OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 09:17 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy, this rule is for ITTF events only. National associations are under no obligations to accept it.

I agree, but the national associations have generally good reasons to have the same set of rules in every association. That's why the rules are made internationally, with very rare exceptions.

At the same time the grounding fathers (and mothers? :) ) had taken care of possible abuse of the rule making process by establishing the rules of making rules in the ITTF Constitution. So, even if representatives of the NA do not care about the violations of the ITTF Constitution, those violations still remain violations.

I have such a bad feeling, that the guys there (voluntarily) meet once a year to quickly pass a few things and then go over to more important things, like eating, drinking and having a good time. How can we expect them to analyse, what is legal or true, and what is not.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 09:50 
Super User

gdogg1 wrote:
Small changes in ball size can translate to huge differences. If you have not hit with the 44mm ball, I suggest you do. Talk about super slow motion! Of course we are not looking at that much of a change in size. The other "change" is the material. How will that play out? I would guess that the current "prototypes" will be altered for 2 reasons: 1. to get the production and Quality Control right and 2. to assure that the balls do not last as long as the old 38mm.

The 44mm ball is not only larger, but it is lighter than both the 38mm and 40mm ball (2.4g). So it shows what happens when only ball size is increased - fairly significantly.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 09:53 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy, this rule is for ITTF events only. National associations are under no obligations to accept it. Of course, with a worldwide ban coming due to the dangerous material used in table tennis balls, how could they not accept it?

What worldwide ban? Or are you being facetious?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 10:09 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
A world wide ban on celuloid was the original reason given by Adham for a new material for balls. But many including me have not been able to find any refference to a coming worldwide ban on the web.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 10:15 
Super User

hookshot wrote:
A world wide ban on celuloid was the original reason given by Adham for a new material for balls. But many including me have not been able to find any refference to a coming worldwide ban on the web.

Not only worldwide, there is no reference to a celluloid ban in any country.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 12:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Kees wrote:
As the purpose of a forum like this is to share information and discuss it in order to entertain players and help them on as well, to me it seems worthwhile that various and different perspectives on the matter of the new rules on balls are posted here, since it is impossible to have a discussion without having different perspectives, even if some seem to be far-fetched or defy general belief. Unorthodox ideas help us to keep in mind that what we think we know is almost always a partial truth at the most and reality is a lot more complex and hence bewildering than we would be ready to admit. That is why art is suppressed by tyrants (as you will appreciate, Jay, being a photographer). I will, therefore, go on trying to post in as challenging a way as I can, without the intention of being disrespectful to anyone, and I invite everybody to do the same. As all opinions are biased in some way, challenging them seems very necessary to me. Those of you who have read my posts know that I love the sport and that to me the variety of styles is very precious. I strongly objected to the ban on frictionless long pimpled rubbers and feel the same towards any rule which is a real threat to a variety which should be cherished instead of persecuted.
Having said this, I would like to point out that in my opinion it is useless to question Sharara's intentions, or those of other members of the board of the ITTF, unless this questioning is followed by action to counter the ITTF's policy, and oust Sharara and those who think and do like him. I will support any such action, even if I am sadly aware of the fact that new board-members will eventually do the same as Sharara and his sorry lot, because this is how power works – it corrupts and only, or mainly, the corruptible seek it for that very reason. If no action is taken, I will be just as happy helping to figure out how to deal with the, then, inevitable new ball and frustrate any malevolent intent the board may have with it. I guess this will take a creative effort. Unorthodox ideas tend to help creativity on its way, so rather than ridiculing or rebuking posts we do not instantly agree with, we should welcome them and use them in this way, in as far as this is possible.

Nice post, Kees. :up: With my philosophical background I totally understand what you're trying to say here and I agree with you totally. But for most people (especially in their daily activity) these words mean nothing... :( Although they are really worthwhile. I'm not going to take this further, because some will find it (unreasonably) off topic. If you want, PM me, because I find your views about subjects like these very interesting and similar to mine.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 14:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes a good post indeed Kees! :up:
I would support action too, but don't have the time or energy to lead such action...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6