OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 01:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 00:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Balls that don't break so easily will be a welcome improvement in my book! Not so good for the TT ball industry, in that case, though.

Speaking of which, does anyone know the link to the online video that shows how Nittaku balls are (or perhaps were at one time) manufactured? It was posted either here or on MyTT and, iirc, it was either YouTube or an Asian YouTube-like site that was hosting it. Fascinating to say the least, and far more involved than I ever would have imagined.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 01:29 
Super User

tabesamis wrote:
I'm kinda looking forward to trying the new ball. Even though there will be a major change in our sport I don't feel the change will change my view of the game. I enjoy playing now, and I'm sure I'll enjoy playing after the london olympics also:)

Good for you, but, you know, there are many players, who invested a lot of time in developing their game, and they will be probably negatively affected with the ball, that takes spin and speed away from them.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 04:07 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Sure there are alot of players who trained themselves for a specific ball. Then the 40 mm ball came out and the same players made adjustments and adapted. Do you seriously think that these same players will not find a way to adapt to the new ball??? What about all those players who adapted to not using frictionless pips? Or about the players who adapted to not using speed glue legally?

A good player is a good player no matter what and they will adapt. Yes it may shift the power a bit, but all of these changes are in order to improve the game and provide more safety.

If you don't like it quit... or adapt like everyone else.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 04:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tabesamis wrote:
Sure there are alot of players who trained themselves for a specific ball. Then the 40 mm ball came out and the same players made adjustments and adapted. Do you seriously think that these same players will not find a way to adapt to the new ball??? What about all those players who adapted to not using frictionless pips? Or about the players who adapted to not using speed glue legally?

A good player is a good player no matter what and they will adapt. Yes it may shift the power a bit, but all of these changes are in order to improve the game and provide more safety.

Just because rules change do not mean they were done for the good of the sport. They could have been changed purely for financial gain, as it is the case with this new ball. Personally I don't like these changes but I won't quit either, because the sport does not belong to those rule makers.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 05:37 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
nathanso wrote:
Speaking of which, does anyone know the link to the online video that shows how Nittaku balls are (or perhaps were at one time) manufactured?

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 05:53 
Super User

roundrobin wrote:

Just because rules change do not mean they were done for the good of the sport. They could have been changed purely for financial gain, as it is the case with this new ball.

That 's exactly the point.

It looks like some people see us merely as a source of money, no matter what.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 06:03 
LoopER Chopin

I see your point about the changes being a source of money.
I also wouldn't mind if the changes never happened, because it would allow all of us to keep the same equipment, and not have to buy new balls.

Unfortunately financial gain is part of business, and Table Tennis has to have a business side for us to be able to enjoy the high level professional play that most of us enjoy on the internet for Free.

I'm not saying that all of the changes have the best and most noble intentions. I'm just trying to look at this situation from a positive perspective. Yes. we will have to pay money for the new ball. Yes we will be forced to adjust to a new ball, but the new ball will be "safer" and we will be all contributing to changes in the sport that hopefully elevate it.

If the changes make the sport worse in any way the ittf has the option to make changes to try to improve the game again.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 06:17 
Super User

tabesamis wrote:

But the more safety thing seems to be a bit of a hoax.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 06:19 
Super User

[/quote They could have been changed purely for financial gain, as it is the case with this new ball. [/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKX9TWRyfs
highly recommending also the other parts of the serie..

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 06:59 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Yes big money scam
1, will existing robots fit the new ball?
2. will your little ball side pocket fit the new ball?
3. Will bat cases with internal ball holder fit the new ball?
4. Will the roller ball holders or key ring holders fit the new ball?
5. Will manufacturers claim to have new rubber for the new ball?
6. Will we need stronger or lighter or different blades?

sure the old ball will burn and pop if you lite it but so will table tennis rubber lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 07:00 
Super User

tabesamis wrote:
Unfortunately financial gain is part of business, and Table Tennis has to have a business side for us to be able to enjoy the high level professional play that most of us enjoy on the internet for Free.

I can tell you, why it is free on the internet. Because very few people are ready to pay for it. The German DTTL has once tried to charge a little bit money for their channel and failed. Then it was free again. Note: there are over 600 000 registered players in Germany.

Second, I do not think, that those players, who have no interest in watching TT on TV, should be forced through rule changes to buy and test new equipment so as the manufacturers give a tiny fraction of their gains to ITTF as a sponsorship for "free" itTV. It looks like a sort of extortion to me.

tabesamis wrote:
Yes. we will have to pay money for the new ball.

No, it is not just new balls. It is rubbers and blades, many rubbers and many blades to somehow compensate for different playing properties of the "plastic ball". We can only guess, how much money will be made. Let's say, at least 3 new (expensive) blades and 5x2 new (expensive) rubbers per player. Than multiply these expenses by the number of players worldwide (tens of millions, I guess). Not bad, isn't it?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 13:02 
LoopER Chopin

Well I guess they shouldn't have a hard time finding sponsors...
If you put it that way you could compare this situation to ENRON and the california power grid.

Is table tennis hurting that much financially???
I know it is in the united states, but how bout the rest of the world?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 17:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
tabesamis wrote:
Well I guess they shouldn't have a hard time finding sponsors...
If you put it that way you could compare this situation to ENRON and the california power grid.

Is table tennis hurting that much financially???
I know it is in the united states, but how bout the rest of the world?

Most of these ITTF changes are not to make the game better for players, they are designed to (unsuccessfully) try to recreate table tennis as a spectator sport. The ITTF could care less how these changes cause hardships and extra expenses for amateur players.

Players on the ITTF pro tour make ridiculously low wages compared to other sports. The bigger ball (and now an even bigger ball) will do nothing to make the sport more popular.

The sad fact is people don't want to watch a game played on a tiny 5x9 foot "field" located far from onlookers. It's simply not conducive as a spectator sport. Search "table tennis" on YouTube and the videos with the highest view totals certainly aren't ITTF events.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 17:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
TT is a participator sport first and a spectator sport a remote 2nd. As MNNB points out, this is an inherent fact about the game and no amount of change to the game can overcome that situation. The only way to "force" the game to be spectator-friendly is with the use of technology IMO. The trouble is the technology investment and innovation that would be required to take it to the level the ITTF seems to want, is more than anyone would be willing to risk. TT gets advertising and sponsorship, sure. But its peanuts compared to other corporate sponsorships derived by the major spectator sports. Without some massive shift in the world's interest in the game, I can't see TT jumping the hurdle or breaking through the ceiling that keeps it best being primarily a participator sport.

So pushing up the ball size won't achieve anything but to make the game worse for the players, pretty much like everything else the ITTF has done. :@

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 22:48 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
mynamenotbob wrote:
The sad fact is people don't want to watch a game played on a tiny 5x9 foot "field" located far from onlookers. It's simply not conducive as a spectator sport. Search "table tennis" on YouTube and the videos with the highest view totals certainly aren't ITTF events.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
TT is a participator sport first and a spectator sport a remote 2nd. As MNNB points out, this is an inherent fact about the game and no amount of change to the game can overcome that situation. The only way to "force" the game to be spectator-friendly is with the use of technology IMO. The trouble is the technology investment and innovation that would be required to take it to the level the ITTF seems to want, is more than anyone would be willing to risk. TT gets advertising and sponsorship, sure. But its peanuts compared to other corporate sponsorships derived by the major spectator sports. Without some massive shift in the world's interest in the game, I can't see TT jumping the hurdle or breaking through the ceiling that keeps it best being primarily a participator sport.

So pushing up the ball size won't achieve anything but to make the game worse for the players, pretty much like everything else the ITTF has done. :@

+100

I cannot understand why Sharara doesn't understand that, especially being a former player himself and even a defensive one. Anybody told this to adham on this forum?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!