OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Shoulder endurance
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 15:56 

When backhand drilling, my shoulder tends to get tired quite quickly, especially if I’m doing backhand loops. My coach has said to relax my shoulder while looping topspin balls and instead use more forearm and wrist, however I find my balls to have much less speed and spin with only a small increase in stamina.

Do any of you have tips for improving my shoulder endurance? Any exercises that you guys recommend? I have a few dumbbells at home that I’m able to use.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Shoulder endurance
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 16:12 
Super User

I find dumbbells don't exercise the same muscle groups.

Practice more often, shadow exercises on off days. You can try working in some elastic band exercises using the same motion as well. But usually, the tiredness/soreness dissipates over time.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 18:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
HenryBraxton wrote:
When backhand drilling, my shoulder tends to get tired quite quickly, especially if I’m doing backhand loops. My coach has said to relax my shoulder while looping topspin balls and instead use more forearm and wrist, however I find my balls to have much less speed and spin with only a small increase in stamina.

Do any of you have tips for improving my shoulder endurance? Any exercises that you guys recommend? I have a few dumbbells at home that I’m able to use.

Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same problem... have not found a solution as yet.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 19:40 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
If you are able to add a session and up the frequency of your backhand drilling this will be a good way to build up work capacity. More often than not, the best way to improve is to simply practice the skill more and build up slowly while interspersing periods of rest for recovery. Specificity is king.

You also may benefit from paying some extra attention to some of the more neglected muscles of the rotator cuff with some light band work. External rotations and face pulls are a good place to start. Keep things in the 10-20 rep range and you will quickly recreate that burning feeling you get when drilling. Work on improving your strength and work capacity slowly over time in addition to drilling more and you should notice a big improvement!

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 20:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're the man Joo Se Kev! :up: :rock:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!