OOAK Table Tennis Forum
https://ooakforum.com/

Ranking ITTF
https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41969
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Monica [ 03 Feb 2024, 16:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

Diegox wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
I don't think you'd actually start from zero points. They'll evaluate you somehow to figure out your initial rating, and then after you play a couple tournaments or some games in a league your rating will go up/down depending on who you beat or lose to. If you start from zero points a whole bunch of people will have to lose points for you to get to your true rating. :lol:

Iskandar


Sorry for my English. This is that I meant by starting from 0. I think you start also from the average of raiting points of the players of your league plus the first results as far as I understood. At least I could see that in my case here was also like this.

Regards.


DiegOX,
I cannot believe you are still taking Iskandar Taib seriously
A rating of 0 is indeed possible. The software simply would leave any negative value as just 0
Take a look at my attachment below for 2100+ USATT ratings shown as 0

In fact take a look at this tournament. They have an event just for players rated below 25 LOL
Event name is Under 25 RR (Round Robin)
https://omnipong.com/T-tourney.asp?t=102&r=3626&h=

Attachments:
USATT 0 rating.jpg
USATT 0 rating.jpg [ 70.34 KiB | Viewed 1969 times ]

Author:  Diegox [ 03 Feb 2024, 17:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

Monica wrote:
Diegox wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
I don't think you'd actually start from zero points. They'll evaluate you somehow to figure out your initial rating, and then after you play a couple tournaments or some games in a league your rating will go up/down depending on who you beat or lose to. If you start from zero points a whole bunch of people will have to lose points for you to get to your true rating. :lol:

Iskandar


Sorry for my English. This is that I meant by starting from 0. I think you start also from the average of raiting points of the players of your league plus the first results as far as I understood. At least I could see that in my case here was also like this.

Regards.


DiegOX,
I cannot believe you are still taking Iskandar Taib seriously
A rating of 0 is indeed possible. The software simply would leave any negative value as just 0
Take a look at my attachment below for 2100+ USATT ratings shown as 0


Hi, and why it can happen? I can imagine the only way is that you register and you don’t participate, isn’t it? Or there is an other way to get 0.

Thanks for opening this information.

Regards.

Author:  Monica [ 03 Feb 2024, 17:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

Diegox wrote:

Hi, and why it can happen? I can imagine the only way is that you register and you don’t participate, isn’t it? Or there is an other way to get 0.

.


Yes you are correct
If there is no tournament activity, it seems they are assigned a rating of 0 .
While that value is not practically meaningful, a value has to be assigned mathematically.
I guess it takes some programming to assign a symbol such as a - or NRY (Not Rated Yet) because these are not numbers.
They could just leave it blank I guess .

Author:  Diegox [ 03 Feb 2024, 18:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

Monica wrote:
Diegox wrote:

Hi, and why it can happen? I can imagine the only way is that you register and you don’t participate, isn’t it? Or there is an other way to get 0.

.


Yes you are correct
If there is no tournament activity, it seems they are assigned a rating of 0 .
While that value is not practically meaningful, a value has to be assigned mathematically.
I guess it takes some programming to assign a symbol such as a - or NRY (Not Rated Yet) because these are not numbers.
They could just leave it blank I guess .


Fantastic information, thanks.

Author:  iskandar taib [ 03 Apr 2024, 17:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

Monica wrote:
DiegOX,
I cannot believe you are still taking Iskandar Taib seriously
A rating of 0 is indeed possible. The software simply would leave any negative value as just 0
Take a look at my attachment below for 2100+ USATT ratings shown as 0


This is something new. The last time I looked (several years ago) they didn't list anyone who hadn't played in any tournaments. And obviously they wouldn't use "0" as a starting point when you play your first tournament. If they did there would be a bunch of people losing huge numbers of points because you beat them. They do what I said they'd do, which would be to estimate your rating and then give you a rating based on who you ended up winning or losing to. This initial rating should be north of 500 at least.

Iskandar

Author:  Diegox [ 03 Apr 2024, 19:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Ranking ITTF

iskandar taib wrote:
Monica wrote:
DiegOX,
I cannot believe you are still taking Iskandar Taib seriously
A rating of 0 is indeed possible. The software simply would leave any negative value as just 0
Take a look at my attachment below for 2100+ USATT ratings shown as 0


This is something new. The last time I looked (several years ago) they didn't list anyone who hadn't played in any tournaments. And obviously they wouldn't use "0" as a starting point when you play your first tournament. If they did there would be a bunch of people losing huge numbers of points because you beat them. They do what I said they'd do, which would be to estimate your rating and then give you a rating based on who you ended up winning or losing to. This initial rating should be north of 500 at least.

Iskandar


From my experience here, when I registered for tournament before playing the rating was A, mean waiting for the first result. Then I got my first rating based on the result and the average of player in the tournament. This is how I understood it works.

Thanks to both of you.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/