OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 07:06 
King of Ping!

I have a question for you guys (and gals). In one of the posts one of you reminded me that at the lower levels there should be more freedom to use a variety of equipment to help the lower level player perform better. My understanding is that the "majority" of the lower level players are in favour of the low-friction levels, and that the min ority is very angry about it.

Now here is my question:
Since the ITTF rules are made for the international level, but most national associations adopt them fully, would you think that National Associations should let players use whatever they want (other than harmful substances) up to a certain level? let's say at the lower division leagues? Like in England?

What do you think?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 09:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Adham,

Let`s resume to this very "peculiar" adhesive..
To my best Knowledge it is not a standard product. It does not meet the T4 Technical Regulations for its over thick layer of non-standard material.
Hence, this product is ILLEGAL to use at official matches, is it ??

In this too, I`d like very,very much the T4 Leaflet to impose a special requirement for the PSA products to be marked with a producer LOGO`s all over surface.
This is to make much easier for the umpire to check legality of the PSA sheets.

Igor NOVICK
national umpire

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 12:37 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
adham wrote:
I have a question for you guys (and gals). In one of the posts one of you reminded me that at the lower levels there should be more freedom to use a variety of equipment to help the lower level player perform better. My understanding is that the "majority" of the lower level players are in favour of the low-friction levels, and that the min ority is very angry about it.

Now here is my question:
Since the ITTF rules are made for the international level, but most national associations adopt them fully, would you think that National Associations should let players use whatever they want (other than harmful substances) up to a certain level? let's say at the lower division leagues? Like in England?

What do you think?

Most certainly not, if you ask me! With different rules, the step up would always be harder as you would not only be facing stronger opponents, you would also be facing new regulations.

Use the frictionless as an example, if they were allowed in the lower divisions, I'm sure a lot of people would use them and reach a higher level with them. Then all of a sudden, they have reached the level were they are no longer legal, now what should they do? Stay in the lower level and dominate that, and perhaps stop others from reaching the higher level? Or, try to make the transition to a higher level with a new set of rubbers, wasting the higher level players time with a set up they don't fully master?

What if me and another player in my club fights for promotion to the higher levelled team, he uses frictionless and I use regular rubbers. he beats me and take the step up, were he is forced to change rubbers and might actually then be below me in level? Then he will have stopped me from making my progress while he will waste other peoples time by playing in a level where he don't belong.

I fully support the unison rule for all levels.

*Edit* Note, I support it for all kind of levels, but I could accept specific rules for different age groups, such as vet's tournaments could allow for frictionless. But this would only be valid in vet's tournament and a vet player shouldn't be able to enter an open tournament with his frictionless and claiming his age gives him the right to use it.

Interesting about the veterans comment. So it would be acceptable you think by the majority of the vets players?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 12:41 
King of Ping!

igorponger wrote:
Adham,

Let`s resume to this very "peculiar" adhesive..
To my best Knowledge it is not a standard product. It does not meet the T4 Technical Regulations for its over thick layer of non-standard material.
Hence, this product is ILLEGAL to use at official matches, is it ??

In this too, I`d like very,very much the T4 Leaflet to impose a special requirement for the PSA products to be marked with a producer LOGO`s all over surface.
This is to make much easier for the umpire to check legality of the PSA sheets.

Igor NOVICK
national umpire

I really do not know this product at all. If it is an adhesive, then it should be OK. As I aid, if its principal function is as an adhesive, then it is OK. Which part of T-4 forbids it? I do agree, that some thickness specification should be made to avoid additives, but for the time being why would you think it's illegal? Please direct us to that section of the rules or T-4 that makes it illegal. So far, I have not heard of it being illegal, but maybe you are right.

Post subject: Playing Adham!
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 15:09 

I've got my severely stretched Sriver (Euci Oil) and glassy pip (no ITTF logo to be found anywhere on it) ready to play Adham . . . winner takes all or winner takes it all off - Adham's choice (Mei Guan Xie! :-). Bring it on Mr. President. Tzai is greasing up his rubbers in anticipation. :lol: I'm carrying with me some great pointers from Borko, Hookshot, and an ex-pro Chinese dude. That combined with my inflated ego will make me a scary opponent. I will be wearing a bright orange shirt with an anarchy sign slashed through the Federation emblem. Oh, you will be putty in my hands.

Name the time.
Name the place.

I will be there!!!

Post subject: Re: Playing Adham!
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 16:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tommy Zai wrote:
I've got my severely stretched Sriver (Euci Oil) and glassy pip (no ITTF logo to be found anywhere on it) ready to play Adham . . . winner takes all or winner takes it all off - Adham's choice (Mei Guan Xie! :-). Bring it on Mr. President. Tzai is greasing up his rubbers in anticipation. :lol: I'm carrying with me some great pointers from Borko, Hookshot, and an ex-pro Chinese dude. That combined with my inflated ego will make me a scary opponent. I will be wearing a bright orange shirt with an anarchy sign slashed through the Federation emblem. Oh, you will be putty in my hands.

Name the time.
Name the place.

I will be there!!!

Hi Adham,

Our TommyZai here has a history of TT challenges like this. The last one he won a another lippy guys bat and gave it back to him covered in vaseline or something lol. Take up his challenge of you wish! :shock:
But I warn you he backs up his bravado! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe if you win, he has to eat his glassy pips! :P :lol: :lol:

Just a tip: He's in China very soon for a holiday...good time to issue the challenge, but name the place as Canada! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 18:54 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

speedplay wrote:
Tzai, I've seen you play and I have read about Adhams level. You would be wasting his time, as would I as he would probably beat both of us blind folded.

Yes I would have to agree with Speedplay.....
Adham has played in all forms of competitive table tennis, including the professional level...
and I would have to say challenging him now. Is a term of arrogance...... just leave the challenge as such and don't continue further, as Speedplay has mentioned.

Metal Monkey.

Post subject: Re: Playing Adham!
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:18 
King of Ping!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Tommy Zai wrote:

Name the time.
Name the place.

I will be there!!!

Hi Adham,

Our TommyZai here has a history of TT challenges like this. The last one he won a another lippy guys bat and gave it back to him covered in vaseline or something lol. Take up his challenge of you wish! :shock:
But I warn you he backs up his bravado! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe if you win, he has to eat his glassy pips! :P :lol: :lol:

Just a tip: He's in China very soon for a holiday...good time to issue the challenge, but name the place as Canada! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommy is my friend. I will give him a chance to train in China first, then we could have a showdown there. In fact, I have already told him that we could meet and play in China.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ah so you are already acquainted with Tommy. This is good!

I personally would love to see a vid of you playing Tommy in a "SHOWDOWN" match. I think it would be mega-entertaining!

Adham, can you tell us more about your TT style please?

I know very little of your history in the game. Some highlights of your "career" would be most interesting also I think. :D :D

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:25 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
Tzai, I've seen you play and I have read about Adhams level. You would be wasting his time, as would I as he would probably beat both of us blind folded.

Adham, I'm not sure about the vet's views on this, seeing how it was amongst the vet's this rubber enjoyed it's greatest success. Perhaps the complaints came from them?

But as I see it, I wouldn't have a problem to allow them in vet's tournaments as many vets seemed to use them, and the youths who are up and coming aren't eligible to play in those comps, while it is up to the vet's if they want to mess up their game with different sets of rubbers or if they want to stick to the vets tournaments.

Level of play: I'm sure it wil make for nice matches. I will play 100% defense and see how you guys do against that.

Vets: This is interesting. I will mention it to the World Veternas Committee and to the Swaythling Club. They are in charge of international veteran events. If the majority of veterans wish to have a particular equipment, they could decide within their own organisation to adopt it. But I have been told that the majority of veterans were in favour of the low-friction rule, because it reduced a minority of players that they considered to be so called "material players" as they call it in Germany. First time I heard this expression I thought they were talking about gamblers (material in the sense of money).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:38 
King of Ping!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

I personally would love to see a vid of you playing Tommy in a "SHOWDOWN" match. I think it would be mega-entertaining!

I know very little of your history in the game. Some highlights of your "career" would be most interesting also I think. :D :D

I have already written and posted these details, but can't remember in which Forum and when, otherwise I would just copy it and paste it here. very briefly:
Style of play: something like Alser of Sweden, but not at all his level of course, but I could also defend (chop). So a sort of all-round player, mid-distance from the table, mixing defense and attack, depending on the opponent. My strength was against left-handed loopers, my weakness way against the super-fast good close-to-the-table attackers.
Level: At 17 I was No.1 Canadian Junior. From Age 17 to about 25 I was always in top 8 players in Canada. I was on the National Team breifly for 3-4 years in the 1970s, circa 1973-77 or so. I representaed Canada at international events at French Open, USA Open, English Open, Japan, Commonwealth Championships, etc. in the 1970s. I was coached by some Canadian coaches and also by Sido (Hungary) and later by Cordas (Croatia) and also furing a training camp in Japan by Maehara and Ogimura.
Coaching: I started coaching kids when I was 15. I love to coach. I coached the Women's National Team of Canada when I was 19 at the 1973 WTTC in Sarajevo. I attended every WTTC since in some capacity (Coach, captain, manager, Continental representative, ITTF official, etc.). I coached many Canadian players over the years. In the last 9 years as ITTF president I have very little time to coach. But I will start again soon (I have set-up a sport and health centre on a non-profit basis in a low-income neighborhood in my city, which is being renovated now. It will serve as my base to recruit and coach young kids, as well as to offer to the community a safe place to call home). My wife is helping me. She is Mariann Domonkos, who was 10-times Canadian Champion and had a decent international career as a player coming from Canada. She also played in the Bundesliga in 1981-82 or so. Her best World Ranking was No. 64 in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

Although I enjoyed competing a lot at local, national and some international tournaments, my real love of the game has always been through coaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:48 
King of Ping!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Tommy is a great guy. He wants to improve and raise his level. I am sure he will do it. He is very motivated. he also thinks he can beat me because of "trash talk", Wjat he does not know, is that I am the "trash talk" Champion of the world. I just keep it down because of my position, but when the gloves are off, watch out Tommy, you have never seen or heard anything like this. Of course it's all polite talk, but the kind that will drive you crazy. I was able to beat "in practice" many much better players than me (including my wife while she was still competing), when I unleashed by tirade of trash talk on them. When we had an umpire in a match, then I would struggle to beat them.

But really, Tommy is a nice guy and it would be my pleasure to have a friendly match with him and a nice chat. he promised to let me know his itinerary in China so we could get together there. Hopefully I am there at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:50 
King of Ping!

metal monkey wrote:
speedplay wrote:

Yes I would have to agree with Speedplay.....
Adham has played in all forms of competitive table tennis, including the professional level...
and I would have to say challenging him now. Is a term of arrogance...... just leave the challenge as such and don't continue further, as Speedplay has mentioned.

Metal Monkey.

No problem. I'm old and slow now, so he will do well. Just watch out for my spin variations, they are wicked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 00:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks Adham. I'm not on any other forum that you visit, so I've not had the chance to read any of this before. It sounds like TT has been your life and is firmly in your blood. Good luck with your new coaching pursuits between yourself and your wife. I'd say you are blessed to have such a thing to share between you, given it is both your interests/passions. And I'd say the kids/people that get to use your new centre will also be extremely fortunate that you have decided to do it. Well done/Bravo!

Post subject: Adham: Thank You!
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2008, 03:01 

My challenge is sincere as is my respect and friendship with Adham. I am grateful for the upcoming opportunity . . . not just to play, but to spend time with a great guy, who despite all the bashing is still online hashing it all out with us. I cannot imagine having a president so patient and thick-skinned and kind.

GAME: I am honored that Adham has accepted my challenge and I agree to the terms . . . How about soon after June 20, 2009? That will give me a minimum of 6-months to train as you suggested. As of 12/20/08 (yesterday), I have gone into intense training. I will work on my game a minimum of 5-hours a day. For the next three weeks I'll drill with Hookshot. Borko is getting me game ready by building up my mental toughness and a blade that he promises will add at least 2-points to each game (hopefully for me) :-). The Saturday after New Year's we hope to visit Tat's Garage and get some tips from a super pipper. I have an ex-provincial team player working with me on Sundays. AND, my kung fu kicking Chinese girlfriend continues to surprise me night and day with sudden attacks to keep my reflexes sharp.

THANK YOU ADHAM.

ME VERSUS YOU IN A FRIENDLY BUT VICIOUS TRASH TALKING MATCH . . . GUANGZHOU, SUMMER OF 2009?

I WILL BE READY!

LOVE YA BRO!!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!