OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 12:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 17:34 
Stir Crazy

ttEDGE - William wrote:
from your point of view as table tennis nuts: what has been good and bad about the World Championships?

For me, the standout match so far was between Ma Long and Bojan Tokic. Yes, they are both loopers but it was compelling viewing. Tokic gave it his all (and then some) and pushed Ma Long all the way - interesting to see Ma Long genuinely rattled by a player ranked so much lower than him. Tokic's commitment and bravery were spectacular.

The worst element has been some of the camera work - very amateurish direction. Surely they understand the need to show the whole court and both players during each point? Some of the angles have been bizarre. In comparison with some of the TV broadcasting that we get in other sports, it's been substandard. Having said that, the commentary has also been pretty ordinary at times as well.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 17:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Marder 1mm
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I think the expanded web streaming is a terrific move by the ITTF. Since most countries don't have much (if any) live television coverage, this allows people worldwide to see the best in our sport in the most important tournament.

This is the type of initiative that builds our sport. I think they could have chosen some more interesting matches in the earlier rounds for streaming. I would also guess that 99% of the viewership has played the sport and understands the sport...rather than being the casual sports spectator, the ITTF covets so much.

I like all the announcers, although one older gentleman doesn't seem to know much about the game.

I've also noticed that the venue is quite empty for a lot of the matches, and I hear the tickets are quite overpriced, which is a disconnect in the marketing area.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 18:46 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
ttEDGE - William wrote:
It will be very interesting to see how this all works.

Let's get this started with something that is fresh in our minds - from your point of view as table tennis nuts: what has been good and bad about the World Championships?

I like each player to to have a little introduction which could be shown during the warm up including who they are or atleast abit about their background, how long they've been professional, type of style, and importantly the type of equipment they are actually using in that match. Also results of head to head meetings. During the match I'd like more stats on points won and lost eg points won on serve, out right winners, what side they were hit with etc etc. Basically better analysis of how games develop and are won. This would help me on the mental side of the game and how to plan and build points. Sometimes I watch these games for fun, but sometimes I like to watch or concentrate on certain aspects to learn from them too.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 19:42 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Marder 1mm
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Debater wrote:
ttEDGE - William wrote:
It will be very interesting to see how this all works.

Let's get this started with something that is fresh in our minds - from your point of view as table tennis nuts: what has been good and bad about the World Championships?

I like each player to to have a little introduction which could be shown during the warm up including who they are or atleast abit about their background, how long they've been professional, type of style, and importantly the type of equipment they are actually using in that match. Also results of head to head meetings. During the match I'd like more stats on points won and lost eg points won on serve, out right winners, what side they were hit with etc etc. Basically better analysis of how games develop and are won. This would help me on the mental side of the game and how to plan and build points. Sometimes I watch these games for fun, but sometimes I like to watch or concentrate on certain aspects to learn from them too.

Cheers

Great point. Everyone wants to know what blade and rubbers the pros use.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 19:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That might create some controversy though, as some players are known to use blades of one brand, with the handles of the brand of their sponsor. :o
Still I agree it's a great idea!

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 21:18 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Not forgetting sponge thickness and hardness!

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 02:51 
Horse Hockey!

speedplay wrote:
Agree about the equipment. TT is a very equipment oriented sport, so it should be showed what equipment the pro's are using.

Another thing that came to my mind is the ItTv coverage. It's great to be able to watch the matchs when ever I want to, but, when watching them in the archive, the "time line" often ruins the excitement. If a match stands at 3-0 in set, and the time line shows that 9 minutes remain, it's not exactly thrilling to guess who will win. Perhaps they could either remove the bar that shows the time, or, make all these clips of equal lenght, so it always shows 90 minutes. If the match ends after 40 minutes, then a blank screen will be shown for the remaining time. This would help keep up the excitement for those of us who don't watch the matches live.

Good point! I've noticed that too. :clap:

PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 18:36 

Thanks guys, this is all good stuff. I was surprised to hear that the ITTF website had crashed and was down for a whole day during the worlds. Lessons for next time around...