (10pts). - I've also uploaded this selection policy so you can compare between the "proposed" and "current".

For reference, the last Indian domestic rankings I can find show Archana Kamath as no.3 and Yashaswini Ghorpade as no.9.

To conclude this long winded and complex beyond need post

- India have a team in the Olympics based on their teams world ranking
- the first two members of the team are based on their world ranking
- the third member of the team is either based on their mixed doubles world ranking, or the at the discretion of the host nation (not sure which). If it's the former, Archana Kamath is higher ranked. If it's the latter, and the selection Table tennis India selection criteria is in place, Archana Kamath had a higher domestic national ranking based on the last published ranking list I can find.

Clear as mud. But then, I doubt that there's a national association around that doesn't have serious question marks raised about the logic of some of the selections made at all age levels, or that hasn't been challenged legally at one time or another about the transparency of decisions or selection criteria chosen by those bodies.

Attachments:
RevSelectionCriteria_Jan2021.pdf [20.58 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times
File comment: possible selection procedure for table tennis india
NOTICEforNewSeectionCriteria.pdf [14.75 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times