OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celluloid banned
PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 09:45 
Horse Hockey!

Tassie52 wrote:
The reason behind the removal of celluloid balls is their extreme flammability.

Your predictions about REACTIONS ring true. However, aren't plastic balls made from petroleum (a much more scare resource) and also non-biodegradable? Sounds like the new balls are much less enviro-friendly...and I can't imagine that they would be particularly flame-resistant themselves.

Something smells fishy in all this. :?:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 09:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

cyber1call wrote:
Tassie52 wrote:
The reason behind the removal of celluloid balls is their extreme flammability.

Your predictions about REACTIONS ring true. However, aren't plastic balls made from petroleum (a much more scare resource) and also non-biodegradable? Sounds like the new balls are much less enviro-friendly...and I can't imagine that they would be particularly flame-resistant themselves.

Something smells fishy in all this. :?:

It almost always comes down to money as the chief reason...

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 09:52 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Tassie52 wrote:
Of course, I could be wrong: perhaps the LP and anti community will recognise that highly flammable balls are a bad idea and will graciously accept the new balls as necessary for the continuation of the game into the future. Perhaps.

Celluloid table tennis balls have been around since 1901. Don't know why all of a sudden they're a problem and certain people have to make up a fake worldwide ban to justify moving to an inferior ball. I've yet to see a ball burst into flames in the middle of a table tennis match. :^)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 09:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Tassie52 wrote:
Of course, I could be wrong: perhaps the LP and anti community will recognise that highly flammable balls are a bad idea and will graciously accept the new balls as necessary for the continuation of the game into the future. Perhaps.

Celluloid table tennis balls have been around since 1901. Don't know why all of a sudden they're a problem and certain people have to make up a fake worldwide ban to justify moving to an inferior ball.

I would not be surprised that the new ball will eventually cost manufacturers a LOT less to make in the long run than the traditional 2-piece ball... So imagine charging the same to the public for something that will cost a lot less to make, hmmmm...

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 10:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
Here's Adham speaking about the world celluloid ban and also a demonstration of the new balls which appear to have different bounce characteristics.

http://sports.cntv.cn/20110513/110809.shtml

I can't see the video on this page...does it still work for you?

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 10:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Still works for me.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 10:52 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I'd rather they ban Cellulite.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 11:08 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:

I had to change web browser to Firefox, and then it worked. :)

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 11:51 
Hard Justice

The noticeably different bounce properties don't look promising.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 14:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
I'd rather they ban Cellulite.

Given you don't have a shred of it, its not surprising :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 15:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Here's Adham speaking about the world celluloid ban and also a demonstration of the new balls which appear to have different bounce characteristics.

http://sports.cntv.cn/20110513/110809.shtml

Worked for me except for one thing...I couldn't understand anyone but Adham....correction...I don't think I've ever really understood Adham either :lol: :lol:

Were they saying the plastic ball bounces longer than the normal ball?

So while the world is banning cellulose (presumably for its flammability), India is now exchanging Asbestos for Cellulose in their housing materials!!! :lol:

http://banasbestosindia.blogspot.com/20 ... place.html

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 15:27 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Wooden table tennis blades are flammable too. Also the ITTF Handbook is highly flammable.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 15:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Did a little searching myself and while any actual articles on a ban on cellulose are not apparent, I did find some chatter on car paint forums back in 2006 and 2007 talking about it (in the UK I think). Seems cellulose was banned in paint after 2008, cellulose having been stopped in manufacture around 2006 (not sure if this is UK only). Here are the links to the discussions I found so far:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=12592

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technic ... paint.html

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 16:15 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I find fire danger a poor excuse. I know of not one fire "caused" by ping pong balls. They do not self ignite. I have had some in a car in the sun that got VERY hot and they did not light. While 12 ping pong balls caught in a fire would flare up for a few seconds, they will not be the "reason" for a fire. A small can, 4 ounces of paint thinner, nail polish, some paints or thinners would cause hundreds of times the release of energy of 12 ping pong balls.

Some things "will" self ignite, like a linseed oil soaked rag. I have seen this myself. Linseed oil has not been banned by the world governments. ( I banned it's use in a large company after two fires in the machine shop)

No one knows what the new material is going to be. Most plastics burn. Most give out much more heat than celluloid when they burn. Maybe they will add a fire retardent to the plastic. If the new balls do burn, what is the difference between the old and new material if neither has caused a spontanious fire since 1903?

Since the ITTF has been talking about changing the ball since 2003, I think the ban they talk about is a smoke screen again for something else. I really don't care if they come up with a new ball if it is not alot more expensive. I don't care if it bounces higher. I don't care if the speed of the ball is similar to the old. No seam will be nice, that is where most cracks start. What I am concerened with is if the cost goes way up. I have been supplying balls for a grade school and a college at "my cost". Maybe the new methods of production will allow cheaper costs, maybe, but there is going to be new equipment required. We will pay for that at first.

Wish I could get my hands on some of the new balls, (and the real reason to change).

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 16:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

While not totally explaining the reason for switching away from celluloid, this webpage does have some interesting info on it:

http://www.lashingguitars.com/celluloid/care.html

I think the most interesting thing it says is celluloid is not illegal, just obsolete for just about everything but guitar picks and ping pong balls. Perhaps having found a way to make ping pong balls from a different substance has now just rendered it obsolete for this too?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!